Just to praise CAL MAC

Fisherman

We were supposed to travel to Tiree on Thursday but owing to a family issue at the last minute we had to cancel our plans.
I contacted CalMac hours before the sailing, just to inform them that we could not travel in case someone else who had not booked could get on board.
I was surprised when the girl said no problems, we will hold your booking till another date.
I informed her that could be next year and she said that is not a problem.
First class Cal Mac, I wish others would act in this way.

Last edited:
We too have had excellent service from them. They sent us a text message to say that the sailing we were on had been cancelled due to a breakdown and could we get to port x instead. It happened that we were already almost there so it was very straightforward all in all.

We were supposed to travel to Tiree on Thursday but owing to a family issue at the last minute we had to cancel our plans.
I contacted CalMac hours before the sailing, just to inform them that we could not travel in case someone else who had not booked could get on board.
I was surprised when the girl said no problems, we will hold your booking till another date.
I informed her that could be next year and she said that is not a problem.
First class Cal Mac, I wish BA and others would act in this way.

To be fair, BA do sell flexible and refundable tickets.

Cal Mac are great. We rarely book. Just turn up at a ferry port and 9 times out of 10 they fit us on.

Just been to Arran via CalMac and very impressed with the service and cost.

The cost Rolyan is due to the Scottish government.
Years ago before I got my first Motorhome it cost me £130 return for my car my wife and I. If the road tariff equivalent scheme was not in place it would probably have cost you £170-200 instead of £47 for a 6m Motorhome with driver and passenger.
Anyway more importantly Arran is s great place for wild camping, we are heading over there for 6 nights next month. Hope you had s good time.

Do you have to book the Arran crossing, or can you just rock up, like you can at Lochaline?
Depends runnach when you are going.
But I always book in advance it’s simple to do at their website.
I have seen cars turned away or told to wait till a ferry later in the day who had not booked. My advice is book before you go.

The cost Rolyan is due to the Scottish government.
Years ago before I got my first Motorhome it cost me £130 return for my car my wife and I. If the road tariff equivalent scheme was not in place it would probably have cost you £170-200 instead of £47 for a 6m Motorhome with driver and passenger.
Anyway more importantly Arran is s great place for wild camping, we are heading over there for 6 nights next month. Hope you had s good time.
Yep, very impressed with the subsidy. Otherwise I wouldn’t have gone. Had a great time, 6 nights, 3 on sites and 3 wild camping (found via the app). Saw stags n seals n otters.

Do you have to book the Arran crossing, or can you just rock up, like you can at Lochaline?
Like Fisherman says, it’s worth booking if you can. It was still quite busy last week. Double check the crossings, there are some (not many) that have a height restriction; it’s all clear on the website.

My advice would be to always book. If you are booked they are very flexible so long as you tell them what is happening. You can always catch a later ferry but if you are booked you are guaranteed a spot. Also, it helps if you are booked if you want an earlier sailing.

Last year I did this on Arran hope it helps

I have been travelling to Arran for over 40 years now, it’s a lovely island with varying views and local communities. But most importantly it’s geat for wild camping and due to the Scottish government subsidising the ferry crossings I get my 5. 97m chausson 510 over for just over £30 return plus £15 return for me and my wife. The crossing from ardrossan takes 55 mins, and you are required at the port 30 mins before boarding.

You arrive on the islands largest town Brodick, in the distance you can see goat fell 2896ft a hill we have done many times both from Brodick, and from Corrie which is six miles north from Brodick. Brodick has shops, cafes, restaurants, a Chinese take away, and much more. You can camp for free in the old coop car park near the beach. There is toilet facilities there, and a great beach. You could pop round to Brodick castle about a mile away or visit the local brewery or for the ladies visit Arran Aromatics. From the top of goat fell on a clear day Northern Ireland is clearly visible.

