Hot water bottle

thsnks alf, i will give this a try........dial on boiler was set at probaby below half way.........was afraid to turn it as i wasnt sure of how it all worked and didnt want to upset the balance of everything. although when i do use CH the radators heat up nicely.........apart fro the bathroom...which probably wants bleeding buts thats no problem.............
its just that the boiler doesnt want to shut off too often.............hence meter is just wizzing around.....
we are expecting a cold cold cold spell this weekend....so a good time to try it out as i will put CH on then and see what happens......

As you don't have a room stat I would advise that unless the house takes too long to warm up, or doesn't get warm enough, you leave the boiler stat turned low, as turning it up will mean the uncontrolled rad will get hotter than needed.

As you don't have a room stat I would advise that unless the house takes too long to warm up, or doesn't get warm enough, you leave the boiler stat turned low, as turning it up will mean the uncontrolled rad will get hotter than needed.
You can buy a remote stat and have the receiver wire direct to boiler,so with the remote stat set to around 21 it will switch boiler of saving you money,oil or gas.
program stat.png

The Kitchen rad that has no TRV can-be controlled roughly by turning the valve on the hot side closed and then opening a quarter turn leave there a few days if you want it warmer try opening a quarter turn per day until satisfied this may be enough to get your boiler to cycle better if the boiler does not turn off and cycle it may pay to see if the gas board will give you a free MOT.

Alf

hmmmm trying to get me head around this trev,,,,,,big dial set to 70/75............dont have any big dial on boiler with numbers on it.
black button......85c. again no black button or numbers.
this is not meant to be temp stat for house.........ah now then, thats probably goes with what other posts were saying.Hmm
oh i do wish this would automaticaaly post many times......can someone sort it please. thanks

You always turn the cold end down to balance all the reads around the home,only a stat will stop boiler cycling

thanks colin...........as kitchen is very cold,,,,,2 outside walls and 2 large windows......thta is the coldest room in house.......brrrrrrr........so i dont think it will ever get too hot in there.......when i do use CH its usually switched on for a couple of hours in morning and 2/3//4 hours late afternoon evening..........on days whe it is mighty cold outside.hoe
if boiler stat gets turned higher........leaving rad stats as they are....does that mean more gas higher bills.

Thanks ALF ...had boiler serviced a few weeks ago...........however...didnt get chance to to ask him questions.........
often thought radiators could be the wrong size for the rooms........willhave to look into that..........

thanks trev.....i shall remember that......balancing rads....have to look into that also...as i havent a clue on how to balance them......very much like the idea of underfloor insulation...........also can never understand why they put hot water pipes under the floorboards ...apart from cosmetic reasons........

thanks gents...all this info is very much appreciated im beginning to understand it a bit now.

Last edited:
thanks colin...........as kitchen is very cold,,,,,2 outside walls and 2 large windows......thta is the coldest room in house.......brrrrrrr........so i dont think it will ever get too hot in there.......when i do use CH its usually switched on for a couple of hours in morning and 2/3//4 hours late afternoon evening..........on days whe it is mighty cold outside.hoe
if boiler stat gets turned higher........leaving rad stats as they are....does that mean more gas higher bills.

Thanks ALF ...had boiler serviced a few weeks ago...........however...didnt get chance to to ask him questions.........
often thought radiators could be the wrong size for the rooms........willhave to look into that..........

thanks trev.....i shall remember that......balancing rads....have to look into that also...as i havent a clue on how to balance them......very much like the idea of underfloor insulation...........also can never understand why they put hot water pipes under the floorboards ...apart from cosmetic reasons........

thanks gents...all this info is very much appreciated im beginning to understand it a bit now.
Putting more heat into system as in turning up the boiler stat will use more gas but only because the kitchen rad will be hotter, if you want more heat in that room no problems. Because you have TRVs you shouldn't need to balance rads unless they are way over/under sized for the room.

