hymer

terry1956

Well I got a Hymer 2.8 B544 from E-bay. Well after being told that the engine was find and low mileage etc. I did have a little drive, and all was, well OK. But the engine was a bit lumpy at tick over and there was a bit of smoke. Anyway it was nice inside and had all the bits and bobs we wanted. So with a reduction in price due to the engine not having a full service history as stated, in fact No History at all.
To cut a long sorry short, On the motorway back home with the wife driving the car behind me, The best speed I could get was 55 MPH, and no more, going up hill the thing almost came to a stand still, and at times I was on the point of returning it,
Anyway on getting back to exmouth, the hymer was booked into the local fiat dealer and I have just had the news that the injectors are shot and will need replacing, Also as the hymer is to big for their ramps they can only do a part service, but can change the cam belt and pullys.
A word to the wise out there, please please check out any motorhome and take for a lot longer run then 4 miles before handing over any money.
terry

Hi Terry,
Have you had the work done on the Heymer yet, and if so hows it running ?
Would love to know more about the MH......cost, age, mpg etc,
and how about posting some pics as well. Would really be of interest to me as I'm looking to buy one.
Cheers
72van.

Last edited:
sorry:eek: just noticed that you only posted the thread today so i'm sure you havn't had work done yet.

Have another check done by another garage. Injectors do not get shot. They can always be reset or adjusted. If you are anywhere near Lancaster go to TB Turbo, they are honest and give a super service and I am from Nottingham!

Sorry, just re-read your post and you are in Exmouth.Lancaster is a long way but how about Poole?

Terry, It sounds as though your jets need cleaning. Instead of spraying out , it is dribbling, hence the black smoke puffing out from the exhaust. I have not the fainest idea about engines. I had the same problem and had it fixed at a garage.

hymer pt 2

hi all, thanks for the interest.Well the local fiat dealer have just has the injectors tested and two have had it, cost for the test 15 pounds for the 4.
Cost of renewing the four £150 pounds, I am having the cam belt and filters done at the same place. So with luck will be done by christmas.
The hymer is a LHD 2000 A glass, it has 39,ooo miles on the clock. I went for the 2.8td due to my 2002 2.4td transit just not having a lot of pull when full of diesel, some water, I never fill the tanks right up when on the move, just some for the WC if needed and a odd cup of tea. Gas, etc. Also I have a scooter I wish to use when parked up.
What can I tell you about the hymer, well it is larger then the transit based motorhome we have, but the transit is metal all the way, while the hymer is not, so does not fill so solid. The overhead bed when we spend the night in it, was large and nice and soft for both myseft at 5foot 11, and my partner, 5 foot 2, and two pug dogs who had to visit each just over 2 foot long but always sleep taking up has much space as they can. The layout of the coach area is good, I have bad knees after a bad para jump, and find the setee just what is needed. The dining area with table etc is ok for meals but the seats are to upright for long periods of time. There are lots of lights, etc. and hanging space, much needed after the transit.
My partner and I go away for months at a time and last year but 35,000 miles on the transit which returned an around 27 mpg, with the dogs, and we know that all motorhomes have their good and bad points, We use free sites most of the time, and the transit was great for just parking out of the way, and no one ever took any notice of it, just orther van with a few more windows, The hymer is a big white thing, and I feel will need a bit more care when picking a place to park etc. It waits over the transit in living space, but maybe not bodywork. fittings inside are very good, the wood used is better and more solid, and the wiring is a lot better.
I can,t put any pics on due to it being at the workshop.
I have had injectors burn out due to people starting the engine without waiting for the cold plugs to kick in, But I feel The faults on this hymer are down to lack of servicing, and not renewing fuel filters etc.
When it gets back I will be fitting two new leisure batterys and the esbspacher water central heater system from the transit.
terry

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back