Horse and hound Bonchester Bridge

Scotia

Just back from a weekend away @ the horse and hound https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/s/i2ZWN
We set off Friday afternoon with the Intention of stopping of at the horse and hound for a meal then head to Hexham for a another night. Free pitch in the pub carpark nice and quiet £3 if you want EHU.
David and Dawn could not have been more helpful, they have just finished a self build after running American RV motorhomes for a few years.
We arrived earlier than expected so had a few , several well maybe a gallon of Timothy Taylor £3.50 which was a well looked after beer as it poured very well. Meal was great and reasonably priced all satisfied: starter and main with a drink x 3 = £53.
Headed off for an early night as Christina wanted to get a walk along Hadrian's wall before the start of the rugby on Saturday. Just got into the van when the rain started then the wind got up ( not caused by the beer ) van was rocking all night for the wrong reasons.
No let up in the wind in the morning as it was still blowing a hoolie and forecast for the remainder of the day. We decided it would be better staying put and catch the rugby there, had a word with Dawn who was more than happy for us to hunker down for another night and hearing Christina and Niamh only got a few hours kip suggested we shelter directly behind the bar and asked the staff to move their cars so we could manoeuvre our 30ft van in, couldn't have asked for more.
Bar was set out for the Rugby viewing, started on Guinness which was another well looked after pint £3.70 free pies at half time (Scottish game) great craic with the locals will definitely be back.

Last edited:
Many years ago we went to my niece’s wedding reception in the Horse and Hound. It was excellent but what amused me was that she was marrying a sheep farmer and he selected that pub because they held sheep shearing competitions in the backyard! I wonder if they still do.

Can't comment on that one, the locals that we spoke to were full of praise for David and Dawn for what they have done to the place and turning it around to what it is now. All fresh decor and a friendly atmosphere, lots of guitars and a fiddle hanging on the walls so may have open Mike sessions.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back