How Brexit will affect your car insurance

I am sure your contribution will be of great value to all those who never go anywhere.
Im retired and use my camper loads. There are so many great places to visit in my own country I don’t feel the need to leave it. I’m sure a lot of folks on this site have more to worry than something that hasn’t even happened yet.

That is correct - while we are members of the EU but when we are not that will not necessarily stay the same - hence the reason for covering all bases. I cannot understand why there is so much negativity in response to the perfectly sensible message of this thread.
I'm not being negative.
Yes of course, while we are members of the EU, and of course not necessarily the the same if/when we leave.
Maybe wrongly, but I get the impression people believe they automatically have, or have had, fully comp the travelling in the EU. That is not necessarily the case.

A really useful summary thank you.
I’m in the process of applying for Irish birth registration followed by an Irish passport. So ... if no deal, I will be able to stay in the EU under current rules.
Now my question is ... will insurance companies restrict the vehicle to 90 days within 180 or will we still be able to buy 365 in the EU as now?

Cale, much is happening on the build up to the big event, RETIREMENT, front boundary wall screeded and new maint free fencing added. Gate opening widened (tight getting arto in) and new maint free gates added. Now the match winner, old grass landing strip now changed to concrete!!

When ensconced over there and if you ever fancy a jolly over with your EU virgin bus, giz a shout (y)
View attachment 73993
Looking well smart. Just moved into our new house at the weekend. Nice cottage with an acre and a half on the Argaty estate just outside Doune. Finally got our dream house.

Attachments

• 97F713BC-8A97-4DFF-AF84-4B46DE8BC759.jpeg
    97F713BC-8A97-4DFF-AF84-4B46DE8BC759.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Im retired and use my camper loads. There are so many great places to visit in my own country I don’t feel the need to leave it. I’m sure a lot of folks on this site have more to worry than something that hasn’t even happened yet.

Those of us who do visit the EU would be very unwise to follow your advice since that "something that hasn't even happened yet" could happen in two weeks time. Anyone planning to be in the EU at that time would be very foolish if they hadn't looked into all the possibilities and planned accordingly. But one thing puzzles me - if you have no interest in this subject, why have you commented on it?

Those of us who do visit the EU would be very unwise to follow your advice since that "something that hasn't even happened yet" could happen in two weeks time. Anyone planning to be in the EU at that time would be very foolish if they hadn't looked into all the possibilities and planned accordingly. But one thing puzzles me - if you have no interest in this subject, why have you commented on it?
Because I’m entitled to my opinion?

Fair posh mate (I did a google) certainly looks the park and move in condition, apart from grass cutting, and I know roughly where you are. You still have other place up from Tindrum?

Must be the season for buying, our offer on a semi was accepted, get get keys 27th next month. Boxes getting ticked as the finish line looms!!
Our house in Bonnyrigg sold in two weeks. Still got the cottage at Auch near tyndrum but that’s just rented off the estate with a few other mates. Fair bit of work to do up here but it’s perfect for us. You sold Dalkeith and have you purchased in France?

Because I’m entitled to my opinion?

I'm entitled to my opinion that I don't like spinach but it would be very odd if I posted it on a thread about house prices. For you as a non-EU traveller to say you don't give a £$%^ about something that may have a major effect on those who do is odd at least - unless you are deliberately trying to provoke.

I'm entitled to my opinion that I don't like spinach but it would be very odd if I posted it on a thread about house prices. For you as a non-EU traveller to say you don't give a £$%^ about something that may have a major effect on those who do is odd at least - unless you are deliberately trying to provoke.
Take from it what you like. But I don’t give a feck about brexit. My life will still go on regardless. Life’s to short.

its all rather reminiscent of the year 2000 crisis. all the experts in the media spent months telling us everything with a computer would cease at the new year..everything from planes falling out the sky to the water and leccy going off .. what happened ,,, absolutely nothing

theres a lot of grossly overpaid ignoramuses in the media trying to make up headlines either to sell papers or as clickbait or to further their own career or political aims, but theres a vast number of very competent people working to ensure that their own bit of society works smoothly whatever the idiots in parliament and whitehall concoct.

There will be now green ins card required for me to drive into S/Ireland or vice versa according to republics rds minister as there is nothing in law to say so even though england says we have to,all bullsh-t.
Anyway i am sure if any of you run out of butter etc i have room in my van to smuggle a few odds and ends over to you. ;)

its all rather reminiscent of the year 2000 crisis. all the experts in the media spent months telling us everything with a computer would cease at the new year..everything from planes falling out the sky to the water and leccy going off .. what happened ,,, absolutely nothing

theres a lot of grossly overpaid ignoramuses in the media trying to make up headlines either to sell papers or as clickbait or to further their own career or political aims, but theres a vast number of very competent people working to ensure that their own bit of society works smoothly whatever the idiots in parliament and whitehall concoct.

Not quite the same as one of the reasons the Y2K thing didnt end in disaster is thousands of people like me worked on preventing it being one for years before the event. Some of it was perhaps exaggerated by the media but it was a real issue that could have effected all sorts from simple databases to planes. We relied on experts to quietly get on with it. Who are the experts doing the planning now? Johnson? Gove? Be afraid, be very afraid! :ROFLMAO:

Im retired and use my camper loads. There are so many great places to visit in my own country I don’t feel the need to leave it.
I'm also retired, have been for twenty years & spend more time in the camper than I do at home.
I agree with what you say about this country BUT the main thing that puts me off is the crap weather.
That, and the attitude to motorhomes from most councils.

We opted to tour UK (Scotland) in August for our annual two weeks away, and found loads of places to overnight, spending just two nights in a campsite.
Previous years we have always gone abroad. After Brexit, we will still tour abroad and UK, so no different than before, but a little more paperwork to be done. This country has a lot to offer and we have barely scratched the surface. :)

Lots of people manage it. You can buy insurance there. Not all insurance companies will issue a Green Card for Morocco.

I’m fully aware of that but mark61 was suggesting that it was not needed.
I’m also fully aware that a Green Card can be purchased in Morocco, and, some say, not worth the paper it is written on.
Last year my insurance co. sent me a Green Card by email but my printer was not functioning properly & the copy came out grey, not green.
Juan Carlos saw it & said it would not do, he then took the email & printed it out the right colour.
Obviously, a Green Card is important for Morocco!

I wasn't suggesting it's not needed. I'd recommend having one. I said I'd not been asked to show it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back