How Brexit will affect your car insurance

harrow

Link, https://u-k-insurance.co.uk/eugreencard.html

How Brexit will affect your car insurance

Who we are
U K Insurance Limited (UKI) was established in 1974 and is an insurer that underwrites policies for many well-known brands. It provides cover for motor, breakdown, home, pet and travel products.
U K Insurance Business Solutions Limited (UKIBS) is a company in the same group that introduces customers to UKI brands for insurance and other products and services.
Introduction
You won’t need a Green Card for any trip that ends with your return to the UK before 11pm on 31st October 2019, as this is the first date a no deal Brexit could occur.
If a Brexit deal is agreed then there will be no change to today’s position and you will be able to move around Europe in the same way as you can today, although you should still contact us to make sure you have the right cover for you (other than for journeys to the Republic of Ireland, where you are covered as standard). You would not then need a Green Card.
If the UK does leave the EU with no deal then whilst this doesn’t change the cover provided by our insurance policies, there is some important information you will need if you’re planning on driving any UK-registered vehicle in the European Economic Area (EEA) and some other countries (Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland). A list of EEA countries is available here.
U K Insurance Logo

I'm not declaring if I'm for or against Brexit.
However, I can honestly see the sh** hitting the fan on 1st November if there is a 'No Deal'.

As much as the officials will be briefed on how to deal with UK travellers, I'm sure there will be a few wanting to make a point and it causing a huge headache for any one caught up in this fiasco. I went to Europe just after the last 'deadline' (around April if I rememeber?) and the confusion around needing a green card for insurance, do I need an international driving permit, is my passport valid etc. Now it's looking like it WILL happen, deal or no deal. At least if our lot (Wildcampers) are in motorhomes then you'll have a place to sleep while the border controls argue about your rights to travel or not.
Glad I'm not going away for the Autumn Half term.

I'm not declaring if I'm for or against Brexit.
However, I can honestly see the sh** hitting the fan on 1st November if there is a 'No Deal'.

As much as the officials will be briefed on how to deal with UK travellers, I'm sure there will be a few wanting to make a point and it causing a huge headache for any one caught up in this fiasco. I went to Europe just after the last 'deadline' (around April if I rememeber?) and the confusion around needing a green card for insurance, do I need an international driving permit, is my passport valid etc. Now it's looking like it WILL happen, deal or no deal. At least if our lot (Wildcampers) are in motorhomes then you'll have a place to sleep while the border controls argue about your rights to travel or not.
Glad I'm not going away for the Autumn Half term.

I agree - the potential for confusion is enormous, which is why we took the precaution, before we left on October 1st, to ensure that we had both IDPs (for France and Spain) and a Green Card. The IDPs cost around a fiver each and the Green Card is free, so even if not necessary you haven't wasted much money and may save yourself an awful lot of hassle. Now all we have to do (apart from enjoy the trip) is to wait to see if we crash out on 31st and thus need to be back in the UK within 3 months!

im an eternal optimist
theres been 3 programmes recently on the box about what britain buys and sells in a day. one was fresh veg and fruit , one was seafood and last nights was cars.
2 bits from last night , one in ten Ferraris comes to uk, uk is vw's biggest export market.... it all boils down to theres a lot of european companies that rely on unhindered access to the uk market both for sales and purchases. they dont want a jobsworth at calais any more than we do. the other point that has become clear is that the calais ferries' traffic is literally a drop in the ocean compared to other ports such as the thames side container ports and southhampton

im an eternal optimist
theres been 3 programmes recently on the box about what britain buys and sells in a day. one was fresh veg and fruit , one was seafood and last nights was cars.
2 bits from last night , one in ten Ferraris comes to uk, uk is vw's biggest export market.... it all boils down to theres a lot of european companies that rely on unhindered access to the uk market both for sales and purchases. they dont want a jobsworth at calais any more than we do. the other point that has become clear is that the calais ferries' traffic is literally a drop in the ocean compared to other ports such as the thames side container ports and southhampton

Well said that man, most especially your comment about jobsworths!!

I for one, or rather SWMBO and I are both fed up to the back teeth with all the medias totally negative clap-trap!!

Being optimistic doesnt change the fact that if we leave without a deal on the 1 November the UK becomes a third country and all the stuff being discussed as well as the chaos comes into force. The Germans might sell us a lot of cars but so what? The protection of the single market comes above all else and whilst that might be damaging for German car manufacturers thems the rules and thats all there is to it.

Regarding this Green card. One question I cant find is how long its valid for. I presume a year but it would be good to know its not something daft like 30 days. Trips to Europe will be limited to 90 days in any 180 anyway because of Schengen so you would assume your card would be valid for at least 90 days but assumption being the mother of all fcuk ups an all that.

Yes we were asked when we wanted our Green card to expire so I went with renewal date in June sometime. Still no charge other than £15 admin fee which would have applied for shorter term anyway

My insurance always send a Green card for the dates I say I will be away, which I always allow plenty of extra time. I tell insurance company when going away because you can not assume you'll be fully comp when away. No idea why they send a Green card as that's only proof of minimum required insurance as far as I know, but thats what they do.

I absolutely agree that in the long run, we as a nation are relied on too much by the other countries in Europe for trade that something will be sorted long term. I do feel though that some will take advantage of the confusion to hit the man (ooopss I mean person!!) in the street, calle, rue or even Straße and bet we hear of loads being pulled to check they have the correct documents etc. in the first few weeks of November.

I've only ever had a Green card for Morocco, never been asked for one in the EU.

I don’t have to man up because I don’t give a feck. My camper never leaves Bonnie Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Never been asked to show one to get into Morocco either.
Like I said, when I have asked for proof of fully comp insurance cover in EU, I'm always issued a Green Card.
As far as I understand, the only requirement is for your insurance to cover you for the legal minimum of the EU country you are in.

Never been asked to show one to get into Morocco either.
Like I said, when I have asked for proof of fully comp insurance cover in EU, I'm always issued a Green Card.
As far as I understand, the only requirement is for your insurance to cover you for the legal minimum of the EU country you are in.

That is correct - while we are members of the EU but when we are not that will not necessarily stay the same - hence the reason for covering all bases. I cannot understand why there is so much negativity in response to the perfectly sensible message of this thread.

I don’t have to man up because I don’t give a feck. My camper never leaves Bonnie Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

You might if after Brexit nobody leaves the UK in their camper vans as its too much hassle and they all head for Scotland when Skegness is full :D

Actually there is some truth in that. A lot of hoteliers and tourist industry in general voted to leave I gather in the hope it would boost tourism. i often see posts from motorhomers saying they cant get pitches on sites, cant get parked in towns etc. Could get busy. I wonder what the snow birds will do that head off this time of year to Spain. They will have to come back mid winter.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back