Keswick, and Catbells.

Fisherman

Spent three nights at the CCC site Braithwaite Village, (best campsite we have stayed in to date). There was a lovely 2.5 mile walk from there to Keswick where we took the ferry across Derwent water to the foot of one of England's most popular hills Catbells. We could have walked from the campsite, but we fancied the idea of reaching the hill across Derwent water then returning to Keswick for some outdoor pursuit shopping.
Catbells is not a large hill but it offers great views for not to much effort.

F5FEF944-DF83-48CD-BB8C-53B85AFB7837.jpeg
64E6F13E-56C1-498A-BC51-92F0977241DB.jpeg
D50629BE-DD63-4D06-9204-18B6B255572D.jpeg
12A9A867-F6E4-41DD-AAD8-82BED3019DCA.jpeg
D927C0D2-82A5-4D8B-9FDF-972C5E19CD44.jpeg
3DC63276-FD0A-4AF4-A0C3-55460F80ADC1.jpeg

Lake district was like my second home for years when I had a boat there and now its less than an hour from where we live. You are definitely in one of the most stunning areas. I used to regularly walk up Cat Bells when I had legs that worked. As you say the views are stunning.

Not been for years but just up the road from Braithwaite is the Pheasant Inn at the top end of Bassenthwaite if you are still there (sounds like you have moved) their Sunday lunch used to be fabulous. I got engaged there in 1992. :D

Lake district was like my second home for years when I had a boat there and now its less than an hour from where we live. You are definitely in one of the most stunning areas. I used to regularly walk up Cat Bells when I had legs that worked. As you say the views are stunning.

Not been for years but just up the road from Braithwaite is the Pheasant Inn at the top end of Bassenthwaite if you are still there (sounds like you have moved) their Sunday lunch used to be fabulous. I got engaged there in 1992. :D
Hi Barry, I was there three weeks ago Barry.
But we loved the site at Braithwaite Village so much so much that we are heading back in December for 4 nights. We may well visit the Pheasent Inn, thanks for that.

I suspect we will end up in the Lakes again back end of this trip in October before going home. Should be fabulous right now in all this sunshine.

I love the Lake District.

Must take my little boat up there sometime this year.

The Lake District reminds me of parts of Scotland, but with far more people.
We have been out in the hills up here and hardly seen a soul all day. But in the Lake District you are never far away from others. But it’s still one of my favourites. We did some hills in the Peak District a few years ago, and it was even busier.

Keswick is our favourite place to stay in the Lake District.
Only problem is that we feel that we're the "odd ones out" as everyone else seems to gave a dog with them.....

I think you need to pick your time carefully and where you go in the lakes. Places like Bowness and Ambleside on Windermere are busy all year round and everyone flocks there if they are not overly familiar with the place. Some of my favourites are to the north west. Buttermere, crummock water and Loweswater. End of September and October last year we had a cracking time for a month all over. It wasn't that busy.

Ullswater will always be my favourite though and has been since I first canoed on it when I was about seven years old. So many memories.

Catbells is no name for a mountain. In Scotland we have proper names for our mountains. Like Devils Penis, we’ll we did until old queen Vic changed the name of some of our mountains. Done the lakes and the peaks both in winter and have to agree the lakes and it’s Fells we’re stunning.

Catbells is no name for a mountain. In Scotland we have proper names for our mountains. Like Devils Penis, we’ll we did until old queen Vic changed the name of some of our mountains. Done the lakes and the peaks both in winter and have to agree the lakes and it’s Fells we’re stunning.
It was actually Queen Victoria's gamekeeper, John Brown who when she asked what the name of the mountain was called said it was called "The Devil's Point" so as not to offend her.
The proper name of the mountain is "Bod an Deimhain" which literally means penis of the devil.
I think that he probably called it the devil's point to save his embarrassment rather than offend the Queen as I don't think that she was that easily offended!

What is it Rob? Presumably something you can trail?

It's an Alu Rib 350 Barry;

It has an Epropulsion electric outboard with remotes which is fine for the river but I plan to get a petrol outboard for open water. Great little boat with loads of room for me and my camping gear.

It's an Alu Rib 350 Barry;

It has an Epropulsion electric outboard with remotes which is fine for the river but I plan to get a petrol outboard for open water. Great little boat with loads of room for me and my camping gear.

When we first got the motorhome I got something similar. I think it was a Quicksilver Airdeck. I put an 8hp Yamaha engine on it and it went really well. Planed nicely. It was too much hassle and all too heavy for the van though. If your looking for a used outboard have a word with Will Grundy at Ullswater Marine and mention your a friend of mine. I got my outboard off him. Honest guy. Had boats there for years.

Couple of places you can launch easy enough on Ullswater and you will get away with breaking the 10mph limit easier than Windermere.

Yeah love Ullswater too Barry. IWill probably go for something 15_20hp. Which will do for the Sea as well.

I will bear that marina in mind ta.

Yeah love Ullswater too Barry. IWill probably go for something 15_20hp. Which will do for the Sea as well.

I will bear that marina in mind ta.

I bet a boat that size would go well enough with a 9.9. it will fly with a 15 though. Trouble with the Airdeck I found was it wasn't that stable at speed. I reckon it would have been easy to flip it and fall out if it. Michelle hated it. Only went in it once. :D would have been fantastic here down in Cornwall and Devon these past seven weeks.

The Alu Rib has more of a V hull Barry. And although it's a planing boat they are a lot more stable in that they will cut through a wave rather than get flipped.

you will know this of course but for those who don't.

I bet a boat that size would go well enough with a 9.9. it will fly with a 15 though. Trouble with the Airdeck I found was it wasn't that stable at speed. I reckon it would have been easy to flip it and fall out if it. Michelle hated it. Only went in it once. :D would have been fantastic here down in Cornwall and Devon these past seven weeks.
The Alu Rib has more of a V hull Barry. And although it's a planing boat they are a lot more stable in that they will cut through a wave rather than get flipped.

I take you two won’t be handing over £9 for a return trip on the boat to Catbells then. :)

Yes it looked pretty stable and you could see the V hull in the video Rob. Nice looking boat. The main concern with the Airdeck was at speed if you were a bit sharp with the steering it felt like either you would be going straight on when the boat turned way too sharply or it might flip. It had floor stirrups like a windsurfer and you needed them

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back