Looking for advice please.

Thanks,

alarm fitted already, managed to activate it post test drive. Planning three nights away the day we pick it up. 10 miles from home, so will take car too on first outing in case we need anything.
There are a lot of motorhomers who think towing a car is stupid, I have heard it so many times over the years, 'buy a caravan etc.' but I like the motorhome for Europe, in the UK the car becomes a trailer when moving but a means of visiting out of the way places when parked up, best of both worlds in my opinion, you don't even know it is there, fuel consumption drops maybe 2 or 3 mpg, do what is best for you and enjoy every minute of it

Is membership of the Camping and Caravan Club worth the £56 annual cost
Yes and no, your van isn’t so big at 7.25m but if it’s your first you’ll need some time to get into it, your better off learning stuff in a place we’re it’s not such an issue.

Running out of water, unexpectedly filling the bog, running the leisure batteries down without seeing it coming, levelling etc… are all much easier to work out on a site, with the hook up cable in place but the supply turned off the lights going out after dark is much easier to sort than in a layby etc….

I joined C&CC, but after the first year I dropped it, but I was glad to have had that year.

Once you know your usage and the van then you’ll work out your own preferences be it sites or wild, if you prefer sites then join a club, if you prefer wild camping then don’t.

There other ways of finding sites for the odd night without joining a club.

Yes and no, your van isn’t so big at 7.25m but if it’s your first you’ll need some time to get into it, your better off learning stuff in a place we’re it’s not such an issue.

Running out of water, unexpectedly filling the bog, running the leisure batteries down without seeing it coming, levelling etc… are all much easier to work out on a site, with the hook up cable in place but the supply turned off the lights going out after dark is much easier to sort than in a layby etc….

I joined C&CC, but after the first year I dropped it, but I was glad to have had that year.

Once you know your usage and the van then you’ll work out your own preferences be it sites or wild, if you prefer sites then join a club, if you prefer wild camping then don’t.

There other ways of finding sites for the odd night without joining a club.
Thank you,

I would like to do a mix of wild and sites, plan is to explore UK for a couple of years, then head over into Europe. We have planned our first 3 nights at three different sites to get used to packing prior to moving and then set up once on site. Just trying to get used to it quick.

Mike

Thank you,

I would like to do a mix of wild and sites, plan is to explore UK for a couple of years, then head over into Europe. We have planned our first 3 nights at three different sites to get used to packing prior to moving and then set up once on site. Just trying to get used to it quick.

Mike
It’s hard to judge what’s best for others, I’m relatively new to Motorhome’s (a little over 2 years) but I’ve driven Trucks for years including long distance far beyond Europe, the Motorhome I found harder than a STGO CAT3

You’ll find your mojo in your own time, there’s no quick imo

What I can assure you is that Europe will be easier than the UK.

once you have a pan for a route
check the daily mileage then halve it 1

And look to spend 2 nights at least in suitable locations

Beware of carparks with minimal spacing to turn or park (eg LIDL and the like)

once you have a pan for a route
check the daily mileage then halve it 1

And look to spend 2 nights at least in suitable locations

Beware of carparks with minimal spacing to turn or park (eg LIDL and the like)
And with the longer motorhomes - and a 7.25M one is certainly in that category - something to be very aware of if you park in car parks is the overhang. It could be very easy to clip something on a turn!
I managed to do that when I was moving house and rented a 7.5t lorry as doing it myself. Reversed into and down the driveway perfectly with around 2" to spare either side ("I'm a real Trucker" I said to myself :) ). The next morning drove out and had to turn fairly sharp to clear a lampost on the other side of the road and managed to knock down my garden wall with the back end of the lorry! (I reversed in from the other direction and no lamposts in the way!)

Beware petrol pumps as well.
I manage to crunch the middle of mine on a low flying rock.
Luckily self repairable as only minor damage.
The narrow A road in Scotland are manageable but B roads in Wales and Devon Cornwall and Kent need care.
I am sure others could add to the list !

And with the longer motorhomes - and a 7.25M one is certainly in that category - something to be very aware of if you park in car parks is the overhang. It could be very easy to clip something on a turn!
I managed to do that when I was moving house and rented a 7.5t lorry as doing it myself. Reversed into and down the driveway perfectly with around 2" to spare either side ("I'm a real Trucker" I said to myself :) ). The next morning drove out and had to turn fairly sharp to clear a lampost on the other side of the road and managed to knock down my garden wall with the back end of the lorry! (I reversed in from the other direction and no lamposts in the way!)
Motorhome may not come out of it quite so well as a lorry! 😢

Well just to add to the 'doom and gloom', :rolleyes: is it on the light or heavy(maxi) chassis, if on the light you need to be wary of overloading rear axle. Mind you if you then A frame a car you can use it as a trailer to carry all the junk (sorry useful stuff :p ) that accumulates.

Buy a smaller MH. We have just downsized to 6.5m A Class 3500kg so normal licence and its very easy to park so we just go out for the day and the back to CL in the evening.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back