Help with Motorhome

Toffeecat

Well the only good thing I guess from lockdown is I'm not spending much other than beer tokens at the corner shop. So after a long discussion with the missus I need a few jobs to get the motorhome ready for longer adventures. The missus says I'm tight (with the money!) but I'm not, I'm careful. I'm mulling over a diesel heater, a second battery and more solar. Its also going to get weighed but its got a really decent weight for all the extras so if its ok ill get the jobs done. I'm really busy at work and my heads battered by Fridays and just cant face doing anything so wondered if anyone knows a decent place I can get the work done? The fella I tried in Shildon is a top bloke but very busy and if he cant do the jobs wonder if anyone knows anyone else oop north who can sort it. I could do the jobs myself but honestly the heeds done in by Friday and all I want to do is watch telly, drink beer and go off taking photos. Ill ask John again tomorrow but I need a back up just in case.

I suspect that there are a lot of people doing self builds at the moment. Some looking at investment for the huge demand for motorhomes and some to use them for the predicted staycations which has caused the huge demand.

A lot (like me) will find they have bitten off more than they can chew and turn to professionals to help them finish the job and I would imagine that is what is causing a shortage of skilled fitters - that and the annual pre-Spring demand of course. I know a few people around here now who can't get jobs done for love nor money on caravans.

Sorry that doesn't help, but if you are capable it may well be a case of just making the time and doing it.

(By the way, I'm the worlds worst for putting jobs off, I've got stuff to do to my van that has been waiting years - it's stuff we can get by without so we do).

Really depends where "opp north" is.
YOUR "opp north" could well be MY "darn Sarf"
It probably is but I can't think of another person who could do most of his jobs with the expertise and attitude of you, so why does it matter how far apart you are if you plan it within the restrictions

I have never found a decent mobile technician between Newcastle and Durham. All the Dealers have had bad reports at some time or another. Avoid Tyne Valley Motorhomes (from personal experience) and Marquis (in Birtley) have a bad reputation all over the country. DIY is what I do.

99% here are cowboys and dealers who just want to whisk you round to the showroom to empty your pockets if you fall for their silver tongue spouting crap.

It is hard to get motivated to do stuff to your van this time of year when it is freezing outside, especially when right now you don't know when you will enjoy the fruits of your labour. I'm waiting for warmer weather to fit both air assist suspension and the PV Panels. Neither job is so urgent they can't wait until thermals are no longer required :)

It is hard to get motivated to do stuff to your van this time of year when it is freezing outside, especially when right now you don't know when you will enjoy the fruits of your labour. I'm waiting for warmer weather to fit both air assist suspension and the PV Panels. Neither job is so urgent they can't wait until thermals are no longer required :)

Thanks for that.

I'm always looking for excuses for a bit or procrastination!

Well the only good thing I guess from lockdown is I'm not spending much other than beer tokens at the corner shop. So after a long discussion with the missus I need a few jobs to get the motorhome ready for longer adventures. The missus says I'm tight (with the money!) but I'm not, I'm careful. I'm mulling over a diesel heater, a second battery and more solar. Its also going to get weighed but its got a really decent weight for all the extras so if its ok ill get the jobs done. I'm really busy at work and my heads battered by Fridays and just cant face doing anything so wondered if anyone knows a decent place I can get the work done? The fella I tried in Shildon is a top bloke but very busy and if he cant do the jobs wonder if anyone knows anyone else oop north who can sort it. I could do the jobs myself but honestly the heeds done in by Friday and all I want to do is watch telly, drink beer and go off taking photos. Ill ask John again tomorrow but I need a back up just in case.
@Toffeecat What about https://www.kimberleycaravans.co.uk/caravan-servicing never used them big dealership so may be expensive. But close to Shildon or https://www.prgleisure.co.uk/ Darlington based.
May be worth a call?

If its any consolation, I wouldn’t go anywhere else other than John Boy in Shildon. Have known him for years - the only place I have walked away from and said to the missus that I haven’t been ripped off. I would wait until he could do the job rather than try somewhere else.

The OP mentioned Shildon which is in Co Durham so I presume around there?
Surprised Marie’s not been offering her help, she’s up that way.
Sorry, just re read the request. The OP wants help with the a camper, not a garden. It’s early.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back