Leisure battery

Dickie locks

Hi all, I’m thinking of buying a new battery for our campervan but here’s my questions.
1. since the battery we have is newish and it is a calcium battery does it need to be replaced
2 since I now have fitted a/ a split charge relay and, b/ and a 100watt solar panel, do I need to change the battery
3 what sort of battery do I need to get if I’m gonna replace it?
Help over to you!

To help the wise ones;

Is your present battery holding its charge, what loads do you have on the battery, how long are you static so therefore relying on pv and is there a budget limit......

Same for same, use a solar should be 100w for each 100amp battery, make sure you use a mppt with 1 amp blead for starter battery, settings for all batts
vetronic.png

To help the wise ones;

Is your present battery holding its charge, what loads do you have on the battery, how long are you static so therefore relying on pv and is there a budget limit......
Ok, so the battery that’s on does not have a label so I’m assuming it is 100 amp. The split charge relay I fitted was 100amp and the solar panel I fitted is 100amp.
The battery is in good condition but was going flat by 3rd day away. Obviously this will now recharge as I go along, but I am wanting to run an inverter and little microwave etc, so was toying with replacing battery with something like two 230amp gel batteries at around £350.
I’m not so good at working out actual usage so any help would be appreciated.
I can add another solar panel and I think the solar controller can handle the extra( can add a photo of it if needed.

Attachments

• 41AD75D9-65B0-4B30-9A01-D4E3A9FE1EB6.jpeg
    41AD75D9-65B0-4B30-9A01-D4E3A9FE1EB6.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 78
Ok, so the battery that’s on does not have a label so I’m assuming it is 100 amp. The split charge relay I fitted was 100amp and the solar panel I fitted is 100amp.
The battery is in good condition but was going flat by 3rd day away. Obviously this will now recharge as I go along, but I am wanting to run an inverter and little microwave etc, so was toying with replacing battery with something like two 230amp gel batteries at around £350.
I’m not so good at working out actual usage so any help would be appreciated.
I can add another solar panel and I think the solar controller can handle the extra( can add a photo of it if needed.
The charge control unit is old hat, change to the votronic and add more batteries, a mw will eat juice but lucky only for a few mins, but this could pull a good battery down well below half charge, wildbus is your man and he did tests on solar regulators, this is why i changed from old type to mppt.

Votronic duo definitely a good way of keeping both battery’s topped up.

if hyoid are looking at running a microwave via inverter the battery bank will take a big hit, I don’t think gels like big hits but wait for someone else to comment.

personally I run what I have until or if it no longer does the job then upgrade rather than upgrading before I have a problem

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back