Instant Porridge recipe

suneye

I have spent the evening making bowls of porridge. We have used the little pots that you just add water to but I don't like the plastic waste so have been trying to replicate the mixture we can make in a bowl or mug. This is the mix that we liked best:

For each serving
40g Oats - I used the lidl scottish porridge oats
10g Milk powder (we use Nido)
One teaspoon (5g) brown sugar - optional.

I multiplied this mixture for two for 5 days (400g oats, 100g Milk powder)
Give this a quick whizz with a blender just to break up the oats a little
put it all in plastic box.
One serving is a half a cup measure. Put this in a mug and add half a cup measure of boiling water (this is quite thick so add a bit more if you don't like to stand your spoon up in it) and stir, put something over the cup to act as a lid and leave for a few minutes - done.

You can also measure your porridge into a bowl and add water or milk whichever you prefer the night before. Next morning just warm it up and enjoy :)

Did I say I love porridge? :)

You can also measure your porridge into a bowl and add water or milk whichever you prefer the night before. Next morning just warm it up and enjoy :)

Did I say I love porridge? :)

How do you warm it in the van? Don't really want a porridgy saucepan to wash in the morning (not a morning person!)

Porridge is ment to be made with water and salt,however i use asda at 76p a large bag of heavy stuff,handful in a plastic jug,milk spoonful of drinking chocolate m/wave 4 mins or longer let stand to thicken<can be boiled in a pan> then either brown suger ,honey or jam dollop in center,slurp slurp.
For those timid little darlings who like it fine<baby food> use readybreak.:tongue:

As above leave to soak in full milk overnight, then 4 mins in the little box!! Finally add soft fruit blueberries blackcurrants raspberries etc😘

Vile stuff, I'd rather eat sawdust! My grandfather used to have it every morning made with just water and salt, he was a Scot so had rather eccentric culinary tastes :banana:

Reminds me of Samuel Johnson's definition of oats as "a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people" :D

Vile stuff, I'd rather eat sawdust! My grandfather used to have it every morning made with just water and salt, he was a Scot so had rather eccentric culinary tastes :banana:

Reminds me of Samuel Johnson's definition of oats as "a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people" :D

If you eat frys etc or kelloggs crap then do pay into priv med insurance,like my brother you will require a hart bypass once over 50.

You have to find the perfect recipe that suits you then you will be converted. As for that quote probably put out by the Scotts to stop us eating all their oats!!

You have to find the perfect recipe that suits you then you will be converted. As for that quote probably put out by the Scotts to stop us eating all their oats!!

Feck you are onto them,crafty barstewarts.

How do you warm it in the van? Don't really want a porridgy saucepan to wash in the morning (not a morning person!)

Yes sorry I do then warm it up in a non stick (lies, more lies and damn lies, if sticks a bit) pan. It just does away with the simmering once you bring to the boil if you soak it overnight lol

A 2kg bag of porridge oats from Sainsburys about?£2.20. Put 5 heaped dessert spoons of oats into a small saucepan ( plenty for two of us) add a drop of hot water and stir,then add cold milk,heat gently on your gas ring stirring all the time till the mix bubbles and thickens,serve this into warmed bowls (add warm water to the used pan, so it starts to self clean) whilst you enjoy your bowl of porridge with whatever you desire to add,our preference is grapes and sliced bananna,simples, why complicate a simple process? We use a stainless steel small saucepan,never sticks,or burns if you pay attention when cooking.

Last edited:
Trev is of course right Salt and water the traditional ways of preparation ..Therin lies porridges problem sweeten using syrups and not too good on the sugar or Salt and risk high blood pressure overall

Personally cook traditional and stir in golden syrup or treacle .....good carbs releasing energy rest of the day

Channa

I must have the perfect health bowl as I use neither salt nor sugar, only water. I have a small silicon spatula that I stir it with and use this to clean out the saucepan into the bowl which leaves practically a clean pan

I make up a pancake mixture and keep in a plastic milk container in the fridge. Splash of scotch and a dollop of cream. Lovely

20190512_101048.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back