If You Suddenly Had to Stop Motoring.?

Pauljenny

Where , out of the places you've visited, would you choose to live... And why.
We got lucky.

I would stay where I am, mainly due to kids and grandkids being here.

I have a boat on the river so would still be able to travel to the countryside, unless they stopped the use of motors on boats. In which case I would have to learn to sail or teach Julie how to row.

Collioure in France for the weather and food and relaxed approach to life . Alternatively Gairloch , loch Carron the idea of self sufficiency and the remoteness appeal to my nature in truth the life harder than I have but there is stifaction and fulfilment involved

Collioure in France for the weather and food and relaxed approach to life . Alternatively Gairloch , loch Carron the idea of self sufficiency and the remoteness appeal to my nature in truth the life harder than I have but there is stifaction and fulfilment involved

I would love to move to Applecross Andrew, and so would my kids.

The problem is that there is not a lot of employment there and getting anywhere else for shopping without a motor would be a pain. It's a long walk over the pass to Loch Carron and that's the short way as you know.

Tesco do actually deliver to Applecross though!

We thought about this for the last 4 years and viewed properties from Dumfries to Durness. We eventually found what we wanted a lovely estate near Dunblane. The Moray Coast was our original choice but after viewing property and researching we’re glad we ended up where we have and wished we could have done it 20 years ago.

New Zealand.
a/ to be nearer our Lou.
b/ it's beautiful
c/ low crime rate
d/ open roads
e/ chilled people
f/ small population
g/ good pubs
h/ can do attitude

Last but not least - I left my heart there.

I always get people asking why I don't choose to live there,the biggest downside to NZ is it's isolation,there's just no other countries nearby if you want to travel. People in the UK don't realize how lucky they are to have such a diversity of countries practically on the doorstep.
I agree with everything on your list (not sure about low crime) but when you spend your whole life there you realise that even all those positives aren't always enough.

Seriously I had this discussion with Sue a couple of days ago and having visited a local hovel it struck me that this was a wonderful place to live out my days, I really do envy you two

Love Scotland there’s a 100 wee places I could name but the older I get and nearer I get to chucking work think I’d like to spend the winters somewhere warmer so of all the places think I would chose Sicily Just something about the place the people food and decent weather.

Bill and I recently looked at moving to the east coast of Yorkshire we did a lot of research into buying a small bungalow somewhere to park the MH but the one thing that stopped us is the medication that I am on for my RA it seems it’s a postcode lottery and I would not be guaranteed that another local NHS would pay the exorbitant price it costs that would most definitely put me back in a wheelchair so we will be staying put purely for that reason. 😔😔

We moved to Westray in Orkney 17 years ago. We've moved around a little during my working life but this is definitely the best move we ever made. I'd have to say there aren't a lot of jobs here but there is work if you want it. I semi-retired from a life in engineering and started a part-time business as a freelance web designer.

It is remote, the weather is pretty awful in winter (more wet and windy, than cold), and we need a 90-minute ferry to Orkney Mainland for "big" shopping, then it's another 90 minute ferry to Scotland Mainland (so it is a tad expensive for touring with the motorhome).

But...

We love the isolation and peace and quiet.
The people are very friendly and welcomed us into the community.
The island is big enough that it has three amazingly well-stocked shops, a school, two hotels/pubs and a doctors, but small enough to be friendly.
Speaking of doctors and Campervanannies comments - our doctors are brilliant (less people to deal with so time to provide proper care) and in truth, if we need it (and Marlene has a few times) we get the air-ambulance far quicker than others get the road ambulance on mainland UK, and of course free prescriptions.
There's pretty much zero crime - few dodgy cars though :rolleyes:

Have I sold it yet?

Gibraltar ,warm and a good bus service.
caption.jpg

Its not an easy one to answer, we would need public transport but that also means in an urban in a area, we will need the nhs so that means the UK

Bill and I recently looked at moving to the east coast of Yorkshire we did a lot of research into buying a small bungalow somewhere to park the MH but the one thing that stopped us is the medication that I am on for my RA it seems it’s a postcode lottery and I would not be guaranteed that another local NHS would pay the exorbitant price it costs that would most definitely put me back in a wheelchair so we will be staying put purely for that reason. 😔😔
My mother retired to Brid, like many other " Wessies ", dreaming of living where she had fond childhood memories.
Alas, so did many others
The holiday paradises from Whitby , Scarborough, Filey and Brid, became geriatric bungalow ghettos. The tourist trade dried up.
Butlins and the hotels closing, brought mass unemployment and an influx of " Care in the community " cases to fill the cheap accommodation that arose.
The climate didn't help .
Soon the NHS and caring services became overwhelmed.
You've probably done the right thing, deciding to stay put....
Breathing that clear, healthy mountain air.. And not being harassed by seagulls.

It's always going to be difficult.

I have very specific needs for the area where I live, and unless these needs are met, then I doubt I would survive. We have looked around before but can never seem to tick all of the boxes and of course I would miss my mates.

My specific requirements are as follows;

- Pub
- Pie shop

I'd stay right where my house is. Not there much just now, but good community. Surprisingly good public transport fof a rural area. Near enough to cities for culture and far enough away to be pleasant.

If only I could change the weather. I have loved living here in Sussex for 45 years. I am close to the airport and ferry ports, and beautiful countryside. 1 hour from London.
If I couldn't use my camper I would probably have to buy a cited caravan to escape to. Would have to be on a bus route.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back