Mains Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have read elsewhere I get the impression that polarity is not seen as a big issue on many continental sites. Possibly comes from their history of unfused 2 pin plugs that can go in either way round. Instead they seem to rely on 2 pole breakers and 2 pole residual current devices that shut off both live and neutral (or neutral and live if it has been wired that way round) whenever a fault is detected.

From what I have read elsewhere I get the impression that polarity is not seen as a big issue on many continental sites. Possibly comes from their history of unfused 2 pin plugs that can go in either way round. Instead they seem to rely on 2 pole breakers and 2 pole residual current devices that shut off both live and neutral (or neutral and live if it has been wired that way round) whenever a fault is detected.
Yes and if your in 3 world countries two croc clips with gloved hands on any live neg line works,would we do that here ,think not,er well the street lamp looks handy. :unsure: (y)

In our 3rd world country we heavily rely on Single Pole protection rather than the much better double pole devices - obviously by their design RCDs are double pole.
A lot of appliances are Class II rated and therefore generally use a 2 core cable which can be inserted either way round. It is our use of SP devices which causes the problem without them reverse polarity would become a much smaller issue if any. Rather than use RCDs at home in the consumer unit I have all RCBOs fitted which gives overload protection as well as limits the effects of any faults on the circuit.

I reckon we all know what was meant including you.

The most dangerous part of your post was suggesting an MCB will do the job of an RCD.

If my memory serves me correctly A point to remember from 16th edition IEE Regulations all MCB or Circuit breakers in motor caravans and caravans should be double pole MCB.
Alf

I'm not sure about it being in the regs, (Edit to add: I've got a feeling this became redundant when later regs insisted on RCD's, just can't be arsed to look now lol) but double pole MCB's make a lot of sense and would make this problem irrelevant because...

From what I have read elsewhere I get the impression that polarity is not seen as a big issue on many continental sites. Possibly comes from ......they seem to rely on 2 pole breakers and 2 pole residual current devices that shut off both live and neutral (or neutral and live if it has been wired that way round) whenever a fault is detected.

Correct.

Last edited:
In our 3rd world country we heavily rely on Single Pole protection rather than the much better double pole devices - obviously by their design RCDs are double pole.
A lot of appliances are Class II rated and therefore generally use a 2 core cable which can be inserted either way round. It is our use of SP devices which causes the problem without them reverse polarity would become a much smaller issue if any. Rather than use RCDs at home in the consumer unit I have all RCBOs fitted which gives overload protection as well as limits the effects of any faults on the circuit.

correct

So do continental vans have double pole RCDs?

I'll see what I've got - might be easier-cheaper to put one in rather than a polarity change switch?

I've not been abroad yet but planning to next year - what plug do I need on my hook up lead please?

Thanks - can it be turned round to change polarity or does it only fit in one position only?

Last edited:
it doesn't tell you anything, right wrong or whatever, it is an adapter - that is what the member asked for, which cable/adaptor should he/she buy.

The mains tester that I linked to in an earlier post is what I use to check polarity.

The european plug can simply be pulled out and turned the other way to resolve live/neutral issues.

I've simply pointed out 2 bits of cheap kit, available anywhere, rather than try to show off with fancy heath-robinson home made gadgets that just might confuse someone who is looking for an easy way of resolving a very common issue

I see the same old pissing competitions are still happening here when it comes to electrics.

I have decided to lock this thread but I would like members to read this advice:

1) Electrical work should always be carried out by a competent person.
2) If in doubt disconnect immediately and have the installation checked.
3) Reverse polarity AC mains power is dangerous as some safety devices like MCBs and Fuses will not disconnect the power if there is a fault. Also if the appliance is switched only on the live side (not dual pole) then switching them off will not make them safe.
4) In my experience as an electrical inspector, I can tell you that RCDs and MCBs can fail to operate.
5) I would suggest that you have the RCD in your motorhome tested with an RCD tester regularly.
6) Carrying a good quality mains polarity tester is a good idea and you should use it whenever you connect to an unknown supply.

I recommend the Kewtech KEWCHECK103 Mains Wiring Socket Tester as it is only £13.05 from Amazon but comes from a trusted brand.

Phil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back