Hymer control panel.

Topmast

Hi everyone.
The habitation control panel on my elderly Hymer has suddenly stopped working,the main switch that controls lights pump etc is fine but as from yesterday the meter on left hand side has stopped working on both engine/ habitation voltage also both water tanks no longer register .I have enclosed a photo of the unit in the hope somebody may have a suggestion.Thanks in anticipation.

5B6211AD-85B0-4473-BBD4-2FC0BE2969CE.jpeg

Think it may be a fuse feeding the panel,have you a multy meter to test and work your way back from panel to fuse block,all should not pack in at once.

Leccy Gremlins .. You never know where they are going to strike next.

Think it may be a fuse feeding the panel,have you a multy meter to test and work your way back from panel to fuse block,all should not pack in at once.
Thanks for your suggestion that was my first reaction but as power is at the switch for lights etc I had assumed that in turn would have powered the meter.I did remove the panel but no fuses inside so will have to start searching.

Thanks everyone for your input ,have spent time today checking all the fuses I can find but all o.k so back to square one .Any other suggestions would be gladly followed up .

The switches on the panel direct which circuit is connected to the display meter. If you are getting no indication at all then perhaps the likeliest failure is the meter itself? You'll need to check with a multimeter with the panel off. Select battery monitor then check if there is voltage across the meter. If so, you have found your fault. If not, you may need a wiring diagram to find it.

Keith

The switches on the panel direct which circuit is connected to the display meter. If you are getting no indication at all then perhaps the likeliest failure is the meter itself? You'll need to check with a multimeter with the panel off. Select battery monitor then check if there is voltage across the meter. If so, you have found your fault. If not, you may need a wiring diagram to find it.

Keith
Thanks for that , as soon as the weather clears up I will follow up with a multi meter and test if that could be the problem . If not any ideas as to where or if a wiring diagram might still be available?.

Hymer wiring diagrams don't seem to be available. You can get the electroblock diagrams but that doesn't help you with your display unit. There must be 12v feeds from the engine battery as well as from the leisure battery behind that panel (going directly to the rocker switch on the left). I would guess that the feed from the leisure battery also feeds the level sensing electronics. It seems unlikely to me that you have lost both the positive battery feeds as they would be separately fused. Thus, that suggests the fault lies elsewhere. Thinking about it you may have lost the main earth to the panel. Not much you can do apart from probing with your multimeter to rule things out. Good luck!

I don’t have any links or anything but there is a classic Hymer group on Facebook. May be worth asking there?

Well I tried this afternoon but failed,! When the switch is pressed the meter lights up but fails to register any current on either circuit so yes it may be earth related however as it is impossible to see where wire feed comes from as it is all on a printed circuit I will ask on Hymer forum as somebody may have suffered the same problem. Thanks everyone for your input.

Had a similar issue on my 25 year old 564 a few months ago no input showing for water or battery status . Used the van more and it was working fine so I assume it was a sticky contact in the switch I will get some electric contact cleaner and give it a squirt.

Thanks I must admit I didn’t think of switch cleaners will try to locate some I notice Amazon won’t post to Portugal and I may have a job finding some over here but will make inquiries locally.

I'd have thought a local ironmonger type shop ought to carry some sort of magic solvent spray.

You need electrical contact cleaner, it is bound to be available in Portugal.

You are correct of coarse I am sure it is available in the bigger towns but trying to get anything slightly unusual out in the sticks is often quiet difficult. My only option may be 99% alcohol from the pharmacy.

You are correct of coarse I am sure it is available in the bigger towns but trying to get anything slightly unusual out in the sticks is often quiet difficult. My only option may be 99% alcohol from the pharmacy.
Ah come on now @Topmast, you'll never get it fixed if you're going to get blotto!

on the Starline 680, (which has a different control panel) the electroblock has a 1 or 2 amp fuse (I don't recall which) that protects the panel.
This fuse is not protecting the switch loads, just the panel display..
If you can get a schematic of the e-block, it will show you which fuse/terminal protects the panel.
Then you can start to trace the circuit between the e-block and the panel.
You could also put a temp 12v supply directly on the panel to see if the panel supply or operation is affected (or not)
Hymer electrics can be challenging to resolve.

Thanks FringeDweller I am going to town today to try and locate some switch cleaner and will then go back to checking all fuses again and try to follow as much wiring as possible but as you say Hymer electrical is not straight forward.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back