Lateral Flow Tests

I don’t think the care homes have a choice. If one of their residents dies from a Covid infection passed on by an un vaccinated employee they could be held liable. They have a duty of care to protect their residents and un vaccinated staff is a foreseeable and preventable risk.

Human rights will override and they will not be sacked, or if they do then the courts will favor the worker as masks jabs are not law.
It's law in England and they've had enough notice.

The care home my Dad is in has thankfully not had a singke Covid case. They are very much on the ball and all staff are jabbed. When rates started to rise again they were asking if visitors were double jabbed.
When I was allowed in the home to see him I had to go through the carers office and up the back stairs to his room so that I never came anywhere near other residents. It was either that or visit in the library as it has doors to the garden.

I don’t think the care homes have a choice. If one of their residents dies from a Covid infection passed on by an un vaccinated employee they could be held liable. They have a duty of care to protect their residents and un vaccinated staff is a foreseeable and preventable risk.
You can still have the bug and pass it on even if vaxed, all the vax means is you wont get it as bad or die.

In response to the OP, out of consideration for others, we always do tests before meeting up with friends and family, especially if we have been out and about. Neither of us have to test for work or any other mandated reason.
I know LF tests are not totally reliable, just like wearing masks in shops. It is all stuff that does not interfere with what we want to do but chips away at the probability of spreading the virus so we do it.

Whose human rights will prevail? The workers or the frail elderly who might expect their carers to exercise their duty of care.
Exercise our duty of care ? We do a very difficult job with great passion , it was heartbreaking watching their bewildered faces when we started wearing masks, long before it was mandatory ! They love facial expressions and body language even when theyve long forgotten how to speak.. they are not prisoners and are now once again taken out ( with safety precautions in place ) we will never know if the people they come into contact with are jabbed, they go into hospital for all sorts of reasons, we dont know if the nurse/ doctor/ patient in the next bed is jabbed ? They and us are tested twice a week our duty of care is never ending, but to single out one sector is wrong on all levels, especially knowing we can still get it and spread it even when double jabbed is mind boggling . Not one of our residents has ever tested positive, something all the frazzled and burnt out staff are incredibly proud of.

How will they know who they caught it off ?

@Andylynne Sorry I didn’t mean to imply criticism of care workers in general. I was just having a bit of a rant about people who refuse vaccinations. I agree that most carers do a difficult job with great passion and know they deserve better recognition. I certainly was not intending to single out one sector, particularly one I admire for doing a Job I could not do.

We regularly do LFT, as requested by Scot Gov, to help identify the spread or lack of spread in our area. So far all our tests negative.

We do LFT when visiting people or doctors/dentist. We were both tagged by Track and Trace on Saturday following I think a Bus ride on the IOW the previous Monday. The PCR test we took on the Sunday was negative.
We wear Masks everywhere there are people, I think that helped on the bus

We're still doing out LFTs every few days whilst away. We almost forget to check them after the 30 minutes us up.
We'll get one hell of a fright if there are ever 2 lines. 😳

I just cannot understand why this isn't applied to NHS employees as well. It's seems quite odd that one sector of caring it is compulsory but not all. As a nurse I could not work unless I had proven immunity to HEP B, Tb, chicken pox and rubella...this is for safety of the individual and others. No compulsory flu jab though..

I just cannot understand why this isn't applied to NHS employees as well. It's seems quite odd that one sector of caring it is compulsory but not all. As a nurse I could not work unless I had proven immunity to HEP B, Tb, chicken pox and rubella...this is for safety of the individual and others. No compulsory flu jab though..
Italy has got it right, no double jab no work. All people in employment must be vaccinated so no jab no job.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back