Leisure Battery flat

I check battery at least once a week this time of year usually about 10 pm .when it drops the Volt's down to 12.5. I plug in for about 12 hours .if a take trip for a few nights of grid I would charge for about about 20 hours and unplug just before setting off . my solar panel is shaded this time of year so I don't expect any charge from it. at all . I have 2x100 amp battery's .runs the gas blown air for about 4 nights . on 24 hour's a day

i
Hi ya,
Check any Relay or in line fuse you may have from Main to leisure side of things.
A DECENT or LONG drive ‘should’ have topped your leisure Battery up nicely depending on your charging system of course!.
Good advice. Easy to do a preliminary check. Have a look at your voltmeter before and after trip. In fact even without setting off anywhere you can check that the volts go up after you start the engine. If it’s gone down or not moved you have a charging or relay problem. Just had exactly that problem on a hire van in NZ. Barely lasted a day off grid, with new relay and new battery it now it goes 3 or 4 days...even with an electric fridge.

Went away for couple of days ( birthday!) And have decided the battery is shot...charged overnight before we left, two hour drive, read 13 , went down to 12.9 first fire up of heater,then it went right down below 10. Obviously not holding it's charge...being replaced this week...think the cracked fuse was cause for it never charging properly, have not used heater till recently,except once early on, so this has highlighted the issue. Our converter is really fed up as had an entire batch of fuses defective and causing so much work. Third vehicle had problem. Battery nine months old...:cry:

Using our freezer a lot ... so cheap to eat out, so we are! The portions are so huge we’re making soups of the leftovers, so the freezer is full of soup bricks.

Also have a lot of jars, condiments, coffee and veg ... not to mention white wine in the fridge.

Would have to eat out all the time if it stopped working!!!

AC/DC clamp meters are dearer and not as easy to find as the far more common AC clamp meters. The one in Nesting Zombies looking like its just AC.

These days its ok to be ac or dc,no one blinks a eye.
Until you shove your probe in the wrong hole, then eyes might be blinking.

Have a look at these one just does AC and one does AC/DC its easy to buy the wrong one.

I have a "Very cheap and Cheerful" voltmeter and display (size of a Fag packet) permanently wired it. and located in a cupboard where it is easy to see (next to my solar controller)..........So no faffing about with wires etc
Whilst I appreciate the caveats with simply looking at volts..

1 It shows 14.4 on a nice sunny summers day
2 In autumn it shows maybe 13.1 at say 6pm
3 Blown air heating on it may drop to 12.7 or 12.6 if the blower is working.
4 Never below 12.5 (even at say 4am)
5 If nothing in use it will often rise by 0.1V as the battery recovers

NOT scientifically reliable ..BUT good enough for me.
Indeed following the readings on the same meter it does not matter if the true voltage differs from the display It is the variations which re-assure me

Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back