insuring a rear view camera

delicagirl

hi everyone... does anyone have insurance on their rear view camera equipment on their van? i have just been told by my insurer that it does not form part of the "equipment" and so is not covered... i bought a really expensive one and fitting costs were high.....

I would have thought as it's a fixed item it would be covered, were it an item that was just stuck on when wanted then possibly not.

AIB initially weren't interested in pursuing this. As soon as i said i would call Darron on Monday and hung up she decided to dig a bit further...... AIB service is not as good as it used to be... but then what is in this life? She came back to me and listened. I told her i am replacing an old one. She then said she will contact the insurers on monday.....

I told her i am replacing an old one. She then said she will contact the insurers on monday.....
I'd assumed that if it where accident damaged it would be replaced if stolen it would be below my voluntary access and I'd have to replace it

it is on the top of the van at the back... and so unlikely to be accident damaged unless i rolled the van. it cost more than £200 so its a really good one. The cab is not very secure being an old van 1993... so its more like that the monitor would be nicked first. She is looking at my excess and seeing where she goes with the insurers.

Check carefully.
Yes it may be insured but how much is your excess which yo may have to pay. the excess ?
Then you would have a claim and your premium would go up next year and still be higher a further year down the line.
My IMPRESSION is that although you might keep NCB.(ie protected) .the premium gets loaded anyway

I would not make a claim for a camera even a £200 camera.
But I would have thought it should have been covered.

The kits £25/£30 of ebay why bother insuring,if either part goes down a cheap fix,mine has worked for years no bother.
cam 1.jpg
cam 2.jpg

The insurers seem to like it both ways,every year I get asked if I have a reversing camera and finally decided to fit one about six months ago. When it came time to renew I told them I had fitted one,expecting a small discount,but was told it made no difference to my premium...well why bother asking me every year!?

Insurers I wouldn’t be surprised will treat it as a modification anything could happen therefore to premium,execesses or even them not wanting to provide cover . That last part sounds extreme but have personal experiences with esure

She is looking at my excess and seeing where she goes with the insurers.
My voluntary excess is £250 so shouldn't be making a claim on anything less than £350 as premium would go up next year as well if I did. Low branches among other things are know for sweeping things off roofs causing accident damage

Insurers I wouldn’t be surprised will treat it as a modification anything could happen therefore to premium,execesses or even them not wanting to provide cover . That last part sounds extreme but have personal experiences with esure

its a replacement for the original one so not a mod thanks

The kits £25/£30 of ebay why bother insuring,if either part goes down a cheap fix,mine has worked for years no bother.

my last one, a RING, wireless cost £80 failed 3 times. i am in the process of claiming a full refund. so i wanted something decent. new one has 2 cameras next to each other. one looks down one looks back. it has really really improved my vision and the monitor has great definition. i was just shocked at the fitting cost. but hes a good auto electrician.

I told my insurers (Comfort & Aviva) that I had a dashcam !
Any discount? No !
However it may help in the event of a court case...But then again they often say no ! Because of editing etc..
As they say "The Camera never lies"...but it does !!!

A camera costs about £25. A screen slightly less. The wires in between, rather less. So the highest loss possible is £75. Nobody sensible would claim for such a small value.

I have a Ring reverse camera and all parts are available separately so wouldn’t bother with insurance if had to replace a monitor or camera. I’ve fitted loads of them being an HGV mechanic and they’re good and reliable.

A camera costs about £25. A screen slightly less. The wires in between, rather less. So the highest loss possible is £75. Nobody sensible would claim for such a small value.

i have the receipt it is a top end product not wireless

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back