Mobile telephone ????

oppy

Bag of worms eh !!I have to confess to having 2 mobile telephones, one being a 15 year old clam shell type and the other a 'DooGee' "smart phone" about 8 or 10 years old. The smarty one stays in the van because it has 2 sim cards and until recently it was great whilst visiting Jonny Foreigner. The little flip phone lives in the car for use in an emergency. One of our members blessed us with a modern 'smart phone' not so long ago, my son got rid of all their gubbins and installed some of mine. Well I soon realised that a smart phone is an oxymoron, it's not smart at all, but one needs to be a graduate in astro physics to make it so, I've only got a C&G. Anyway it has now been passed on to another of our happy WC band.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at folks personal preferences, just the silliness of things

Last edited:

Jeff G

A camera that does 8k and 33mp? A lot more than a grand.Who wants another big box to carry round when your phone can do it all

landoboguy

I use mine all the time for work related things and it can pretty much do the same as a small pc. I have been down the route of 800/900 and more, now I use this virtually indestructable one from Blackview and its fine, fell out of my pocket umpteem times and no crack whatsoever 140 quid

oppy

I use mine all the time for work related things and it can pretty much do the same as a small pc. I have been down the route of 800/900 and more, now I use this virtually indestructable one from Blackview and its fine, fell out of my pocket umpteem times and no crack whatsoever 140 quid

Android 9.0 Pie
Now that I like especially if it's meat and tatty---------------(sorry)

trevskoda

Mine is a 46 bucks phone from china,duel sim and 1 gig mem with a 3 and 5 mp cam,most of the stuff on it i cannot use ,like google etc as it wants to gather my what and wheres,but the maps me is handy when lost in the wilds,esp at night.

oppy

Before I knock off and fall off my perch, I feel that I, or rather we, should offer our most grateful thanks to one of our members who not only had a smart phone, he knew how to drive it. Between him and his lovely wife they managed to get us from captivity in Portugal back here to Blighty. It was a great but tiring trip and my body is still recovering, so from Sue and I thanks owlhouse for everything (including fixing our satnagy thing). So maybe phobile mones are not altogether that bad, just over priced.
Bon Nuit

mariesnowgoose

Just my opinion, but a smartphone is ok for snapshots enhanced with software wizardry, a proper camera is best for photography.
Are you meaning 'serious', i.e. professional photography?

I find the camera on the iPhone is good enough for what I need, but then I'm neither professional nor a photographer!
😂 😂 😂 😁 ;)

Snapster

I suppose it depends on what you want from a photo. I’m not a professional or really very serious, but I do like a decent camera.

oppy

We just use a camera, then load in to the computer, edit and discard the junk ones and then print, simplicity itself. Our little canon ixus is actually smaller than the flip phone, so fits easily into the pocket and does not require lots of fiddling in order to take a picture. Not much good I suppose if you are a selfie junkie though

alwaysared

As more and more folk now work from home and security will be a big thing ,you will find people will switch away from android and win 10 to stop data snatching and spyware,just yesterday another old friend phoned me asking could i switch him over to linux though he is a bit scared as he says he needs win programes for music,i had to explane all is in it and free,dont think he can get his head round this as yet,microsoft brain washing,well done Mr Gates. :mad:
You shouldn't knock Bill Gates for making money, he saw a need which even the giant IBM corp laughed at. At least he's spending some of his money on doing some good in the world even in the race to get a cure for Covid 19. He actually warned a few years ago that a pandemic would do more harm to the world than a war and that no western country was preparing for it. Seems like he was right then aswell!
I use and love Linux products but Microsoft opened up the computer world to all of us, not just the big corporations and the rich.
Another thing to remember is Microsoft are a premium sponsor for the Open Source Initiative :unsure:

Regards,
Del

colinmd

I have a 'pocket computer' (well for big pockets with it's 6.3" screen), I've used it to guide me across many countries in the world, it takes fairly decent photo's, it tells me the weather, it has the full UK OS maps, it translates signs, documents, and speech, I can read ebooks on it, it is a torch, I can do my banking, do me emails, I can read what all the old duffers post on here, it has a scientific calculator, it is my calendar(without it I forget everything), it has a tuner for my guitar, it is my clock, it has my music on it, I can point it at the night sky wherever I am and know the stars, there's probably loads more it can do if I could be bothered. Oh and I occasionally make phone calls on it. 😜

bedonwheels

Always happy to not let the side down. I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new/used Smartphone, please note how extravagant I have become, - oh and the price includes P&P :)

fullsizeoutput_1b2.jpeg

Robmac

Back in the 80's I was always on call from work. This meant that I had to take a 'mobile' home with me as well as to the pub at lunchtime etc.

It was HUGE and weighed a ton! As things progressed and 'phones got smaller and lighter I bought myself a Motorola Startac flip phone - luxury!;

This was my favourite ever 'phone. Very compact and you hardly knew you had it in your pocket. Battery life was ok for it's time but I always carried a spare li-on battery for it which I seem to recall was quite a bit thicker than the original battery. Defeated the object of having a compact 'phone really.

I've still got it somewhere.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:177)

Nidge, Edina, campervanannie, TeamRienza, 2cv, witzend, channa, Jandb4, AdriaTwin, helen262, sparrks, Carrerasax, Asterix, dunfillin, Wully, mistericeman, scampa, chrisjones18, harrow, RoaminRog, yorkslass, Val54, hmssnake, Geeky Philip, barryd, highlandron, wildebus, helmit, Robmac, denmar, maingate, Pauljenny, izwozral, Biggarmac, 1807truckman, Winger, ATwin, Tim120, Alberto, Obanboy666, jeanette, POI Admin, phase3begins, Fraseb01, Budgie, fiona68, REC, iampatman, mariesnowgoose, ian1950, Yelto, st3v3, Scotia, mjvw, davef, Tezza33, jagmanx, Wooie1958, yorkshireCPLE, londontavern, GeoffL, GinaRon, Moonraker 2, TJBi, yorkieowl, colinmd, jerrycan, GreggBear, Neckender, Roy Laura, vtwinner, silverweed, alwaysared, mofish, Clunegapyears, vanmandan, bobbrigside, Snapster, Harrytherid, Liberty hall, rugbyken, Sky, Buzzard, Fisherman, Justjack, Martin P, trevskoda, lands43, pamjon, carmel thornton, pj650, clarkpeacock, toasty, Harrers, trixie88, reiverlad, Jeff G, landoboguy, mygrassisblue, winks, Dowel, JVG, Bigshug, I&MK, caledonia, timatabsa, defender, gwenmc, ricc, number14, molly 2, ironman, Mandoman, Mikael, Monkeybrand, bedonwheels, Maci, Alun100, gettingolder2, 5andy, davepierson, griffs10, Blue Lady, nomis64, tobym, thenomads, Andrew Milward, IscubaToo, yorkscol, eriksleden, Okta, wilfyboy, clareandpeter, RichardP, dd1948, H Traveller, berniem, Clarkster, BlueToo, metcalfs, Skiptonian, spigot, Tallyman, guitarcamper, mjhall37, Jonned, davidjlambert, bilbo, MikeB, phillhend, enhanceco, mry716, alanfleming, Steveboy, Chocky, 2Coops, JoeH, in h, NalaK, Bacup lad, mhm21, arkwright, Zola, Dads Train, brunobrian, Full Member, onion, Pandaman2020, john lawrance, Weels, charlie356, topchook, roadroamer, MikeRS, paulcmackie, MrKenny, Paolo,