Money abroad

We used to use Nationwide Flex until they started charging, have used the Halifax Clarity card for years. Found getting money out no problem but as someone said check the ATM isn't making a charge as I've been caught a couple of times. Always have some cash hidden away, try to keep enough to at least buy fuel for getting home if we can't use or lose our cards. Have one each as they are no cost if paid off in full, use one for getting cash out & the other for buying. Can use cards for even the smallest amounts so more convenient than cash. Be very careful if you do have a substantial amount of cash in your van did meet somebody who had a few thousand Euros stolen in Spain. In the past have made false panels or hiding places to hide cash & valuables. Sure I've probably forgot & left cash in previous vans.

Aso use Caxton just load it up as you need it , but this year in France we did find a couple of Aires would not accept it

Well, Thank you my friends for all your helpful suggestions and observations too, I've now ordered a Halifax card. I must admit how easy it was. I've never had a credit card, although Sue has one, because debt scares the living daylights out of me. But maybe it was too easy, I dunno, but because I was able to enable them to automatically withdraw by direct debit the outstanding stuff, it seems as though I have hit on a win win situation--but time will tell. Thank you all once again and, health permitting, we can give it a Continental bashing in the New Year.
Peter

Halifax Clarity do charge interest on taking cash out until the card is cleared, although they say you can't pre-load the card I have done it sometimes. Other times you can see how much it is for getting money out by looking at the available credit & what the credit limit you have on the card, this shows often a day or so before it shows on the statement. The interest they charge is not that much anyway compared to the favourable exchange rate you get, I've never had to pay more than a few pence extra before I could clear the card. Remember you have to clear the whole balance to avoid charges, this is why both the wife & I have separate cards one for getting cash (which I clear on the same day) & one for paying for fuel, food etc. as this card gets paid off automatically at the end of the month without incurring any charges.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back