Kielder Castle carpark

Scotia

A wee jaunt doon the road to Kielder forest and over the forest drive to the Castle carpark £10 for an over night stay. 12 vans and a pickup with a tent on its roof. Lots of forest trail walks. Took the easy route as Christina has just broken one of her toes, Darcy being the ferocious dog she is bolted from the wood sculptures dotted along the trails. Found what looks like a witches swing in one of the trees.🤔
20200828_171337.jpg
20200828_171334.jpg
20200828_171339.jpg
20200829_081957.jpg
20200829_083238.jpg
20200829_083332.jpg
20200829_083429.jpg
20200829_083429.jpg
20200829_084002.jpg

Last edited:
Didn’t realise you could stop in the castle car park, we used to stop at the pub just before it that I hear has closed.
Hope the midges weren’t out, last time we went there from Galloway forest and midges were at least as bad :(

Didn’t realise you could stop in the castle car park, we used to stop at the pub just before it that I hear has closed.
Hope the midges weren’t out, last time we went there from Galloway forest and midges were at least as bad :(

Ah so, that says it’s a trial so maybe you couldn’t overnight when I was there, think it was early June last year. Most of the place was empty as if it was out of season. Only time I have ever been to Kielder and that’s because Charlie wanted to go on the way back from Scotland.

Ah so, that says it’s a trial so maybe you couldn’t overnight when I was there, think it was early June last year. Most of the place was empty as if it was out of season. Only time I have ever been to Kielder and that’s because Charlie wanted to go on the way back from Scotland.

Think it started in 2018.... Least that's when I first noticed it and posted about it on here
(some folks thought it was expensive at £10 ;-))

Think it started in 2018.... Least that's when I first noticed it and posted about it on here
(some folks thought it was expensive at £10 ;-))

Well it’s all relative. If we stop in a pub that doesn’t charge we will have a meal and coffee’s which is more than a tenner. Usually the food is not as good as I would make but it makes a change. A tenner is okay now and then but expensive all the time same as pub stops.
There is room for this as for an overnight at an attraction it’s welcome. If you compare to a cl though it’s expensive unless there are facilities but are there any cl’s in the area and can you just turn up? 😂😂

If a parking place is otherwise unoccupied, using it costs nothing and the owners gain some benefit from people parking there (security, or tourist spend) it makes good sense to make it free.
Charging a fee brings in a lot of additional costs in itself.

Kielder Forest is probably an easy place to police charging though as I expect they have lots of wardens. It doesn’t bother me if a gate is closed and lock you in if there is an emergency procedure in place. Problem in Kielder is getting a phone signal from what I remember, one of the worst places we have been got 3 and O2

We went just for the day a few years ago and as you say nabsim the midges were out in force and we couldn’t wait to get back in the car and move on

Few at night , noting to niggle at, a wee breeze in the morning which kept them at bay. Lovely in the Yarrow valley now.
20200829_135951.jpg
20200829_144932.jpg

Last edited:
Kielder Forest is probably an easy place to police charging though as I expect they have lots of wardens. It doesn’t bother me if a gate is closed and lock you in if there is an emergency procedure in place. Problem in Kielder is getting a phone signal from what I remember, one of the worst places we have been got 3 and O2
Correct no signal untill we were back on the road, just hoping our kids are managing to feed themselves and not fed up with weatabix and water.

Well it’s all relative. If we stop in a pub that doesn’t charge we will have a meal and coffee’s which is more than a tenner. Usually the food is not as good as I would make but it makes a change. A tenner is okay now and then but expensive all the time same as pub stops.
There is room for this as for an overnight at an attraction it’s welcome. If you compare to a cl though it’s expensive unless there are facilities but are there any cl’s in the area and can you just turn up? 😂😂
Forgot to mention that there were toilets for the use of 24hr.

How far is it from the dark sky observatory or do you know if can you park at the observatory?

I remember seeing an Observatory signage on our travels out, but think that was after Newcastleton so within the 1/2 hour if thats the same one.

How far is it from the dark sky observatory or do you know if can you park at the observatory?
Do you mean the one in the forest? If so it wasn’t that far away from the castle but couldn’t give a distance. There is some parking for visitors near the observatory but you can’t get right up. I didn’t park and walk so don’t know how par it is from the park up.

Do you mean the one in the forest? If so it wasn’t that far away from the castle but couldn’t give a distance. There is some parking for visitors near the observatory but you can’t get right up. I didn’t park and walk so don’t know how par it is from the park up.
100 yrds from the castle which is also 100 yds from the pub.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back