Mains Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamjon

On our recent trip to France. As we plugged our hook up in an English Guy came and said have you checked the Polarity of their feed. So he put his tester into the supply and instead of 3 lights lighting showing that it was ok only 2 lights lit up. Which meant that the polarity was not correct. He said he always uses one of these now because as in the past the supply had blew up his water heater.
We have been going across for over 30 years and we have never had a problem (maybe we have been very lucky).
Does anyone else use one of these.
Pj

Yes every time I hook up (including UK). I've also got a cross wired cable to correct reverse polarity.

I also use the tester in mains sockets at home.

Under £10... no brainer.

On our recent trip to France. As we plugged our hook up in an English Guy came and said have you checked the Polarity of their feed. So he put his tester into the supply and instead of 3 lights lighting showing that it was ok only 2 lights lit up. Which meant that the polarity was not correct. He said he always uses one of these now because as in the past the supply had blew up his water heater.
We have been going across for over 30 years and we have never had a problem (maybe we have been very lucky).
Does anyone else use one of these.
Pj

The problem with reverse polarity is safety.
The equipment will work fine, but you are fusing the negative instead of the positive. I would get yourself a tester if travelling abroad. I don’t think you will have this issue in the uk. Due to higher voltage the regs are much stricter here.

Last edited:
Fit one of these,it has a red/green led warning and all you do is flick over a rocker switch to be safe,there about £40 on ebay.

Attachments

• lece 1.jpg
    lece 1.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 147
  • switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 138
In a healthy electrical circuit reversed polarity presents no dangers unless you wish to dabble inside the electrics whilst still connected to the EHU. Buy a tester but use it to ensure you have a good earth and forget about reversed polarity.
Very dangerous,pos wire is live neg is same as earth with no current,if you reverse live/neutral then the shell of a faulty unit like a toaster etc could give a nasty shock,remember only the live is switched and neg or eth is the frame,many folk get mixed up about ac current,ask any dead person.:eek:

In a healthy electrical circuit reversed polarity presents no dangers unless you wish to dabble inside the electrics whilst still connected to the EHU. Buy a tester but use it to ensure you have a good earth and forget about reversed polarity.

Sorry but that is not the case.
You are then fusing the neg leaving the pos live. That poses a serious safety hazard.

Please read and try and understand. "no dangers unless you wish to dabble inside the electrics whilst still connected to the EHU."
I was an electrician. Qualified 1976. I would never advise anyone to reverse polarity when connecting to AC mains. People have died due to reverse polarity wiring.

Last edited:
I have no qualification ex radio am exam but have wired 2 factories with 3 phase and 3 houses and no way would i swap,as you have been told framework becomes live if something goes wrong and the kill switch is on neg side,not much use if you are jumping up and down and it will not switch of,and this is without going inside things.

It is not a case of knowing better, but being able to understand what reversed polarity is and its implications. As stated " a healthy electrical circuit"

Allow me to clarify clearly.
In terms of functioning of electrical equipment functioning from AC they will function perfectly with reverse polarity. Equipment which is DC compatible is polarity conscious and will not function with reverse polarity. Also some DC compatible equipment will be damaged and may even pose a fire or electrical hazard if wired in reverse polarity.
But in here lies a serious issue. Due to the fact that AC compatible equipment works perfectly wired in reverse polarity this brings with it a serious issue of safety. For reasons of safety it’s vital that the positive is fused or protected with a residual current protector or an MCB (micro circuit breaker). If you reverse the polarity you have fused the negative, this means that the positive which will electrocute you remains connected if your MCB device switches or a fuse is blown due to low insulation (short circuit). Any metal surfaces that may not be earthed properly could then remain live after your safety fuse or MCB have actuated.

IT IS NEVER SAFE TO WIRE AC WITH REVERSE POLARITY. THIS COUNTERS EVERYTHING IN IEC REGULATIONS. ANYONE WHO ADVISES YOU THAT THIS IS SAFE IS GIVING POOR ADVICE.

Please read this article on reverse polarity. This article is US based, but the same principles apply here to us in the U.K.

Last edited:
Thank you for the above safety post,aome so called sparkies with all the paperwork should know better,even me the village idiot knows this.
Last house i rebuilt the electrical inspector said my work was above normal standard and passed it without a cert,he said i did not here you say who done the work wink wink.

Can I add my experience.
The firm I used to work for has thousands of metal cabinets in the street which are connected to single phase mains power cables using TN-C-S
Inside these metal cabinets there is a class C circuit breaker but no RCD.
With TN-C-S it is absolutely vital that correct polarity is observed.

Can I add my experience.
The firm I used to work for has thousands of metal cabinets in the street which are connected to single phase mains power cables using TN-C-S
Inside these metal cabinets there is a class C circuit breaker but no RCD.
With TN-C-S it is absolutely vital that correct polarity is observed.

Thank you Harrow.
The problem with electricity is you cannot see it, or smell it.
Sadly your first contact with it could be your last.
I have erred in installing systems, we all have.
I remember well as an apprentice wiring a spur unit accidentally shorting the earth and positive with a non insulated screwdriver. I was to stupid or lazy to go back for an insulated driver. Well in less than a second I heard a loud bang, smelt burning and all that was left was the timber handle of the driver.
When connecting systems to the mains I always checked the earth. On a large bungalow when I did so there was no earth connection. The bungalow was 15 years old and the earth conductor had never been connected to the consumer unit.
This meant that for 15 years nothing in this bungalow had been earthed. Now if anything in this bungalow had further been compromised by being wired with reverse polarity, someone could have been killed.
The problem with reverse polarity is your equipment will function perfectly until something goes wrong. It’s then that you are depending on the wiring to have been done properly for your safety. If it has not it could kill you, make no bones about it, it’s that serious. We use 230v in this country to reduce resistance and enable us to use smaller cabling. But with higher voltage comes greater risk, and requires better safety. The article I posted on my previous post is US based. They use 110v, and they state it probably won’t kill you, that does not apply here.

Just a thought,one of my houses has the earth rod under the stairs where it is dry,should i then connect a second earth wire to neg mains in to be sure. :unsure:

1573990276343.png

This is based on Pascal's wager. An argument in presented by the French philosopher, mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).
He used it to decide if Man should believe in God. (did I mention that I read "Maths & Philosophy" at University?)

The technique can also be used to evaluate decisions like whether to fit a corrective device for reversed polarity or not.
Clever because electricity wasn't discovered until over 100 years after he died.

Given that you can get a tester and a correction device for under £20, this is a no brainer for me.
You must make your own decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back