Inconsiderate Parking

Asterix

Free Member
I pulled into a long layby late afternoon yesterday,I was the only one there so I parked at the first spot near the entrance,shortly after a mh pulled in about 2 lengths in front of me,took the dog out later and noticed two more had turned up and spaced themselves along the rest of the layby. There was enough room left for one artic,but if they'd all parked sensibly there could've easily been room for three artics. I do wonder if people don't realise the HGV drivers are on the clock and by law need to stop,I see this all the time,do others think this is inconsiderate?

I think it is but only because I drive a truck. I think they just don’t understand and have never been educated accordingly.

Frankly I'm more than happy to leave most laybys to the truckers....

I'm really not that keen on stopping in spots that are full of litter and bottles of 'Truckers Tizer' let alone the racket of fridge packs into the night.

They drivers I’ve had the pleasure of working with wouldn’t think twice of banging on a few motorhome doors and telling them to fuking move! 😂

Laybys are for anyone unless there is a truck notice entering it,you have as much right to rest as they have.

Laybys are for anyone unless there is a truck notice entering it,you have as much right to rest as they have.

I don't disagree,but to me it's just common sense not to inconvenience others, especially knowing they HAVE to stop,and usually we have options.

Inconsiderate parking can be attributed to all types of vehicles.
But I doubt it if you will see any comments on other types of forums.
This highlights to me that this concern is borne from the fact that we set better standards, and become frustrated and angry when some fall below a certain standard.

We would have parked as you described. It would annoy us if someone parked up right on our bumper when there is lots of space. And then there’d have been a thread about that!
BUT if I’d seen trucks coming in and not able to park, we’d have shuffled up to make space.

Having spent years sleeping in laybys while lorry driving I really can't imagine anyone doing it for pleasure, unless it's some form of fetish. Noisy, smelly and with rats running around. There are thousands of places to overnight, often not far from the main trunk roads which must be better than that.

We would have parked as you described. It would annoy us if someone parked up right on our bumper when there is lots of space. And then there’d have been a thread about that!
BUT if I’d seen trucks coming in and not able to park, we’d have shuffled up to make space.

Since posting on here I have been surprised at the amount of self criticism.
Some always seem to point out our deficiencies, some of which are borne out of ignorance, or simply a lack of facilities. Whilst I do find it irrational and irritating at times, it does highlight that we set a high standard for what we do, and that is laudable.

I remember one poster posting a photograph of a wild camper dumping his grey waste, with their outlet left open. Surely the benefit of the doubt could have been applied, I have accidentally forgot to close my valve before taking off. Generally speaking we are a considerate bunch, albeit with one or two who simply don’t care. We have to remember that one in five Motorhomes are hired, and many of those using them are genuinely ignorant of our accepted behaviour.

Having spent years sleeping in laybys while lorry driving I really can't imagine anyone doing it for pleasure, unless it's some form of fetish. Noisy, smelly and with rats running around. There are thousands of places to overnight, often not far from the main trunk roads which must be better than that.

I don't usually use lay-bys but this particular one is always clean and tidy,with picnic tables and plenty of space for the dog to run around,also it's not always simple to find a quieter spot when I'm in a truck.

Inconsiderate parking can be attributed to all types of vehicles.
But I doubt it if you will see any comments on other types of forums.
This highlights to me that this concern is borne from the fact that we set better standards, and become frustrated and angry when some fall below a certain standard.

In his particular case I'm singling out motorhomers simply because we are overnighting whereas cars usually only stop for brief periods.

In his particular case I'm singling out motorhomers simply because we are overnighting whereas cars usually only stop for brief periods.

Asterix no problem, and your post shows that you are a considerate person, we need more like you.

I am trying to point out that we are very much into self criticism, which has its place.

But I am new to this site and Motorhoming, I just find this surprising.

Obviously we are treated like nuisances by many, possibly this is what makes us this way.

Asterix no problem, and your post shows that you are a considerate person, we need more like you.

I am trying to point out that we are very much into self criticism, which has its place.

But I am new to this site and Motorhoming, I just find this surprising.

Obviously we are treated like nuisances by many, possibly this is what makes us this way.

I agree,but I think we need to go above and beyond what is normal for most road users,we are often lumped together with the "other" travelling community that really share nothing in common with us, therefore it's down to us to make that distinction.

I agree,but I think we need to go above and beyond what is normal for most road users,we are often lumped together with the "other" travelling community that really share nothing in common with us, therefore it's down to us to make that distinction.

Could not agree more.

Can I qualify that by stating that some of the poor behaviour is through ignorance, and some through lack of proper facilities.

so we have posts that complain that motorhomers don't park close together in a parking area
and we have posts that complain that motorhomers part too close together in a parking area

can't win either way

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back