Have your say Sheffield LEZ

Fazerloz

Are councils just jumping on the band wagon now to put their hands in your pocket. The answer to everything these days seems to be charge or fine.

I would have thought the whacking great motorway that runs through Sheffield might be some of the problem. Let's hope they don't try and charge for that!

If you look at the map, the charging zone is a tiny area that you'd not take a motorhome into anyway.

However, it may be that the scheme will be "such a success" that the zone will expand.

If you look at the map, the charging zone is a tiny area that you'd not take a motorhome into anyway.

However, it may be that the scheme will be "such a success" that the zone will expand.
By "success" do they mean it will cut pollution or they will make lots of money? No doubt the claim will be cleaner air but what they really mean is they are successfully getting away with robbery.

By "success" do they mean it will cut pollution or they will make lots of money? No doubt the claim will be cleaner air but what they really mean is they are successfully getting away with robbery.
It’s ok, paying for all the clean air zones will generate enough funds to maintain the roads. Then we won’t have to pay road fund tax to drive on them. ;)

Nitrogen oxide, other gases, and much of the particulate matter that comes from diesels are extremely harmful to people living and working in city centres. This to some extent has nothing to do with the global warming issue, this has much more to do with the dangerous pollution levels in most of our cities. I have nothing against LEZ zones but I am against the way some are set up. Take my nearest large city Glasgow. Glasgow has five motorways going through it’s centre. The M8,M80,M73,M74 and the M77. The vast bulk of the traffic going through Glasgow do so on these motorways. For me making Glasgow a LEZ would have a limited affect, and the area involved would be very small. But at some point Glasgow will become a LEZ. Now let’s look at Edinburgh, there are no motorways going through the capital, Edinburgh has the worse traffic problems in the U.K. outside of London. So Edinburgh would be a candidate for a LEZ. Sadly as with car parking I reckon these LEZs will become cash cows for cash strapped local councils, and the main reason for forming them will have been lost.

If it’s all about cash, it can easily be cured by cutting waste. Run your own business, where you design and manufacture your own products, then try and sell to customers that often can’t tell the difference between a good and bad product. Greed and ignorance corrupts everything. The best people to be politicians, would not want to do it.

You all know what’s coming, don’t give gifts that are no use to the recipient. If it’s for someone you care about, spend time with them and show you care.

I’ve replied, suggesting among other things Aires at park and ride carparks outside the zone. Sheffield has included it’s ring road in the zone which could give problems with E-W traffic that currently mostly uses the ring and has few alternatives.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back