Looking for advice please.

Mike8193

Putting a deposit down on our first Motorhome, it’s a proper coach built job and 7.25 Metres long. I have a few questions which have probably been answered many times, but I could be here for hours looking, please indulge this knackered old £$%^ newbie who would like to be a positive participant in the community.

1. Is membership of the Camping and Caravan Club worth the £56 annual cost
  2. If got wheel locks and steering wheel lock, I’m thinking of getting a tracker fitted, good idea, or other recommendations on security.
  3. Are there specific insurance companies I should be getting quotes from.
  4. Is a Kia Picanto 2019 a car I could tow wheels down, or a recommended car please.
  5. What’s the difference between a duck? - joke question to lighten the mood. The answer is one leg is both the same.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions.

Many dont bother with caravan club, many wildcamp.
A pedal lock is best, made my own, and trackers ok but can be easy found with a we receiver cheap on ebay.
Aib or adrian flux for ins, but do try around.
Dont see the point in a t car, many just put a scooter on a back rack or carry cycles/electric.
p lock a.jpg
p lock b.jpg
p lock c.jpg
p lock d.jpg

The only question I feel I can help with, apart from the duck, is 1.
I've been a member of the Camping and caravan club for a few years.
You get a discount with certain insurance companies. They do a stop over to use facilities, shower waste points water and charging batteries, for a nominal fee.
They have member only sites, discount on all sites and a good network of small 5-10 unit sites for as little as £10 a night. (may have changed because of staycations). Have been on a few nice sites, Devizes, Salisbury Weston super Mare.
So I find the annual fee good value and happy with the club.

Putting a deposit down on our first Motorhome, it’s a proper coach built job and 7.25 Metres long. I have a few questions which have probably been answered many times, but I could be here for hours looking, please indulge this knackered old £$%^ newbie who would like to be a positive participant in the community.

2. If got wheel locks and steering wheel lock, I’m thinking of getting a tracker fitted, good idea, or other recommendations on security.
  4. Is a Kia Picanto 2019 a car I could tow wheels down, or a recommended car please.
  5. What’s the difference between a duck? - joke question to lighten the mood. The answer is one leg is both the same.

1. Depends on your intended usage. UK/Europe? Wilding/Camp sites?
2. Some members may be able to provide specific advice if you tell us what the base vehicle is.
3. Again, depends on intended usage. AIB offer a discount to members, but not all rate them; horses for courses.
4. I have no experience in this area, but you may need to check regulations in European countries if you intend to tow there.

We regularly use smaller CS/CL sites (usually 5 pitch basic sites with waste disposal /water tap)
For around £10 a night.

And get insurance discount...

Disklok (ideally modified with extra welding)

Towing a tow car raises the, usual legalities and frankly I'd rather manage without....
Too much hassle for reward especially the type of motorhoming we do

I tow a Fiat Panda, I find it excellent for my needs because mobility problems for us and our 14yr old dog means if we are pitched up on a CS or CL we can visit the surrounding area, you don't even notice it behind you so the car you already have would be the same, we are members of both big clubs and find them good value, I also have a tracker, extra locks and immobilizer because I don't think you have to be thief proof, just more thief proof than the vans parked near you.
Please don't tell anyone on here you might take a TV with you 🥴

Last edited:
We also enjoyed Camping and Caravan club rallies when we were based in uk. Cheap basic camping especially in the summer months.

Never had any kind of security, and they are usually where I left them, I use online insurance sites, Asda has been the best regularly.

What would you rather be or a wasp?

I very rarely use camp sites but am still a member of both the big clubs. I know some sites I like if I need them and membership gets me in. Up to you if you want to join either, you could just go and see what you like then join if it’s something you like

Reactions: 2cv
I think it is worth joining one.
We like C&CC and certified sites but lots of wilding.
I would hate a tow car..buses or taxis ok and overall cheaper !

