Minehead on Television

I suspect you have joined the wrong forum with your frequent
exhortations for everyone to use campsites.

Davy

Exactly Davy
Whether one has a £100000 grand Gin Palace or a £1000 self build this forum called Wild Camping is exactly that Wild Camping.Its not a forum to promote campsite use (even though some here do both) its about finding a place at no charge (irrelavant whether we can afford it or not in payment)finding a free place being responsible to the Environment leave no trace etc etc etc. And enjoying ourselves.Anyone banging on trying to force change into others on here need to find the relevant forum which suits their views and needs.We dont need to be made to feel guilty enjoying what we do and thats Wild Camping.

Public toilet is indiscriminate dumping. In a public loo there is normally warm/hot water for hand washing post toilet use perhaps taking a days worth of washing up or even a bag of dirty laundry in there at the same time as dumping 20 ltrs of crap would help save a few quid?

We joined this site in the hope of picking up some good tips on how to motorhome responsibly in the UK as all we have done so far is tour in Europe for the past 9 years. So far the consensus seems to be your have to do everything for free, paying a couple of quid seems to be a complete anathema to some, even stealing water from cemeteries is deemed acceptable.

Then I would suggest perhaps a return to Europe as soon as it is safe to do so?

It's a sensible suggestion and not a criticism.

The UK has never been overly moho friendly long before this pandemic.
All the pandemic has illustrated (in spades!) is just how inadequately we are catered for in our campers in comparison to Europe with its comprehensive system of aires.

And the consensus on this site is not 'everything for free', at least with the wild camping members on this forum that I have known for several years.

May I politely suggest that if the difficulties/challenges of 'wilding' in the UK offend your sensibilities then the only way you will be able to deal with that would be to stay overnight only on official campsites and just give up the idea of wilding altogether?

Public loo's are not motorhome dumping points, if they were they would be advertised as such. Common sense tells you they are not designed for to take the volume of a cassette which is why at campsite etc the dumping point is not a toilet bowl but a bespoke facility capable of taking the flow rate without the chance of blockage or splash back.
A large percentage of sites that I know use standard household w,c,s as dedicated chemical disposal points, obviously without issue,

Davy
A lot of sites including Rutland Water use a normal toilet bowl set in concrete as a dedicated emptying point, if you have trouble emptying either you are poring too fast or there is a problem with the loo, I empty mine at home without any issues

Just got back toi,ets closed a 6pm so used maceDees got told butlins are at 3rd capacity, spoons mixed grill was virus free and ice cream lovley
Free ride up to town from carpark, smoked a bit. Lol
WP_20200809_003.jpg

Public loo's are not motorhome dumping points, if they were they would be advertised as such. Common sense tells you they are not designed for to take the volume of a cassette which is why at campsite etc the dumping point is not a toilet bowl but a bespoke facility capable of taking the flow rate without the chance of blockage or splash back.
4in pipe is 4in at both ends

Or possibly a combination of both, which is our intention. Wild in appropriate and legal places for a couple nights then visit a campsite or CL to replen water and dump waste.

There will almost certainly not be a single member on here who has ever written to a local authority anywhere in the UK asking if it’s OK to dump toilet cassettes in public loo’s or lift manhole covers to dump them or dig holes in the woods to dump them.

No one on here will have ever written to a garage chain or a church to ask if it’s ok to take the water from them.

This forum is awash with posts about how Motorhomes are increasingly more unwelcome all over the UK and no one seems able to join the dots.
I always ask if it is okay to fill with water and I expect a lot of others do as well so I object to that.

you are missing the fact a lot of places use a standard household toilet as an emptying point, even some camp sites. If you empty your cassette at home it should be clear water after two or three flushes, how do you think the traps on elsan points with a cistern flush cope. If yours isn’t then I would suggest it isn’t a standard setup or you use the short flush or you have a brick in the cistern (old trick to reduce water use).

While I would only use a remote Public toilet access outside normal hours if open it’s because the smell isn’t pleasant for others, no other reason

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back