Always best to have rads 10 to 20% over size for a fast warm up which in turn will mean stat will switch boiler down faster again saving money,its all down to science and a good balance,all rads must have the outlet ballenced or the ones furthest away may not get warm because the first rad will loop heat to return line,nearly all homes i have had a look at because of this and sorted,normal is start with a 1/4 turn open working up to get all hot,you can only do this when on first fire so you have to be quick running round the house to get them all correct .
A house i rend had a twiddler whom had me down ever other week because he just could not leave rads alone,so in end i glued lock shields on and covered programmer with a metal box with a lock then fitted room stats with a locking cover to stop him fu-king around with them,some folk just cannot leave things alone,mother inlaws like that and its always someone elses fault it dont work.

If any of the rooms are not used much turn the TRV down to say number 2 this should give more heat out to the others particularly the kitchen one.

Alf

If any of the rooms are not used much turn the TRV down to say number 2 this should give more heat out to the others particularly the kitchen one.

Alf
It will alf but think of this,heat will be lost when a door is opened and also loss through walls,problem is they are stuck without a stat,but as you say they will have to try short cuts. (y)

Have you all the controls fitted correctly,ie stat in living room and one on water tank,you should have either a 3 port valve or two singles plus a wall programmer,i find the centurus c27 to be the easyest one to use.
Most now fit condenser boilers but in fact they are only 8% more eff and you will never get the price back as they have a short life span unless you buy a bosch woster at over 2 grand,and even it would have to last 25 years,el cheapos only last about 7 years at best.

I have a very cold house without heating on. I've learnt that in the winter leaving the heating on a low heat at night and during the day and only generally turning up at night whilst sitting around has made the Bill's more stable. I'm finding the new Bosch condenser giving the warmest house I've had for years. The last Bosch lasted 21years but with many problems in the last year

I have a very cold house without heating on. I've learnt that in the winter leaving the heating on a low heat at night and during the day and only generally turning up at night whilst sitting around has made the Bill's more stable. I'm finding the new Bosch condenser giving the warmest house I've had for years. The last Bosch lasted 21years but with many problems in the last year
If you set the stat to 21 but put a time in you programmer of say start heating at 6am and of at 9pm evening will work,once the house is up to temp and i mean the bricks and morter which will take about 3 days to get ,then the heating will settle down ,i burn about 2200 ltrs a year on average.
Wifes folks were doing as you and tuning heat on for a hr in morning and evening,it used the same out trying to get house up to temp,bit like racing a car for short distance rather than a long cruse ,in the end they got sick with flued on the lungs due to trying skimp and for what,esp when they have the money.

As I think I might have posted before, it's all about insulation, we have a old 18th C house with poor insulation, that has a multi fuel stove going 24/7 which is 'turned' up in evening, that works well. But also a 4 bed bungalow which is heavily insulated, that has a oil combi boiler which only turns on a couple of times a day, but keeps the place nice and warm and only uses 1000 lire of oil a year. The house we rent out has an old Baxi gas boiler and good insulation, that also is pretty economic now it's been fitted with a room stat.

Yep i keep telling folk without stats and valves or combi you are running it like a van with the foot locked down,a steady cruse works better,1000 ltrs is brill ,i live in the second coldest place in ireland thats why even with insulation i burn 2000 a year,my second home in a terrace burns about 1000 ltrs a year.

Last edited:
Yep i keep telling folk without states and valves or combi you are running it like a van with the foot locked down,a steady cruse works better,1000 ltrs is brill ,i live in the second coldest place in ireland thats why even with insulation i burn 2000 a year,my second home in a terrace burns about 1000 ltrs a year.

The winter temperatures where I live are around same as in Katesbridge, although we've only ever got down to -16c that I can remember. ;)

The winter temperatures where I live are around same as in Katesbridge, although we've only ever got down to -16c that I can remember. ;)
That was the coldest we recorded here,but the wind tunnel effect between Carnmoney and cave hill is the worst ever,have to be well strapped down here at times. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back