MiFi update & now choosing a MiFi Data Sim Card

The Raptor

My MiFi (Huawei E5785) arrived today and the Poynting Puck-2 is installed (I drilled a 20mm hole through my Autotrail Roof 😬). It worked with my phones Sim on Three but I didn’t want the Faff of taking my SIM out of phone and putting in MiFi…,,,,,Looking at Data Sims, I followed Geeky Phillip’s Quidco recommendation on YouTube but the contracts are now 24 months 🙄. Researching other providers I ended up getting a Smarty sim (Three masts) which is a 1 month contract with unlimited for £18 putting on hold after 30days or rolling, the other SIM i ordered in case no Three signal is one from 1pMobile (EE masts) which I paid £30 upfront and the credit (=30Gb) is valid for 1 year.
Hopefully this may help anyone looking into data sims.
And if anyone knows anything different please comment 👍
2BC59A42-CC69-467F-B447-7DC211FA6514.png
CA066F3C-B13F-43D6-B0F0-CD6C9ABABDD8.png

Thanks Tezza, but this is a 12 month contract and didn’t need as I have unlimited on my phone with Three. The Smarty SIM (also Three, £18 unlimited has 1month length so can freeze or keep rolling or down size if data needs are less for following month).

Just tested the upload/download speeds sat in the Motorhome parked off A9 about 70 miles from Aviemore so quite rural.
Connected to MiWi with a Smarty SIM (Three)
9B4C8593-8154-45EC-B758-A0BE3618A161.jpeg

And then using phone signal only which is a Three contract so will be same mast
C4AEDDE1-F7DD-4DD6-BB2F-7C00903579A9.jpeg

So it is making a big difference in this rural location

Just tested the upload/download speeds sat in the Motorhome parked off A9 about 70 miles from Aviemore so quite rural.
Connected to MiWi with a Smarty SIM (Three)
View attachment 98935
And then using phone signal only which is a Three contract so will be same mast
View attachment 98936
So it is making a big difference in this rural location
Shows the value of getting the right mifi device. Am curious to know what phone though.

If its 1p per Mb isn't £30 only 3 Gb? I may be wrong (often am(usually am)).
That’s correct as mentioned also by someone quite quickly in my duplicate post on Motorhomer forum. It is very good advertising as on the site they say you can purchase 10Gb for £10 and as I went for their £30 365day SIM I thought that I had 30Gb. It’s when you read the small print that 10Gb for £10 are 30day top-ups 🙄 my my £30 credit is 1p values to a text, Mb or minute.

And for completeness I have just tested/download speed in an urban area (parked outside Lidl in Thurso)

With MiFi and antenna (Huawei E5785/Poynting Puck-2)
FA544DB9-4F34-48AC-BD19-E21F94004323.jpeg

And on the iPhone XR alone
708E4DEA-107A-4CCE-B8EE-FD6270E40B16.jpeg

Which shows in a good signal urban area the iPhone as a hotspot is equivalent to the MiFi, although upload speeds always seem to improve with the MiFi

I have a similar arrangement but with the larger Poynting MIMO3 Antenna not the Puck2.
Agree in towns etc it makes little difference when compared to hot spotting your phone but once out and about in the wild it can be the difference between having connectivity and not.

I have just read that EE have dropped roaming in Europe except allowing 30 days per year as an organised arrangement.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back