Heating ready meals

PeterW

I would like to get a VW campervan but they all seem to come with two-ring burners and a grill. As I am a solo traveller I would like to use simple ready meals from the supermarket but heating these up without a microwave or oven is tricky. Any advice?

I would like to get a VW campervan but they all seem to come with two-ring burners and a grill. As I am a solo traveller I would like to use simple ready meals from the supermarket but heating these up without a microwave or oven is tricky. Any advice?

Select meals you can heat in a pot . Lots of choice . May have to add a wee bit water , use lid , .make sure heated through correctly .
There are an awful lot of one pot meals you can make from scratch . Somebody like Jamie Oliver is bound to have a book on the subject or google it

Boil in the bag meals can be very useful (A tasty selection available from Waitrose - in the "Look what we found" range IRRC - and also have minimal cleanup as well).

What I sometimes do when making dinner at home in the slow cooker is make a larger amount and put extra portions into a vacuum seal bag and then directly heat that up in the bag in a saucepan of water. End of meal just a plate and a fork to wash (and if you use disposable ones, NO wash up :D )

Handy little book (I have this)

Good Food: One-pot Dishes: Triple-tested Recipes: Tried-and-tested Recipes (Good Food 101): Amazon.co.uk: Jeni Wright: 9780563522911: Books
51IvnYLtt7L._SX437_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Have you considered if the fridge/freezer has capacity for an amount of ready meals as well as milk etc?
You may find it better to cook a meal, Potato's/rice/pasta can be stored in a cupboard, vegetables can be a mix of storage in cupboard, fridge, or tinned, this just leaves meat for storage in the fridge.

we have many a microwave ready meal when out in the van........just empty it all into a large base pan......we use fry pan...although we dont fry it.........cover it with lid or plate....ensure its well and truely HOT....cooking it slowly........sorted.........very quick and easy.......im still here to tell the tale.........we only have two rings...no oven......

I have this from go outdoors which runs on small gas canister,were on offer last mth for £99

Attachments

• oven.png
    oven.png
    266.8 KB · Views: 187
I love just throwing gear in a pan and making a pot meal.
Hotpot, stew , etc are the obvious, but then
Have some diced chicken breast, or pork /beef etc then just add potatoes, veggies to your hearts content, some seasoning ( I put lea and perrins in almost EVERYTHING) , you can knock up some well tasty meals far cheaper then the ready meals and fresh too. Then I just eat put of the pan, and mop up with a piece of bread if I want to save on the washing up.

My quick n easy from stuff I always make sure is in my cupboard, is a tin of stewed steak in a pan followed by a small tin of new pots and sweetcorn, heat through, and add me lea and perrins....luvvveeeerly and easy.

The problem with ready meals is that they are mostly made of chemical crap.
You would be well advised to get into the habit of cooking simple meals from natural ingredients.
That way, not only would you eat a tastier, cheaper and healthier diet, but you'd avoid the hassle of keeping the meals chilled beforehand, and the hassles of getting rid of all the single-use plastic waste they are wrapped in.
But if you must buy plastic-wrapped chemicals instead of food, try using a skillet to heat them. It takes a bit longer, but it should work OK.

Rare I 100 % agree with you ,but on this occasion I think you are spot on,

Microwaves have their place ( a reluctant one) and ready meals are so full of salt, anti oxidents and preservatives. They make a poor alternative to cooking from fresh

I have a Coleman petrol stove the heat ferocious owned last 30 years, for tasty stir fries, or fried food like scampi a wok with oil it is excellent. given a choice between a microwave and my old stove no contest the stove every time

Channa

I would live on stir-fry cooked in the wok with different proteins:seafood , meat halloumi nuts or just plain veg. But in the interests of variety ( and Dave gets bored!) I plan to use my double skillet and do one pot meals.

I would live on stir-fry cooked in the wok with different proteins:seafood , meat halloumi nuts or just plain veg. But in the interests of variety ( and Dave gets bored!) I plan to use my double skillet and do one pot meals.

A big fan of the double skillet ... sadly I ruined my last one when I burnt the dinner ��
I do a good curry though using a 'Mayflower' curry powder, it's cheap easy and powder last for ages oh and best of all low on the calories ..

A big fan of the double skillet ... sadly I ruined my last one when I burnt the dinner ��
I do a good curry though using a 'Mayflower' curry powder, it's cheap easy and powder last for ages oh and best of all low on the calories ..

Recipe?? Where can one get mayflower curry powder? I always avoid very strong smelling food...worried about having to live with the smell for more than mealtime! With our new van we have a big fan so that should be less of an issue.

I guess I am really lucky living in Dewsbury my local Asian supermarket sells all sorts some of which I haven't a clue what it is

The best spices in my opinion are Rajah brand and you should find them in larger supermarkets East End is another brand but not as good IMHO

the basic masala ( spice mix is what it means it isn't a dish per se) is normally white onion garlic / ginger which can be bought in a paste and keeps in the fridge

Half a dessert spoon of coriander and the same of cumin half teaspoon of chilli powder after that fenugrrek( kasoori methi) turmeric ( haldi) is added dependent upon the recipe etc

pre mixed masalas in Kashmir cooking tends to be Bassar and one or two of the madras types ....I can get them locally if you are a fan drop a pm and happy to post you various masalas

re stanching the van cumin (jeera) fenugreek tend to be main culprits so better cooked outside and tease neighbours

balti1.jpg made from scratch and really quick to do

Channa

Ps put the Asian names in brackets if you find yourself in a deli somewhere

I guess I am really lucky living in Dewsbury my local Asian supermarket sells all sorts some of which I haven't a clue what it is

The best spices in my opinion are Rajah brand and you should find them in larger supermarkets East End is another brand but not as good IMHO

the basic masala ( spice mix is what it means it isn't a dish per se) is normally white onion garlic / ginger which can be bought in a paste and keeps in the fridge

Half a dessert spoon of coriander and the same of cumin half teaspoon of chilli powder after that fenugrrek( kasoori methi) turmeric ( haldi) is added dependent upon the recipe etc

pre mixed masalas in Kashmir cooking tends to be Bassar and one or two of the madras types ....I can get them locally if you are a fan drop a pm and happy to post you various masalas

re stanching the van cumin (jeera) fenugreek tend to be main culprits so better cooked outside and tease neighbours

View attachment 70089 made from scratch and really quick to do

Channa

Ps put the Asian names in brackets if you find yourself in a deli somewhere

Channa I wish I had your skill and enjoyment of cooking from scratch ..and what flavours go with what
I try to follow a recipe and then I get bored of reading it so I make it up as I go along
And then it ends up be a pile of crap on a plate
You asked me to bake a cake and I swear I wouldn't even know where to start .... it's such a shame no wonder my hubby is so gaunt and thin 😜

Ruth mayflower curry you can buy in B&M £1.00 ... it's really nice and you can get at least five or six currys out of it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back