Ps 1 a large vehicle and tow car makes wilding difficult

Ps2. Even A roads sometimes need you to backup not easy with a tow car

Ps 3 even a problem on smaller sites ?

You may get the impression that I am not a fan of towing.
However it does suit and is needed by some

I tow a Fiat Panda, I find it excellent for my needs because mobility problems for us and our 14yr old dog means if we are pitched up on a CS or CL we can visit the surrounding area, you don't even notice it behind you so the car you already have would be the same, we are members of both big clubs and find them good value, I also have a tracker, extra locks and immobilizer because I don't think you have to be thief proof, just more thief proof than the vans parked near you.
Please don't tell anyone on here you might take a TV with you 🥴
thanks,

it already has two TV’s fitted 😱😱

Is membership of the Camping and Caravan Club worth the £56 annual cost
Marmite question. Some folks love the clubs; some hate them
I recommend newbies join at least one of the big 2 and try their sites and Cl/CSs
Then you'll know it it worth remaining ater the first year.

If got wheel locks and steering wheel lock, I’m thinking of getting a tracker fitted, good idea, or other recommendations on security.
Alarm.

Are there specific insurance companies I should be getting quotes from.
Get lots of quotes.
What is great for me could be useless for you.

Couple of tips
a) Video the handover
b) Spend a night on the drive (or within a taxi ride home) to ensure you know how thing work. No cheating and using the loo at home!
c) Make lists and update them as you find out what to you missed (Packing / pre departure / set up /etc
d) Enjoy yourself.

I guess if you are posting on Wild Camping, you like to 'wild camp'? just a question really, as I post here but don't Wild Camp actually, but I do 'Off grid' camping, using places in the Brit Stops book, sites on pitchup.com and also C&CC club sites (I have never paid more than £10 for a night at a C&CC site - next booking I have is next month - £30 for 4 nights).

For security, masses of options, but one that is often mentioned as having a 100% success rate in no vehicle thefts is "outsmart the thief". Think is is around £600 fitted? Some info here - https://www.lifesure.co.uk/articles/outsmart-the-thief-and-protect-your-motorhome-or-caravan

I'd hold off on the towcar until you get a bit of time in the Motorhome. Maybe you will want one, maybe you will find you don't? no point in rushing into it.

Remember AIB (and some others) don't do No Claims Bonus, so if it's your only vehicle you could loose out if you change it.

Marmite question. Some folks love the clubs; some hate them
I recommend newbies join at least one of the big 2 and try their sites and Cl/CSs
Then you'll know it it worth remaining ater the first year.

Alarm.

Get lots of quotes.
What is great for me could be useless for you.

Couple of tips
a) Video the handover
b) Spend a night on the drive (or within a taxi ride home) to ensure you know how thing work. No cheating and using the loo at home!
c) Make lists and update them as you find out what to you missed (Packing / pre departure / set up /etc
d) Enjoy yourself.
Thanks,

alarm fitted already, managed to activate it post test drive. Planning three nights away the day we pick it up. 10 miles from home, so will take car too on first outing in case we need anything.

I guess if you are posting on Wild Camping, you like to 'wild camp'? just a question really, as I post here but don't Wild Camp actually, but I do 'Off grid' camping, using places in the Brit Stops book, sites on pitchup.com and also C&CC club sites (I have never paid more than £10 for a night at a C&CC site - next booking I have is next month - £30 for 4 nights).

For security, masses of options, but one that is often mentioned as having a 100% success rate in no vehicle thefts is "outsmart the thief". Think is is around £600 fitted? Some info here - https://www.lifesure.co.uk/articles/outsmart-the-thief-and-protect-your-motorhome-or-caravan

I'd hold off on the towcar until you get a bit of time in the Motorhome. Maybe you will want one, maybe you will find you don't? no point in rushing into it.
Thank you for taking time to reply,

tow car is way down on list, but was looking for opinions. Will look at outsmart the thief thank you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back