Mobile telephone ????

oppy

I've just received a promotion posting offering me a HUAWEI P30 for the bargain price of nearly £500, who in their right mind would pay this kind of money for a telephone? Obviously some must do, but isn't it daft, I've even seen some nearer a grand, it's barmy, I think that some folks ought to get in touch with reality
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

witzend

£500, who in their right mind would pay this kind of money for a telephone? There's a lot will pay 3 times that can't vouch for there state of Mind

oppy

Ok, it's beyond me, but then again I'm a kind of troglodyte, but if you can afford it and it makes you feel good, go for it Anyway, I'm going back to being quiet and sucking mi thumb

barryd

I Guess they are not just telephones anymore though. They are pretty much mini tablets / computers. I agree though, I would never pay that for a phone. Partly as Ive always got mine for free but also because I nearly always break them, drop them in the drink etc. For some people its all they use for all their online stuff now. Give me a decent laptop any day though.

wildebus

I've just received a promotion posting offering me a HUAWEI P30 for the bargain price of nearly £500, who in their right mind would pay this kind of money for a telephone? Obviously some must do, but isn't it daft, I've even seen some nearer a grand, it's barmy, I think that some folks ought to get in touch with reality I don't mind spending more then might seem sensible for some stuff, but I am with you 100% on that kind of money for a Mobile phone (but as others have said, you spend a lot more!) I upgraded my phone last September. 6.8" screen and I reckon it does everything a iPhone or Samsung does, but it cost £130.

Pauljenny

Is it 5G.. Peter..? Have nothing to do with it . I've read on the internet, that not only will it kill you . All your friends, family and contacts, too , will all get Corvirus 21, which is just waiting to attack the Western world, when 5G is rolled out. My friend Donald, J Fart, a well respected American Scientist and President, knows a thing or 3. ....

wildebus

Is it 5G.. Peter..? Have nothing to do with it . I've read on the internet, that not only will it kill you . All your friends, family and contacts, too , will all get Corvirus 21, which is just waiting to attack the Western world, when 5G is rolled out. My friend Donald, J Fart, a well respected American Scientist and President, knows a thing or 3. .... You forget to point out it needs recharging via Windmill power so will give you cancer before it kills you. However ... you can get a tablet to fix that. just goto www.trumppharma.com/fakenews for 1% off.

oppy

Do you remember the time when they were making them as small as possible? Surely if you have a pc, tablet & a laptop why does one need something that makes all these redundant whilst still keeping them, barmy........I remember back in the 70s manufacturers would put another shiny nob/ switch on their overpriced stereo system and all the aficionados thought that they were the best thing since sliced bread ! Maybe I'm just too cynical for my own good, but surely if it does the job and it aint broke, why change it. And there are far more better things that one can do if they so much spare cash

izwozral

There is something obscene about that sort of needless extravagance. $48.5 million could do so much good for so many people but I guess if you are shallow enough to want to ponce around with a pimped up phone then you don't really give a frig about other people.

wildebus

There is something obscene about that sort of needless extravagance. $48.5 million could do so much good for so many people but I guess if you are shallow enough to want to ponce around with a pimped up phone then you don't really give a frig about other people. I guess the idea is to show off your wealth? but it just backfires so badly :(

channa

A young lady turned up with a diamond encrusted “ look at me phone” on posh pawn, turned out technology had moved on the phone was practically useless. I bought my first iPhone used from ex when working in Wales..the FaceTime apple equivalent was invaluable take photos instantly be in contact with the factory in west York’s,so could price accurately not lose work and react...the cameras are better than some purpose built,sent an address,click postcode had a sat nav,,,,all fits in the pocket. The reality is with smart phones is I suspect very few of us myself included use them for full potential,,,internet banking on the move useful too when away from home

Pauljenny

Yes.. And then they withdraw the support and updates. Turned a perfectly good Windows phone, a joy to use, into an ornamental paperweight. Mind you it WAS 4 years old.. Sorry Jenny, you won't be getting that diamond encrusted phone for your birthday, next month... It'll be obsolete by Xmas.

mariesnowgoose

Oppy, I am with you 100%, although I confess to owning an iPhone and a MacBook pro laptop, but the latter is 2nd hand and ancient but does everything I need - for now! The b*rstewards will no doubt drop support for both it and the phone at some stage. All this pressure to spend, spend, spend. You've got to go out and get the latest, whizziest, go faster stripy model or you will end up a sad git and no one will love you. Total tosh, and whether the phone is £1,000 of $48 million they are both obscene in their own way - the $48 million phone being off the scale of obscenity, not just "something obscene about it". I feel sorry for the person who paid that much for a gold and diamond encrusted phone. What a sad and empty individual they must be.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:175)

Nidge, Edina, campervanannie, TeamRienza, 2cv, witzend, channa, Jandb4, AdriaTwin, helen262, sparrks, Carrerasax, Asterix, dunfillin, Wully, mistericeman, scampa, chrisjones18, harrow, RoaminRog, yorkslass, Val54, hmssnake, Geeky Philip, barryd, highlandron, wildebus, helmit, Robmac, denmar, maingate, Pauljenny, izwozral, Biggarmac, 1807truckman, Winger, ATwin, Tim120, Alberto, Obanboy666, jeanette, POI Admin, phase3begins, Fraseb01, Budgie, fiona68, REC, iampatman, mariesnowgoose, ian1950, Yelto, st3v3, Scotia, mjvw, davef, Tezza33, jagmanx, Wooie1958, yorkshireCPLE, londontavern, GeoffL, GinaRon, Moonraker 2, TJBi, yorkieowl, colinmd, jerrycan, GreggBear, Neckender, Roy Laura, vtwinner, silverweed, alwaysared, mofish, Clunegapyears, vanmandan, bobbrigside, Snapster, Harrytherid, Liberty hall, rugbyken, Sky, Buzzard, Fisherman, Justjack, Martin P, trevskoda, lands43, pamjon, carmel thornton, pj650, clarkpeacock, toasty, Harrers, trixie88, reiverlad, Jeff G, landoboguy, mygrassisblue, winks, Dowel, JVG, Bigshug, I&MK, caledonia, timatabsa, defender, gwenmc, ricc, number14, molly 2, ironman, Mandoman, Mikael, Monkeybrand, bedonwheels, Maci, Alun100, gettingolder2, 5andy, davepierson, griffs10, Blue Lady, nomis64, tobym, thenomads, Andrew Milward, IscubaToo, yorkscol, eriksleden, Okta, wilfyboy, clareandpeter, RichardP, dd1948, H Traveller, berniem, Clarkster, BlueToo, metcalfs, Skiptonian, spigot, Tallyman, guitarcamper, mjhall37, Jonned, davidjlambert, bilbo, MikeB, phillhend, enhanceco, mry716, alanfleming, Steveboy, Chocky, 2Coops, JoeH, in h, NalaK, Bacup lad, mhm21, arkwright, Zola, Dads Train, brunobrian, Full Member, onion, Pandaman2020, john lawrance, Weels, charlie356, topchook, roadroamer, MikeRS, paulcmackie,