Mains voltage at campsites.

We do not have Alde heating but do have a Dometic fridge. If the voltage drops to around 210v the fridge starts beeping if on electric and we switch to gas. Happens all the time on French campsites that we use when they are busy and where only 6amp hook up is available. If you have an auto switch fridge it would automatically switch to gas in these circumstances if auto switch is set to on. When voltage drops microwave is useless and kettle takes ages to boil.

Interesting to note how this might affect Alde heating as we may move to this set up in the future if we switch vans. Would the pump performance be reduced and could this cause issues if voltage drops? Or does it run on 12v only using battery?

If reduced mains voltage is a regular problem for particularly sensitive devices presumably it would be possible to introduce a regulating transformer of some sort?

This is low capacity but low price - enough for a fridge tho?

Last edited:
Tried it today from home same result. Switched to dual supply and it worked perfectly. So if you are using a Truma boiler in winter whilst hooked up to mains use dual supply. But outside winter electric only suffices. Thanks for all the replies.

It should at least heat the water fully, even if slowly. When one of the two heating elements failed on my 4e I found that the heating was poor and the water not fully hot. Now that I’m back to both elements working even with my little Truma 4 there’s plenty of heat and water. It doesn’t heat as quickly obviously as if on gas or mixed, but it is adequate even in below freezing temperatures.

It should at least heat the water fully, even if slowly. When one of the two heating elements failed on my 4e I found that the heating was poor and the water not fully hot. Now that I’m back to both elements working even with my little Truma 4 there’s plenty of heat and water. It doesn’t heat as quickly obviously as if on gas or mixed, but it is adequate even in below freezing temperatures.

thanks 2cv, I will have this checked out next summer when it goes in for its hab inspection.

Reactions: 2cv
2cv I just did a simple check using my household electric meter. It sped up rotation when put on electric 1, then further increased rotation speed on electric 2. So both elements are working. One rotation every 13 seconds on electric 1 and only 8 seconds on electric 2.
It did heat the van but much slower than gas.
But it seemed to struggle getting the water up to 60c.
On electric you only get 1.8kw on electric 2, compared to 6kw on gas.
thanks again.

2cv I just did a simple check using my household electric meter. It sped up rotation when put on electric 1, then further increased rotation speed on electric 2. So both elements are working. One rotation every 13 seconds on electric 1 and only 8 seconds on electric 2.
It did heat the van but much slower than gas.
But it seemed to struggle getting the water up to 60c.
On electric you only get 1.8kw on electric 2, compared to 6kw on gas.
thanks again.

Good that they seem to work. Mine lasted 7 years before they failed though not used much on hook up. Should be good on your much newer van.

I've got one of the old truma boiler-heaters with a low wattage belt around it for hot water.
If that ever packs up (hardly use it as not often on ehu) that'll be it as it's too expensive to replace - £200 buys a lot of gas, especially at Autogas prices!

I've got one of the old truma boiler-heaters with a low wattage belt around it for hot water.
If that ever packs up (hardly use it as not often on ehu) that'll be it as it's too expensive to replace - £200 buys a lot of gas, especially at Autogas prices!

we used a 2kw fan heater on the last van Mark when on EHU.
That had a diesel heater.
You can pick one up for about £15.

Yes I have a small oil radiator that I would use overnight on hook up.
The "element" I'm referring to is a water jacket heater that goes around the barrel and is only a few hundred watts so takes ages to do heat the water.
I have a mains roof top aircon which is a fan heayer as well for max heat on hook up.
I may go down the diesel heater route if the truma died completely with instantaneous water heater.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back