On arrival at Brodick you have three choices, stay in Brodick, head south to Lamlash and Marganaheglish, or head north to Sannox. If you head for north Sannox drive through the village till you see a sign for pony trekking. Turn right follow the single track road for about 600yds till you come to the forrestry car park. It’s on your pois. There is plenty of room there for 20 or so vans you will always find plenty of space. From there you can enjoy the views over the firth of Clyde, viewing the Isle of Bute and great cumbrae. You can take a coastal walk to the fallen stones or if you want to venture further you can walk to Lagan cottage. If you are feeling realy fit you could walk about 10 miles to Lochranza then either walk back via the road, or get the bus.

Next morning head 7 miles north to Lochranza. It boasts a beautiful peninsula with a castle which is free to enter. Roe and red deer roam freely you are sure to see some stags. Lochranza has a hotel were you can enjoy a meal or a snack. You can also sail to claonaig on the car ferry if you wish to venture on to the mull of kintyre. If you wish there is a campsite in Lochranza but the proprietor insists on a min of two nights, and you would have to book in advance. There is a local run public toilet across from the ferry terminal, but no waste recycling is available here. You could wild camp close to the ferry terminal, but I would suggest a late arrival as it tends to be busy during the day with cars. Lochranza offers one of the best walks on the island, the 11 mile route around the cock of Arran. This route takes in a wonderful coastal walk, followed by a hill walk over the hills back in to Lochranza. But be careful either take a map and compass or a fully charged mobile phone with the relevant ordinance survey maps. Orientation over the hill can be difficult.

From Lochranza head six miles south to Thunderguy/ pirnmill. You should be able to park on a laybye by the side of the road, we have spent many nights there, the road on the west side of the island is very quiet. From here you can venture up to a Lochan which is absolutely stunning. From there you can look over the kilbrannan sound towards kintyre, and on a clear day the paps of Jura are clearly visible. The west side of the island is littered with beautiful lay byes were you can safely park up for the night.

Next head for blackwaterfoot. Here the toilet has waste recycling at the rear of the toilet, and an outside tap for fresh water. You can donate in an honesty box, I always leave a fiver when I use these facilities which are paid for and run by the local community. Blackwaterfoot foot is a lovely village you will find plenty to do there, and the blackwaterfoot hotel offers excellent food and beverages.

Next head to the south of the island and kildonnan, but enroute stop and spend some time in Lagg, it’s a stunning small village, a sleepy hollow were you can enjoy a coffee at the lagg inn. The pois on here show a car park in kildonnan of a narrow road, but there are other places you can stop over. You will enjoy the views to the small island of pladda with its iconic lighthouse, and in the distance you will see paddy’s milstone the Alisa Craig. A bird sanctuary managed now by the rspb.

Next head for the village of whiting bay. Whiting bay also offers free waste recycling at its community run toilet and there are some shops cafes etc. Also from here you will see the stunning holy isle for the first time. But the best is yet to come.

From whiting bay head for lamlash, from here the holy isle with its summit the mullach mor takes on a whole new perspective. I can still remember vividly the first time I saw this island in 1973. It looks like someone simply put it there for asthetic reasons, but it’s presence transforms lamlash and the sea view into one of the most beautiful in this part of Scotland in my honest opinion. You can venture onto the island which is now run by a religious group and ascend to the top of the mullach mor 890ft and the views from up there are stunning.

Now the best bit.
On your pois you will see a rural car park at Kerr point.
Drive through lamlash. You will come to a bend on the road heading back to Brodick, turn right into marganaheglish. You will see a sign post for the only hospital on the island. Drive to the end of the road for about 1.5 miles and you will come to Kerr point on your right. It’s an adhoc carpark large enough for 4-5 vans, and it enjoys spectacular views across to the mainland and the holy isle. From there you can do the clauchland hills, walk over them to Brodick, or head for Brodick via the coastal walk. This is my favourite spot on arran. You should see plenty of grey seals, and if you are lucky otters and dolphins have been spotted here.

Well Arran is a great island to visit, but the roads are a wee bit tight at times, but if I can drive then any of you can. The locals are ok but some are anti Motorhome. This has been created by the massive increase of cars and Motorhomes venturing over since the introduction of the road tariff eqivelent subsidies making it cheap to get over to the island. Before these subsidies I used to pay £148 return for the van and two adults, now it’s only £47.

