Hi there from Shropshire

Only The Journey

Well, like so many of us, my holidays overseas have been curtailed due to this dreaded virus.
I had it all mapped out . .
I would continue to holiday in the USA travelling for about a month or so at a time in a rented car, just driving as I pleased from one place to the next and arriving at my departure airport several thousand miles away just in time for a flight home. The American dream of freedom i guess.
I would do this until I was too old or decrepit to endure the long flights, or too senile to manage the logistics of such a trip. I imagined that I'd be into my 70's by then.
At this time I would buy a camper and travel around Europe to continue my lust for new vistas and long journeys, until I popped my clogs somewhere in a warm sun kissed beauty spot probably in Southern Italy.
Due to Covid, I've changed my plans. There's little chance of travel to the US safely. No desire to sit on an aircraft carrying 300 potential infections. And massive uncertainty about even an all inclusive holiday to Egypt.
There was only one obvious course of action. Buy a Mercedes Sprinter and do a self conversion to keep my wanderlust satisfied!
And so, here we are . .
So far, I've taken out the bulkhead, and installed a fixed double bed at the rear.
That's enough for now. So grab a gas bottle, a Camping Gaz 2 ring burner, and a Porta Potti and let's go!
I'm having a BIG birthday on Saturday 19th and will be parked somewhere gorgeous to celebrate.
Thanks to all for the excellent location app which I shall be using on my travels for the coming week or so.
Happy days!

Welcome & Happy Birthday from me too.

I see you are from Shropshire.....Lovely County, my forbears originated from there in the 1700s, farming up on the Kerry Ridgeway.

Hi and welcome I love a good read when someone puts a bit of effort into their introduction post good luck with the touring. 👍

Hi welcome along from scotland. Enjoy your adventures 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (y)

Hello and welcome from another Sprinter nut. Good idea with the fixed bed, no faffing around. :)

Hi, welcome 👋 👋
Sounds like you've got your priorities right........a comfy bed , something to cook on and a loo.

Hello and welcome,

The van I did most miles in was a one day conversion, glad to hear that spirit is still going strong. Happy birthday for the weekend and lots of happy miles too!

Thank you guys for the welcoming messages and the birthday greetings! I will report my first experience when I get back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back