I've written a booklet - Wild Camping for Families - Thoughts Welcome!

Wow - I've never come across Mr D's or the Wonderbag before - Do you have one? Does it work well?

we use our wonderbag lots best thing bought for MH but it is big so if space is essential where it will live would need thinking about. Also every official wonderbag you buy one goes to Africa ;)

Going with the great certificate idea you could have 'mechanic's certs';

Level 1 light bulb checks (you need a 2nd person anyway)
Level 2 tyres
Level 3 oil, water levels and belts
Level 4 engine parts Identification

Good idea re break days and involved with tasks like fetching water in aqua rolls etc ...no one knows their children like parents do / or should my two girls chalk and cheese. They come with no manuals or tech spec so very much trial and error.

My youngest particularly is in the zone ,watching ladybirds and butterflies in a bush will spend hours watching and talking to them ...as an extension to this when the tide is out we can spend hours looking in rock pools on Filey brigg.

Eldest prefers the van, youngest loves the tent , bad weather out comes the snap cards or tiddlywinks, hilarious it seems when dad loses his fiddle ne’er mind the gale blowing outside .

As soon as the other two siblings could put up their tent outside, we did and helped them and were much happier, Living in the van was quite cloustrophobic. Never mind being driven around every day to see new things which was all very well, for my parents, but constantly unsetteling for we kids.

As they grow up children, then adolescents, they need more. Children in particular benefit from stability, not constantly on the move. I was much happier with long vacations in one place. Don't kid your self that it is a great experience for them, always, no matter how hard you try.

One relative insisted on "home schooling" his children with his dominated wife (very bright). Well they have turned out OK but damaged a little. Actually quite badly.

Last edited:
As soon as the other two siblings could put up their tent outside, we did and helped them and were much happier, Living in the van was quite cloustrophobic. Never mind being driven around every day to see new things which was all very well, for my parents, but constantly unsetteling for we kids.

As they grow up children, then adolescents, they need more. Children in particular benefit from stability, not constantly on the move. I was much happier with long vacations in one place. Don't kid your self that it is a great experience for them, always, no matter how hard you try.

One relative insisted on "home schooling" his children with his dominated wife (very bright). Well they have turned out OK but damaged a little. Actually quite badly.
Its really interesting to hear how you recall the journeys and I have been reflecting on it. You certainly have a point and actually something I don't mention in the booklet is people who 'full-time' and I can see that it is a very different kettle of fish. Obviously, i don't do that as I recognise the need for a stable 'base' for my daughter and also both myself and my partner have jobs! My 'wild camping with children' drive, is to get them into the real world for a bit away from being drip-fed stuff via computer games and all the stress and strife's of the world. To show them a different reality.

Home education is often a divisive one. When my daughter was younger and before she actually went to school, I used to leave her (whilst I worked) with my friend who was a huge home-educator. I fervently believe that this gave her the confidence at a young age to talk to people and not be afraid of adults, but then i also suspect such an attitude was in her nature anyway. I have known home-educated children who almost light up the room with their confidence in themselves and the fact that they have been allowed to find and explore their 'true will'. I have also known children that have been home-educated and which didn't work very well for them. I think it in part, its down to that whole nature V nurture thing. Some kids will love it, others not, but as the parents its up to us to try and make the best decisions we can for them as there's no-one else to do it and no-one is perfect , life just isn't like that.

All the best,
Melissa

I love this! What a unique and alternative upbringing for your children to have.

I have issues with the way the kids are schooled these days but that said, Florence is doing well 'academically'. I pulled her out of school last year for nearly four weeks to travel round Ireland - Fully expected the bloody fines to arrive but they haven't! That fining thing annoys me to hell. I'm sure it's down to the headteachers and some are more liable to alert the fine-issuing authorities, than others.

You sound like someone with lots of practical skills though - which sadly, is what I lack! I can fix computers - but that doesn't work too well on a van with no 240V supply and little space!

I especially like your comment "nice kids though. i like them" - I think that says a lot.

Melissa
There are 12v pc to be had.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back