Isle of Whithorn

davep10000

Pic taken last Friday (all stayed overnight, at least one on levelling blocks).
No suggestion that any of the 7 vans filling the small car park are doing anything wrong (There are not any 'no overnight' signs).
The staff at the Steam Packet Inn ask people to stay on the adjoining grassy area, which had only 2 vans on it - probably because its a bit slopey?.

Pub is brilliant, and will get a fair income from M/Homers (We spent over £90 there!), but cant help thinking that signs will appear soon....

This car park is used early doors for dog walkers, and sight seeing (Its a great view to the Isle of Man).

I am not being judgemental but what do you think?

Attachments

• 20200912_075727[1].jpg
    20200912_075727[1].jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 273
I think there are now just too many motorhomes going for too few spots.
I just hope they don't discover the more out of the way spots that are still quiet...

We were there 1 Sept. One CV in the car park when we arrived so we stayed on the grassed area as we did not want to create the impression that MHs/CVs were taking over the carpark. Grass area next to the boat, which like many in this area don't seem to have been moved for a long time, on a bit of a slope and on grass, put the front wheels on small pieces of ply as it was raining. We did move to the carpark for breakfast as the rain was getting heavy and there was a risk of getting stuck.
Isle of Whithorn.JPG

We we away for 27 nights and were only on our own overnight for 12 of these. In 11 years wildcamping our experience in the UK has been that it is very unusual not to be on our own overnight - so things appear to be changing.

Not for me I like to have a disco before going to bed. Some people prefer the safety in numbers approach, others like the comeradery (Is that a word?). Me I prefer solitude on holiday.
They are bound to annoy someone.

Not been there for donkeys years but it always seemed a laid back kind of place. Nice place. I have a feeling though there was something on here years ago about no overnight signs going up there but maybe I am wrong. Or perhaps they have decided its ok. From memory that car park and grassy area is tucked away round the corner out of sight. If nobody is objecting and people are spending money then perhaps its not an issue.

Were at Isle of Whithorn yesterday, but didn't stay the night ... about 6 vans there mid pm ... 3 on car park. No sign of camping behaviour :)
Unlike tonight at Clatteringshaws, one of the Galloway Forest trial parking... quite a few chairs out and wandering off with containers to help themselves to water from the cafe tap.
Interestingly though, they've installed a black waste point.

Personally as a local I would have no issue and I include my pre camper days. I would probably be a bit disgruntled if as a dog walker there were no spaces but that's me being grumpy not cos anyone is doing anything wrong :LOL:

The first dog poo and dog poo in a plastic bag would offend me more.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back