Leicester Local Lock Down

Tim120

Although only being talked about at the moment and could in future apply to anywhere that is unfortunate to have a spike in C-19.
How on earth might it work.
Pubs and restaurants in Leicester may stay shut for an extra two weeks, I'm only repeating from an article onn beeb website.
Given some of the recent behaviour whitnessed, beaches, football celebrations, illegal street parties etc. surely if a local venue is closed but one a walk or drive to is open people will go there thus spreading it rather than containing it.

Army with road blocks?

barryd

I was never in favour of the government allowing limitless travel for leisure. Just look at the chaos its caused. Its horrendous whats been happening here in the Dales in many tourist hot spots. Localised lock down is a good idea though if there are spikes. How to police it though? Well in Richmond (North Yorkshire) the Police reckoned the yobs causing all the trouble were from Middlesbrough which is about 35 miles away. If they were on lockdown I guess a massive fine might deter many but looking at some of them maybe not. We did have to actually call the army in here as Police numbers are so low for what is normally a peaceful law abiding town. Fortunately Catterick Garrison is just a few miles down the road and the Military were brought in. I suggested shooting a few to give them the message but they cant sadly.

Police and army need more powers IMO so far there has been little they can do and are way under resourced here. Lock down should mean lock down with severe penalties for those who break the rules. This governments light touch approach though has led to the problems we have now.

Nabsim

So you advocate Marshall law @barryd ?

The countryside belongs to everyone, people have to get used to that. Just because someone lives in a place doesn’t give them any more rights unless they are entering you land maybe.

while I don’t agree with the mass gatherings I can’t imagine what it would be like on lockdown in a bed sit or flat even more so if you have kids.

oppy

The problem with Leicester is that they now have more ethnic's than indigenous residents and as we are constantly being told, the virus is more virulent among the Asian community. So one supposes the this was inevitable given the circumstances, but hopefully lives there can soon resume some kind of normality.
I hope this is not construed as a racist observation, if so, I'm sorry, it's just the facts as this daft old soul sees them

Nabsim

The problem with Leicester is that they now have more ethnic's than indigenous residents and as we are constantly being told, the virus is more virulent among the Asian community. So one supposes the this was inevitable given the circumstances, but hopefully lives there can soon resume some kind of normality.
I hope this is not construed as a racist observation, if so, I'm sorry, it's just the facts as this daft old soul sees them
Not sure if it’s just internet rubbish or fact Oppy but have seen a few threads about where they are linking it down to the end of fasting. People coming together to eat in groups. I haven’t checked if that is a factual theory though.

Fisherman

Sorry oppy but it’s not the transmission rates that are different it’s the survival rates.

barryd

So you advocate Marshall law @barryd ?

The countryside belongs to everyone, people have to get used to that. Just because someone lives in a place doesn’t give them any more rights unless they are entering you land maybe.

while I don’t agree with the mass gatherings I can’t imagine what it would be like on lockdown in a bed sit or flat even more so if you have kids.
Well I was joking about shooting a few of them really. Its heartbreaking though to watch what has been going on. I work for a large charity in upper Teesdale and they along with many other organisations and businesses have worked flat out seven days a week supporting the community and helping keep everyone safe since this all began. We have a predominantly elderly and vulnerable population. Johnson announces that everyone can go where they like and what we have seen is all that good work undone by large groups of what can only be described as the scum of the earth. So my Charity volunteers time and time again have had to go out in teams to clear up their shit. We are talking vandalism, drug paraphernalia, human excrement, smashed up bottles on the land and in the rivers, graffiti in beauty spots, theft, anti social drunken behaviour, fights, blocking roads so key workers cannot get home and ambulances and emergency services cannot get to accidents or emergencies (only one road in one particular spot).

They go in the shops, cause trouble, steel and the locals are left to deal with the aftermath. All of this puts our vulnerable population at risk. We love tourists and well behaved visitors but not people like this. They were even using facebook groups to promote their awful behaviour and targeting specific towns and beauty spots in the dales. Of course Cummings putting us firmly on the map has made it a lot worse.

The countryside does belong to everyone but these people do not deserve access to it.

