Internal Electrics

wander

I have a autohome wanderer.
Have experienced problems with internal electrics since purchasing motorhome last Sept. Following a visit to supplying dealer, all problems should have been rectified.
However whilst everythings seems ok now, I notice that when the engine is running, none of the internal electrics work. As soon as the ignition is turned off, the internal 12v electrics are fine.

Can someone tell if if this is normal, or is there still something wrong? Should the internal lights work when the engine is running?

I don't want to go back to the dealer showing too much of my ignorance !!! So if anyone can advise, I shall be extremely grateful
regards,
Gerald

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Scotland-edale trip 2012 064.jpg
    Scotland-edale trip 2012 064.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Scotland-edale trip 2012 074.jpg
    Scotland-edale trip 2012 074.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 205
  • Scotland-edale trip 2012 069 (2).jpg
    Scotland-edale trip 2012 069 (2).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCF1738.jpg
    DSCF1738.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF1686.jpg
    DSCF1686.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 211 (2).jpg
    211 (2).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 215
wander, I am a total duffer with electrics but something occurred toi me as I read your post. please do not take this as in any way a knowledgeable reply but something that just popped into my head.
a split charger cuts off the leisure circuits from the engine circuits when engine isn't running. is it possible the wiring is wrong in that stopping any connection while the engine is running instead of just when it is not??
if something in there has been reversed it sounds possible but only an idea from what I have been reading up onj the subject. you really need an autoelectrician.

don't take it as advice gerald. I may be way out. Just a thought. :huh:

Don,t know the answer,Ive a Burstner and both systems work either together or seperate.Have you tried posting on other sites such as Practical motorhome forum or motorhomefacts.com ?,I,m sure there will be somebody on either sites will have the same vehicle or had a similar problem

The situation you have is perfectly normal on UK motorhomes. Imported vans don’t seem to be wired the same way.

Allegedly its to stop interference with any engine management systems, personally if they are potentially that sensitive, I’d be worried.

A lot of people do modify their wiring to stop the ‘domestic’ circuits switching off when the engine is running.

Don't forget to visit my website :)

Thanks again, Steve.

It is just reassuring that there is nothing amiss with my system.

I was particularly interested in your website, and wish you every success for your venture
Regards,
Gerald

Hi Gerald

We have a 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne and it is the same. The electrics cut out as soon as the engine starts. Can be a pain when we leave home in daylight and arrive to a site at night as I end up tripping over kids and dogs in the dark whilst trying to get to the door to turn the 12v system back on! Still the kids find it hilarious to hear mum falling over in the dark and cursing loudly. Certainly starts our weekend with lots of laughs! Our previous MH Autotrail Apache was the same.

Have fun

H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back