Mint spies

mid4did

Free Member
It's getting nearer to the time to make some.(mince pies)
Christmas cake and puddings done but I,ve never had good results with pastry,usually rolled too thin and not crumbly melt in your mouth at all.Not that any get left though.
Any 1st hand recipes ? methods etc. ?

I never tried ready made pastry.What pastry i have done never turns out right,or at least to my liking.
I'm better at apple crumble than apple pies.

quite happy to make shortcrust pastry , but always buy puff pastry ready made, the blocks you roll out are good value, but the rolled out sheets make sausage rolls , salmon parcels etc , a breeze
be wary of own brands though, they can let you down !

quite happy to make shortcrust pastry , but always buy puff pastry ready made, the blocks you roll out are good value, but the rolled out sheets make sausage rolls , salmon parcels etc , a breeze
be wary of own brands though, they can let you down !
Yes check butter content !

Are we allowed to call it Puff pastry , these days..
Surely someone would find that offensive..
LGBTQ TTFN OTT VEGAN , GLUTEN AND LACTOSE-FREE... Pastry.
And Fruit Crumble..?
That's a real no-no.

Unsalted butter for sweet things, salted for savoury and I definitely prefer shortcrust for mince pies. Half fat to flour is the rule of thumb, so 4oz of butter to every 8oz of flour... plus add a dessert spoonful of sugar to every 8oz of flour. I'm with Katherine's Mum though, extra butter to make really short pastry and sometimes (not for mince pies - more for savoury stuff) I add a beaten egg when binding it. I remember our cookery teacher used to say the secret to good pastry is a very light touch with just the fingertips when rubbing the fat into the flour and always make your hands really cold first by running your wrists under the cold tap for a minute!

Today's the day.Pastry made and in the fridge.
I made it as a per @Minisorella 2 to 1 mix.1 lb flour 8oz butter sprinkled some suger over added a couple of eggs and mixed to a dough.No liquid as apparently too much makes a hard crust,my main complaint on previous attempts.
I got waylaid while searching for the right ingredients by some "cornish" pasty recipes on youtube involving lard and beef skirt,so now getting rave reviews in the household for them 😁
We'll see how the mince pies turn out .........

Result! Nice pastry nice taste.
Job's a good 'un.
20191203_132640.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back