Fisherman

Well I was joking about shooting a few of them really. Its heartbreaking though to watch what has been going on. I work for a large charity in upper Teesdale and they along with many other organisations and businesses have worked flat out seven days a week supporting the community and helping keep everyone safe since this all began. We have a predominantly elderly and vulnerable population. Johnson announces that everyone can go where they like and what we have seen is all that good work undone by large groups of what can only be described as the scum of the earth. So my Charity volunteers time and time again have had to go out in teams to clear up their shit. We are talking vandalism, drug paraphernalia, human excrement, smashed up bottles on the land and in the rivers, graffiti in beauty spots, theft, anti social drunken behaviour, fights, blocking roads so key workers cannot get home and ambulances and emergency services cannot get to accidents or emergencies (only one road in one particular spot).

They go in the shops, cause trouble, steel and the locals are left to deal with the aftermath. All of this puts our vulnerable population at risk. We love tourists and well behaved visitors but not people like this. They were even using facebook groups to promote their awful behaviour and targeting specific towns and beauty spots in the dales. Of course Cummings putting us firmly on the map has made it a lot worse.

The countryside does belong to everyone but these people do not deserve access to it.
Sadly this pandemic has shown the two extremes of human nature.
on one hand we have our NHS workers, emergency services, and most of the public knuckling down and doing their best. But on the other hand we have the idiots who reckon it’s ok to spread the virus, who cares if some folk die because of our actions. It simply beggars belief, but trying to wind down the lockdown was always going to be difficultt.

oppy

Sadly Barry the media must accept some of the responsibility for the expansion of this hooligan / anti social behaviour. It seems to exist only to show what's bad in our society, except when it's prudent to show the good side. You see on the tv news each and every night how some folks are abusing the system and that seems to inspire certain sections of our community to follow suit, whilst I would guess that over 95% of the population are taking the current situation seriously and following the guidelines. It's tragic how this behaviour impacts on certain areas and it seems as if we are now breeding a new branch in the evolutionary tree. We all need to stay safe and maybe the irresponsible folks will make themselves extinct eventually

2cv

Sadly Barry the media must accept some of the responsibility for the expansion of this hooligan / anti social behaviour. It seems to exist only to show what's bad in our society, except when it's prudent to show the good side. You see on the tv news each and every night how some folks are abusing the system and that seems to inspire certain sections of our community to follow suit, whilst I would guess that over 95% of the population are taking the current situation seriously and following the guidelines. It's tragic how this behaviour impacts on certain areas and it seems as if we are now breeding a new branch in the evolutionary tree. We all need to stay safe and maybe the irresponsible folks will make themselves extinct eventually
That’s a good theory. However because the virus is far more deadly to the elderly it’s likely that their behaviour will lead to deaths of their forebears when they come into contact with them so natural selection cannot take effect.

Nabsim

Well the raves that were held in moss side this month the police didn’t even bother trying to stop. A few hundred people was too many according to them.
When they are telling folks they won’t do anything what do they expect to happen.
Was the same with protests and demos in London they let people do what they want until someone was seriously injured or killed.
The message that is being given out is the laws only applies to the law abiding!

Tookey

In my experience you often have a larger number of family members living in one property within Asian communities which in turn would result in an increased likelyhood of a covid carrier infecting a larger number of people. Yes, I also believe that Eid will have played a part.

oppy

Well the raves that were held in moss side this month the police didn’t even bother trying to stop. A few hundred people was too many according to them.
When they are telling folks they won’t do anything what do they expect to happen.
Was the same with protests and demos in London they let people do what they want until someone was seriously injured or killed.
The message that is being given out is the laws only applies to the law abiding!
I read recently that the UK has less policemen per head of population than any other country in Europe, makes you think!

oppy

That’s a good theory. However because the virus is far more deadly to the elderly it’s likely that their behaviour will lead to deaths of their forebears when they come into contact with them so natural selection cannot take effect.
This Saturday is my 74th birthday and I have several ongoing health issues so I can assume that I too am in natural selection category. But with a modicum of common sense I'm still above ground and drawing breath. We have the annual winter cull of the vulnerable, but this has just become stupid. Anyway it is now rather late, so night night

Tim120

This Saturday is my 74th birthday and I have several ongoing health issues so I can assume that I too am in natural selection category. But with a modicum of common sense I'm still above ground and drawing breath. We have the annual winter cull of the vulnerable, but this has just become stupid. Anyway it is now rather late, so night night
I do wish you a happy birthday and many more to come.
Indeed it is late, nighty night.

sparrks

Hasn't it always been? certain groups seem to be above the law.