Inverter installation advice

Iain55

Hi
I am installing a Phoenix Inverter VE Direct in my motorhome.
Everything is planned and bought.
However the installation guide says it requires an earth to the inverter casing
I can see the connection point on the case.
Where do I connect the earth cable on my motorhome ???

I’ve installed a 2kW pure sine wave inverter and connected it to battery +ve and -ve terminals via appropriate diameter cables and fuses. I didn’t connect the case to anything else as the vehicle chassis is actually the -ve. Not had any issues

I’ve installed a 2kW pure sine wave inverter and connected it to battery +ve and -ve terminals via appropriate diameter cables and fuses. I didn’t connect the case to anything else as the vehicle chassis is actually the -ve. Not had any issues
Thanks, I've got the recommended 170amp 25mm² cables plus 100amp inline fuse and new battery connectors to take additional cables.
Just wasn't sure about the earth cable

Just want to ask what are your powering that requires a so large inverter, hope you have a massif bank of batteries.

I asked the supplier what I would need to charge my electric bike batteries and they recommended a 12/800 inverter.
I assumed they knew what they were talking about. I have 2 batteries and a 150w solar panel.
I have 200w solar and 2 90ah batteries, they can just about run a small 250w fridge or a 400w fan heater for a short time, you may need to keep your engine running when using a large inverter as it will flatten the batts in about 20 mins, wildbus is the man here to ask.

It's about protection, not it's function. Just imagine the extra work you would get if everyone removed their consumer units from home?

I asked the supplier what I would need to charge my electric bike batteries and they recommended a 12/800 inverter.
I assumed they knew what they were talking about. I have 2 batteries and a 150w solar panel.
I'm assuming that's a 800w invertor, if so that equates to nearly 10 times the power required by most electric bike chargers.
I would note that my advice for charging bikes is "A little and often", i.e. don't flatten the batteries then fully charge them, we usually limit ourselves to charging the bikes for 1 hour per day.

Definitely need to double check these days. I used my 300w invertor okay on my nobility charger battery’s but when I bought an escooter it just wouldn’t charge. I should have realised when it said fast charger in under two hours where similar makes quoted 8 hours plus. If you told the supplier what the bike needs it should be fine

If you told the supplier what the bike needs it should be fine
There's no doubt the OP's invertor will be fine, but it may well way OTT. e.g. the 'standard' Bosch bike charger has a label which states input as 1.6A, this you might infer as meaning you need 370w for each charger, the reality is they draw (IIRC) 84w! It might be that the OP's charger takes more, and needs a 800w invertor for two bkes, but as Wildbus has posted on other threads, you then need to consider what size battery bank you have.

Must be a very low amperage charger to do so on a 150w inverter.
I had a look at the chargers I have for my Bikes and they were lower than I expected actually... the output of my chargers are each 2A @ 48V, so under 100W. Taking charger inefficiencies into account, one charger would still be ok on a 150W inverter.
(They must a fair time to recharge from dead! definately an overnight job, so would probably do the pair at the same time if we both went out on the bikes in the day - I would not be surprised if other chargers had a much bigger draw for a faster charge?)

I had a look at the chargers I have for my Bikes and they were lower than I expected actually... the output of my chargers are each 2A @ 48V, so under 100W. Taking charger inefficiencies into account, one charger would still be ok on a 150W inverter.
(They must a fair time to recharge from dead! definately an overnight job, so would probably do the pair at the same time if we both went out on the bikes in the day - I would not be surprised if other chargers had a much bigger draw for a faster charge?)
Best to have the data at hand, two bikes of course will draw double so as said 300+. (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back