I know it has been done before but it keeps nagging at me.

Motorhome? Campervan? Whatever? It’s a van or a lorry usually with some modification so what’s up with van, that’s what I have.
Going off that I am very happy with the forum name, I am also happy with being a van lifer and/or traveller. I care little for folks who care little for me, they have not yet seen the light.
I used to be wild but age and injury has made me mild but I never mild camp in fact I haven’t camped for years, I could never fit all the amenities I have now in my tent bag or the bike.
I stay off grid as much as you can in a van except when I need a night on a site for long showers, laundry etc if no other options around.
For me it’s a way of life, not a holiday and I don’t care what folks do but leave our forum alone

It is important that whether we are camping or parking, that we respect the place we are occupying. Too many motor home users disregard bylaws and restrictions. I have seen, on many occasions, single motor homes and multiple motor homes parked- not just over night, but for a week or more, where signage states that such use of the land is prohibited. Before we worry about the semantics of whether we are campers or parkers, we should make sure that we comply with local regulations. If we do not self- police, it will not be too long before enforcement limits our activities.

As much as I agree that we should abide by the law, then so should local authorities who put up signs that have no legal standing whatsoever.
Local regulations normally forbid many things that have nothing to do with us, whilst failing to carry out punitive measures for those that transgress these against them. But if any of us either in error or deliberately transgress their reaction is to ban us.

Cymro. Obey them if you wish but many of these signs are illegal and should not be adhered to. You are encouraging the illegality. As Tookey says quite correctly many are not proper signs. Scrawled in blue paint on rough board, I treat them with the disdain they deserve though we really must tread with a light foot. I almost never stop for more then one night and make sure I am not blocking anyone's view when in a domestic situation, parking behind a high hedge or whatever.

Overnighting is the only description I can come up with.
I think there’s a bit of over reacting to the perceived attitude to MotorCampers.
I went been noodling around Scotland in Sept in my Panel van conversion and got nothing but smiles and welcomes.
We know and the locals know, it’s been a very strange year and many tens of thousands of people were restricted to holidaying in the UK.
That won’t happen again.

Overnighting is the only description I can come up with.
I think there’s a bit of over reacting to the perceived attitude to MotorCampers.
I went been noodling around Scotland in Sept in my Panel van conversion and got nothing but smiles and welcomes.
We know and the locals know, it’s been a very strange year and many tens of thousands of people were restricted to holidaying in the UK.
That won’t happen again.
Think it will for many years as top docs say this bug will be here forever and only a antidote will save us.

The general public do not know what we mean.
Off Grid parking is the best I have come up with but I am not happy with that either
I agree with the campervan comment I usually correct them. No it is A Motorhome, not a campervan.
No It is not what people or can or can not handle. It is how they view us, ME.

We once took our folding chairs down to sit by the side of the Rhine and got told off by German motorhomers as that constituted camping in their eyes. and they were afraid the police would clear us all off, Well they are a bit fierce, the German police.

Who is Ral? and who cares what the yanks do, they call buoys booeys (don't have the perception to realise that it comes from the same root as buoyancy) and aluminium alooominum even though the write aluminium some of the time and most other more recently named metals end in ium . Mind you we do it with tantalum, I don't understand why.

Not just words Robmac it is perceptions and they matter.

Harry
This is just snobbery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back