Low gas

Clunegapyears

We have Gaslo twin tanks installed. Had them 3 years. Filters were fitted 2 years ago and cleaned in September. It has worked fine until now.

Gas through to cooker is low. Assumed it was as tank 1 was empty; we do a manual switch over so we know when one tank is depleted. When we looked at the the first tank, it was low but not empty. Worked OK on second tank.

We filled both tanks. For the first evening the cooker gas flame was quite high. Since then it has dropped to really low. There is a small improvement in the flame if we have both tanks switched to open. But still not to normal levels ... cooking is slow but manageable.

The problem is really the hot water and therefore the heating. Alde wet system. We are getting ‘gas out’ on the first tank open, and also on both tanks. Weirdly, at the moment, it is working with only the second tank open.

As the problem started just before we refilled the tanks, I am convinced it is not a quality of gas issue. There is something wrong with the amount of gas getting into the system from what is our first tank.

We are currently in Crete and staying here for the winter so we will need some heating! We are on an extended trip so not back to the UK probably until late summer 2020. Getting a little worried about our cleanliness levels too, if we can’t shower!!! Don’t want to be reliant on just one tank when we travel east and LPG not readily available.

We are not technical and if anyone has any suggestions (please!), do give them to us. But in simple, very explainable language. We are numpties!

Thanks in anticipation, Katherine

We had similar problems with Truma Monocontrol CS 30mbar regulators. When the gas was low the heating / hotwater would not work, although fridge and cooking burner were ok. The original Monocontrol was replaced with another one but after this one started playing up I fitted a Cavagna Type 424RV regulator, much simpler and cheaper (£21) and all has been ok since then. The story, and helpful advice, is here https://motorhomer.com/threads/truma-monocontrol-cs-30mbar-regulator-problem.38155/#post-82773

Have you checked the filters again? I am assuming they are the ones attached to the regulator and if so they should intercept any grot that might damage it. I find the bowl below the filter element sometimes fills with an oily residue from condensates, which I wipe out from time to time. If this built up too much and reached the filter element it might clog it up, which is what it is supposed to do to protect the regulator.

If the filter elements have had it and you have no spares I think you can run without the elements, you still have the benefit of the liquid trap but not the final defence of the filter element.

there's a ships chandler on the main street in downtown Chania can fix you up with a new regulator.
good luck & best wishes, ciao, D.

Process of elimination

1 swop the bottles over if the problem persists issues with the bottle as simple as not sufficient pressure or blocked valve

2 if swooping bottles gives the same result the problem I suspect is either the filters that are clogged or a gas slumping and blocking one of the pigtails

Because you are getting different performance through the same regulator it is doubtful that is the culprit , the culprit further upstream the bottle under pressurised(unlikely) more likely the bottle valve ,pigtail blocked or most likely the filters

Thanks, makes sense to rule out the left hand bottle and filter before going down the new regulator route. I’ll YouTube how to check the filter and swap bottles .... presume for safety, I just have to switch off both bottles at the neck?

The Truma filter is easy. Turn off the gas and unscrew the filter bowl, you should have been given a plastic tool with the filters that fits the bottom of the bowl but it should be possible without. You may find it easier to unscrew if you let the pressure drop by burning off gas after turning off bottle taps. If there is oily residue in the bowl it may bubble and gas for a bit which can make it look like the bottle taps are not shutting off properly and it takes a while for the pressure to drop and the burning off to finish.

Are you absolutely sure that it isn't a quality of gas issue? Where did you fill your tanks? I don't know what temperatures you're currently experiencing in Crete but if it is anywhere near freezing and there is a high concentration of Butane in your lpg you will have exactly the symptoms you describe. When I was filling my Gaslow tanks at Repsol stations in Spain in winter 2017 and the weather was cold there was literally no gas pressure at all but as soon as the weather warmed up everything worked fine. It is well known that lpg in Southern Europe often contains a high proportion of Butane which will not vaporise at low temperatures. Lpg supplied in Northern Europe is mainly Propane which will work okay even at very low temperatures.

My limited experience suggests the regulator..Either faulty or blocked.
We had similar problems 2 years ago
Surely best to simply replace the regulator..Things do fail/wear out.
It seems Truma regulators are not the best !
The comments re Butane/propane are relevant but I suggest the locals know what proportions work even when it is cold

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back