Haircuts!

mariesnowgoose

Recent events have got me thinking.

My old banger broke down on the way to the hairdressers last week.

I don't have anything fancy done, just a quick bit of cheap sheep shearing to stop it getting in my eyes and irritating me - which it's doing now as I never got there!

How does everyone go about hair cutting when you're out on the road?
The blokes probably don't have so much of a problem with this one - partners cut with those trimming/shaving devices or they do it themselves? Or a trip to the nearest hairdresser for a short back & sides? If it's long I guess a pony tail does the job, or not...? ;)

I'm very lucky in that I have wash'n'go type hair, sort of curly and does it's own thing (a godsend for van life!)

I remember having a discussion with Minisorella about this subject a few years ago when I advised her to just let her hair go its own way - d'you remember, Jenny? ;) Anyway, don't know if she kept it up or not, but with my hair the only important thing to keeping it looking OK is the actual haircut itself. I know, I know! Pure vanity! :)

There aren't many good hairdressers around who know how to cut curly hair. At a pinch I could just about cut it myself, but it's quite hard to do and I just know I'd end up looking like a busted mattress! Do you just have to to risk it with any old hairdressers while out on the road?

So, is this a topic that causes problems for any of our full timers and what solutions do you have, if any?

Decent electric, Braun or Wahl, plug into invertor only
5W power usage. A quick No. 8 allover.

[

I'm very lucky in that I have wash'n'go type hair,

Same here, I washed my hair and it went!:sad:

After two weeks my head looks like it has a fringe on the back of it, after several weeks it resembles a matted cobweb on an egg.
I use a Whal Professional hair cutter at home and my good lady looks for any bits I've missed. That's me done! The money I have saved on barbers/hairdressers would probably buy me a top of the range Niesmann Bischkopf.

Marie you can buy them kits on Amazon that at least cuts your fringe or bangs as the Americans would say :eek: Least you could keep the front tamed

I have seen your hair and lucky you there's a lot of it .... It might be a case of going the hairdressers once in a blue moon. I just stick mine up when I'm in the van ...its easier than dealing with this th[9].jpg

Marie you can buy them kits on Amazon that at least cuts your fringe or bangs as the Americans would say :eek: Least you could keep the front tamed

I have seen your hair and lucky you there's a lot of it .... It might be a case of going the hairdressers once in a blue moon. I just stick mine up when I'm in the van ...its easier than dealing with this View attachment 63063

Thanks for the tip, Jac.

The woman in the pic probably paid good money to look like that! heh heh :D

Hi Gang,
This is actually a Good Point that MSG is pondering,
Obviously it’s not necessarily an issue for most Guys, (we just use a hand clipper), & Some women I will wager, But a Solution has to be found for most women!.

It will just have to be ‘Budgeted l’ for in a Your personal costings & maybe combine it with your 3 monthly ‘Your Day’ a little look fwd too on your calendar for whatever you want to do, Hair, Nails, Peruse Some shops, a west end show, a Night in a Travel Lodge Or Whatever else you want to spend your £100 on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will add, That My ‘Look fwd too’ Day Normally involves Food, & Tends to be Daily as apposed to 3 Monthly!

I have two pairs of hair cutting scissors, one of which is for thinning, and after I have hacked and chopped it a bit, I wear a hat for the next two weeks.:lol-049:

I just stick mine up when I'm in the van ...its easier than dealing with this View attachment 63063

That's exactly my hair if I wash and go! People think I'm stressing about nothing but look at it! :scared:

I do remember our chat Marie... and how I wished I had your lustrous curls instead of my candy floss with a good bend! Mine's better if I let it get a bit longer I've found. The great thing about curly hair - even mine - is that it's more forgiving of a poor cut than very straight hair that tends to show every flaw. I'm sure you'd find a decent enough hairdresser now and then when you're on your travels but maybe you could just trim the fringe more regularly yourself to keep it out of your eyes. Then you can tie the rest back if it gets in the way. I would love to see your hair long... bet it's stunning!

We cut each others hair and have done for a few years.

Some of the awful hair cuts my wife has had at hairdressers,

I am much better at cutting her hair than some of those so called professionals.

:idea:

Everyone should try it.

:wave:

That's exactly my hair if I wash and go! People think I'm stressing about nothing but look at it! :scared:

I do remember our chat Marie... and how I wished I had your lustrous curls instead of my candy floss with a good bend! Mine's better if I let it get a bit longer I've found. The great thing about curly hair - even mine - is that it's more forgiving of a poor cut than very straight hair that tends to show every flaw. I'm sure you'd find a decent enough hairdresser now and then when you're on your travels but maybe you could just trim the fringe more regularly yourself to keep it out of your eyes. Then you can tie the rest back if it gets in the way. I would love to see your hair long... bet it's stunning!

Thank you, Jennie, flattery gets you everywhere ;) :D

The odd grey one starting to creep in these days!

And yours is more than OK! - I think we get too hung up on appearances.

These days I care even less. Selfish really; the only time I see myself is when I look in a mirror (not many of those in our house) so it's only everybody else who suffers from eye damage the rest of the time. heh heh.

Am I bovvered? Nah! ;) :)

We cut each others hair and have done for a few years.

Some of the awful hair cuts my wife has had at hairdressers,

I am much better at cutting her hair than some of those so called professionals.

Everyone should try it.

Right, you're on!

My first hair appt. on the road will be with you if you're nearby at any time.

I asked Neil couple of days ago if he would have a go, but no response yet...

Wish I could take my head off and stick it on a stand, cut it myself no problem then :raofl:

I suffer when I'm away as every morning when I wake up I look like a cross between Ken Dod & RoadRunner. The only thing that sorts my hair out is a shower.
Most mornings Phill asks if I've brushed my hair, to which the answer is usually "Yes & it made no difference."

Apart from getting it cut the only thing I do with my hair is wash it when I'm in the shower.

I run a brush through when it's still wet then don't touch it again until next time it's washed.

Don't use a hairdryer either. I had one, but it broke about 10 years ago.
I only used it on really cold days if my hair was still wet and I had to go out, so no big miss.

So it's the CUTTING when on the road that's the problem.
Shall have to train Neil, like you say Harrow ;)

Right, you're on!

My first hair appt. on the road will be with you if you're nearby at any time.

I asked Neil couple of days ago if he would have a go, but no response yet...

Wish I could take my head off and stick it on a stand, cut it myself no problem then :raofl:

Ask Neil again on a dry day and take a chair in the garden and tell him what you want trimmed and how you want your hair.

There are without doubt good professional hair dressers,

but some ask what you want, then ignore that and do it their own way.

The advantage Neil would have is he does not have to rush, if it takes an hour the first time so be it.

A Business opportunity may exist for an enterprising Livaboard for a ‘Mobile Hairdresser’ To Do it ‘AS PART’ of (Not to Fund) their Lifestyle choice!.
Low start up cost !

A Business opportunity may exist for an enterprising Livaboard for a ‘Mobile Hairdresser’ To Do it ‘AS PART’ of (Not to Fund) their Lifestyle choice!.
Low start up cost !
Yes good idea.
Do a bit of hairdressing and get some food shopping paid for.

You do have to be in the right frame of mind to cut hair well, but yes why not ?

Well I’m Halfway there Harrow I’ve got a Bowl & a Retractable Craft Knife !.

Sooo, Who’s First ?

Well I descided to stop dying my hair and not have it cut again over 2 years ago and I haven’t so now I have long greyblonde hair I just tie it up when it needs a wash so now just have a dead end trim now and again

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back