Enjoy Arran, spend some time there you are sure to enjoy it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
Jul 8, 2018

Having just spent a week on Arran, that review and itinerary by Fisherman is spot on. The only thing it doesn’t mention is advice to call into the Old Pier Head Cafe in Whiting Bay and get one of the best sausage rolls you will ever eat.

Meanwhile, at Kildonan....
2C9F4672-A111-44E5-B757-6A46CB7CE262.jpeg

Last edited:
Having just spent a week on Arran, that review and itinerary is spot on. The only thing it doesn’t mention is advice to call into the Old Pier Head Cafe in Whiting Bay and get one of the best sausage rolls you will ever eat.

Meanwhile, at Kildonan....View attachment 73693

I think you are talking about the old pierhead cafe in Lamlash, at the entrance to were the holy isle ferry leaves. If you are we always visit this cafe and I can recommend it also. But what a stunning photo of an otter. If you head back into marganaheglish you would have found plenty of grey seals and otters they can also be found there. Lamlash bay has been a no fishing area for about twenty years now. Hence the amount of otters and seals in that area. I have even spotted dolphins in the bay, and orcas were spotted between Bute and Arran this year.
But kildonan is a lovely part of the island with plenty of spots for wild camping. The carpark for Loch Garbad and another across the road are two fine spots. And Loch garbad provides a lovely walk. If you do walk to Loch garbad make sure you visit the library, it is unique.
For the golfers on here Arran offers the only 12 hole golf course in the world in machrie. Arran has 7 courses and you can buy a ticket to play all of them for a very modest fee.
Please, if you do use the chemical waste points In blackwaterfoot and whiting bay, please leave a donation. The toilets are maintained by the locals at their expense. The council gave them all up two years ago. You can also get water from the toilets.
The campsite at kildonan is probably the best owing to its position. The views are gorgeous of pladda and it’s lighthouse with Alisa Craig in the background. Plus as this great photo of the otter shows there is wonderful wildlife there.

The outdoor shop in Brodick Arran outdoors is well worth a visit.
Also across the road from it there is a standpipe for water. It’s listed on the online maps on here. But I would not overnight in Brodick, it’s the one part of the island where I don’t feel completely comfortable.

I also just came back from a few nights on Arran and while I have lots more that could be said, it has been covered very well already by "fisherman".

I Wilded on some of the many spots just toward Pimmel, and beyond then round over Sannox/corrie way.

I also stayed at an open all year round site near Shiskine called Bridgend Camp site to get disposal, plugged in showered and washed the van down. By the looks of it there arent too many that do open all year round. Jan and her fella who are the winter wardens gave me plenty advice and Id recommend the small site to anyone.

Heading North from Blackwaterfoot bay is The old Byrne visitor centre turn right a mile or so just past Machrie (hand knitted scarf for the better half) I ate a lovely home made soup in the little cafe there called cafe Thyme,I got my 7.5 metre van up the winding road to the cafe no problem.
Then on up to get some up close and pictures of seals fishing from rocks toward Pimmel.

Had many a paddle with the dogs in the may streams/rivers casacading down from the hills. Wandered round the distillery at Lochranza and tried the wee dram.

If you do stay at Bridgend Campsite, have a 100 yard wander to the old CLachan church down by the water through the graveyard and down the steps.
Ferry was by Calmac and was quick and efficient. 7.5 meter 55.00 return.

This was a quick last minute trip just myself and the dogs, but we will be going back for sure with my better half for a longer stay. the Island pic is Holy Island from Lamlash, and the site pic is Bridgend Campsite where I stayed and was looked after by Jan.
bridgend.jpg
holy.jpg
Seals.jpg
shiskine.jpg

Some wildlife shots from Arran this year.
the seals taken Lamlash bay towards Kerr point
the cormorant north Sannox forestry commission car Park.
E4DCC14E-865F-420E-8A73-B5A555D67ECA.jpeg
BA7A4751-C5FB-4BB9-BC92-D1C855F59FD1.jpeg
D9713DFA-C24F-4533-A499-6E4CE72553A3.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back