Mot tests

All three of our vehicles are due in the next two months so it is one less thing to worry about, I do not like sorning the van off the road even if I cannot go away in it

i shall be consulting with the garage i use, if theyre working ill have tests as and when theyre due , the mot is a pain but it is for everyones safety that vehicles are checked. the garage will no doubt be glad of the turnover . theyve got rent rates , staff to pay etc.
if my garage isnt working i do have the skills and facilities to do basic safety checks myself but a lot of people dont and when push comes to shove the mot is the only thing that stops idiots in deathtraps mowing down my grand children

I had mine done yesterday and although turns out could have not bothered, there is peace of mind knowing it had the once-over. (also had the service done so that is out the way as well).

Mots March 30 will receive 6 months grace ,garages will remain open as you have to keep the vehicle maintained .just on tv the now

Hell mine would have needed doing on March the 30th but I had it done yesterday. It passed with flying colours but now its done i can't use it anywhere and did not have had to have it done grrrrr.
.... Tom ....

Had our two cars done today.They were not due until mid April but we managed to get them both sorted and both passed with some small advisories .If we had waited we would have got the extension.But Im glad they are done.Our Garage due to COVID19 is now doing a 4 day week as people arent booking Services etc.So the Coronavirus is affecting everone.What I feel is if this situation improves( god willing ) in the next few months then all will be booking their Mots at the same time come September?

Anyone else find it confusing?
A six month extension after March 30th?
Mines due in July.
Does that mean extension unti January....or six months after March ( i.e September)

The way I read it, there is a 6 month extension from the normal due date for any vehicle that is due an MOT between 31st March 2020 and 30th March 2021 (so this policy will run for a year).
So if MOT due on say 16th May (My van), it will be extended to 16th November.
I suspect it is being done to run on for a year to avoid there being a glut of MOTs for 6 months each year and very few for the other 6 months a year in the future.

The MOT check system will in the next few days show the new due date for each vehicle.

Last edited:
Ours isn't due til May, recently had new tyres/brakes done, and checked over so think we'll just play it by ear and see what happens. At least it's one less thing to worry about.

Anyone else find it confusing?
A six month extension after March 30th?
Mines due in July.
Does that mean extension unti January....or six months after March ( i.e September)

Here's .gov page

Hell mine would have needed doing on March the 30th but I had it done yesterday. It passed with flying colours but now its done i can't use it anywhere and did not have had to have it done grrrrr.
.... Tom ....

Ours but ours isn’t due until 27th of this month but I’ve got it on SORN until this plies over.

Cheers

H

This could become a nightmare down the track when suddenly half the cars on the road need an mot at the same time,as it stands I have to book my truck six months before the due date,think I'll get in now and book it.

This could become a nightmare down the track when suddenly half the cars on the road need an mot at the same time,as it stands I have to book my truck six months before the due date,think I'll get in now and book it.

That's not the case.

As the above link explains the MOT date is to be extended by six months e.g. if it's due on 5th April the date will become 5th October.

Why do you need to book 6th months ahead? is it a class 4 MOT as a Motorhome, or are you still tested as an HGV at a VOSA site? If it is a VOSA HGV test, there is a different extension period.

Why do you need to book 6th months ahead? is it a class 4 MOT as a Motorhome, or are you still tested as an HGV at a VOSA site? If it is a VOSA HGV test, there is a different extension period.

I'm tested as an HGV and since there's only 2 VOSA testing sites in the Poole/Bournemouth/Christchurch conurbation there's always a backlog. The first year I did it I rang a couple of weeks before it was due and pretty much got laughed at,I got lucky as they had a cancellation eventually.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back