Mallow Plant ?

vindiboy

I think this is Mallow shrub, I broke a piece off a growing plant when out for a walk over some waste land, ? 2 years ago and stuck it in the garden to see if it would grow, well it has and is blooming like mad now super splash of colour a real treat, I have also taken a few cuttings from it and they too are blooming, the mother plant is now almost 10 feet tall and will make a mess when the flowers fall off but that is OK as it is a fabulous show of colour right now.

IMG_20200601_192742.jpgIMG_20200601_192749.jpgIMG_20200601_192759.jpgIMG_20200601_192816.jpgIMG_20200601_192846.jpg

vindiboy

We also have a fabulous white Rose [ Climber ] in full flower bought from a pound shop as a stick 2 years ago, and also a Red Climber also from a pound shop same age , not doing quite so well and 2 hot lips plants bought at a car boot last year also in full bloom, flowering plants make you feel so good don't they.

Attachments

trevskoda

I think this is Mallow shrub, I broke a piece off a growing plant when out for a walk over some waste land, ? 2 years ago and stuck it in the garden to see if it would grow, well it has and is blooming like mad now super splash of colour a real treat, I have also taken a few cuttings from it and they too are blooming, the mother plant is now almost 10 feet tall and will make a mess when the flowers fall off but that is OK as it is a fabulous show of colour right now.

View attachment 82611View attachment 82612View attachment 82613View attachment 82614View attachment 82615
Blooming nice.

trixie88

also known as lavateria.......bought mine years ago from car boot at whitby..............had lots of them in back garden.....give a beautiful show beyond the end of summer. mine are only just coming into bud at the moment........you must be down south..

Minisorella

I did the same thing with a couple of mallow cuttings from a friend in our very first house. It was a teensie little new build with a completely bare garden and boy did that mallow do a good job of filling some space very quickly! I'd completely forgotten how much I loved it until I saw your photos... thanks for bringing back happy memories :)

trixie88

Mallows are lovely.... Watch out for rot between the stems though...
Weight of the flowers pull the branches down and cause damage/rot....
they soon repair themselves.............have one growing on the lawn in back garden.......chopped it right down many a time......even hat a small bonfire almost on top of remains.....and still it came up next year.........they are survivors .......
had a beauty in the front garden........wish i had taken some pics of it...........

REC

We have several hotlips salvia propagated from one plant given to us by a very dear friend who passed away soon after. The plant is now in several gardens of family friends and neighbours. Always makes me smile and it blooms for so long!

Edina

We have several hotlips salvia propagated from one plant given to us by a very dear friend who passed away soon after. The plant is now in several gardens of family friends and neighbours. Always makes me smile and it blooms for so long!
Good planted where you brush past it and get the bkackcurrant smell

vindiboy

Mallow is almost a weed, I remember it as a kid over our in our local copse, grew everywhere, , taking cuttings from it is so easy just break a piece off and stick it in the ground and off it goes or so it seems, that is how I have dome mine, yes we are down South, I am going to grow a lot more of it in our Garden as we have plenty of room and it is such a cheering site as it flowers, yes it does break off easily when it gets heavy and large but a few stakes and string seems to cure the problem and the shrub seems to be self repairing, since I posted the first picture the shrub has got even bigger and more blooms.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)