MOT

campervanannie

Good news the van only failed on the rear light cluster but I knew that it was bust (a fight with a post) and advisory on the front tyres the garage knows I don’t do advisories so the changed them like for like with Mitchelin Agilis £140 each , had a part service done even though the engine was completely rebuilt back in October thought a filter and oil change was in order they fixed a few none mot things like a loose EHU inlet total £660 which I don’t think is bad well my baby is back on my drive so just to repack and then off this afternoon to meet up with Sue (Daisymini) .

Took mine in today to usual place.
They bought a new ramp that will no longer fit my tag axle.
Sent me away!
Rebooked for Friday at a new place with a very friendly guy.

Mine done 2 weeks ago
2 New tyres
New brake pads etc other minor items (rear numberplate light bulbs)
Full service £585 (Oil Filters etc)
Happy happy happy

Took me TWO days to change the stop light bulbs in the rear clusters. How come simple little jobs turn into a major undertaking. Simple enough job just undo two screws on each light and replace the bulb BUT the screws just turned round and round because the factory had used steel blind nuts in the plastic. The stainless screws were stuck and WD40 could not get near it. Finished up drilling a big hole into the back of the light cluster from the garage and getting hold of the nut with pliers. Put new alloy blind nuts in with plenty of grease just in case I need to get in there again.

Pass with flying colours.

Tester used the words "tickety boo" and "tip-top". Then complimented me on my handbrake.

I like him!

Place that just does MOT's so no incentive to chase for extra work.

Took me TWO days to change the stop light bulbs in the rear clusters. How come simple little jobs turn into a major undertaking.

I bought a Discovery off my daughter a few years back. Two jobs needed doing:- Replace the thermostat and new break light. OK I thought 2 hours for the thermostat because they are always awkward and 20 mins for the light bulb because I'll have a brew which will take 19 minutes.

Thermostat totally accessible job done in 10 minutes :)

Check manual on break lights - First remove the side facing rear seats!. Job took 5 hours. :(.

I kept the Disco for 10 years and no other light bulbs went - thank goodness

My mate MOTs our van and cars for the last 40 years.Luckly I’ve never payed for any of them + no labour charges so I think I’ve save a few bob over the years lolol

Took mine in today to usual place.
They bought a new ramp that will no longer fit my tag axle.
Sent me away!
Rebooked for Friday at a new place with a very friendly guy.
My regular garage replaced their pit with a 4-post lift, too small for my van, so they sent it to a nearby garage who could test it. Serious fail, with brake efficiency well below 50%. I was looking for somewhere to get the brakes looked at, when I realised that they were the same as they'd ever been.
I took it to a nearer MOT centre, where the brakes showed over 82% efficiency. An easy pass, apart from two things the other garage hadn't noticed! Not hard to fix, fortunately.
When I looked carefully at the MOT history, there were a few very dubious fails, with passes less than two days, 20 miles, later.
One fail was the rear suspension was on its bump stops. But it doesn't have bump stops, it has air suspension with a pump that automatically starts and raises the suspension when you turn the ignition on.
One fail another year was slack in the front ball joints, which are spring loaded and meant to have some slack.
The pass after that was at a different garage on the same day. I bet they didn't change the ball joints, because they were mentioned as an advisory the next year (and intermittently thereafter). I've never changed them, and get an advisory about them on one test in two.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back