GP, asked to buy Blood Pressure Monitor, Oximeter Blood & thermometer

harrow

Asked to buy Blood Pressure Monitor, blood oximeter (level of oxygen in your blood) & a thermometer.

Our GP has texted us to purchase these items so they can remotely diagnose us while we stay at home.

Have others been asked to purchase these things ?

Derekoak

I have Bp monitor for my own information as I vary my 2nd bp pill depending. I bought an oximeter when covid started as I thought I could help l myself and local family to monitor oxygen after they got symptoms. We have had several thermometers as standard first aid kit for decades

channa

I bought a blood pressure monitor suffering from high bp and it proved invaluable

I mentioned to the hospital consultant I had one an omron same as at the surgery. He delighted and said he in a lot of ways was more interested in what was happening on dialysis days. The bottom line. Was I recorded gave the results and thus re tweaked my medication also no white coat syndrome at home

mariesnowgoose

The GPs message says these are low cost items, they might be on a GPs wages :unsure:
Exactly. That sort of claptrap statement really pees me off.

Low cost for whom and what are they comparing the 'cost' with to make such a stupid blanket statement?

If people are on a very low income, maybe needing to use food banks, how the hell can they be expected to fork out for this sort of extra kit when they can't even afford to feed themselves? Whatever happened to the original NHS strapline 'good healthcare should be available to all regardless of wealth'?!!!

harrow

I suppose if the results are incorrect the GPs will then say ring 111 and the ambulance will be too busy to pick us up !

channa

Yeah, but all us guys can afford to buy and run motorhomes, so we're hardly likely to not be able to afford this extra medical kit at home if really needed.

I go back to my previous post - what about those who can't afford to buy the kit for home use?
Then the level of healthcare is compromised. It’s far from a level playing field.

Like others when health failed and income dried up on the bones of my arse and had a reasonably easy but time and emotional journey with the dwp...that’s how I got involved in pip and esa advocacy

Robmac

Yeah, but all us guys can afford to buy and run motorhomes, so we're hardly likely to not be able to afford this extra medical kit at home if really needed.

I go back to my previous post - what about those who can't afford to buy the kit for home use?
Last year Marie I went for my annual Diabetes and Blood pressure check up.

The nurse said I should be checking my blood pressure on a regular basis and they had a number of machines which they loan to patients for this purpose. I didn't take them up on it but bought one myself instead.

I do doubt though that they would have enough to supply all of their patients who couldn't afford them, but maybe prescription is the answer depending on the patients circumstances?

harrow

Last year Marie I went for my annual Diabetes and Blood pressure check up.

The nurse said I should be checking my blood pressure on a regular basis and they had a number of machines which they loan to patients for this purpose. I didn't take them up on it but bought one myself instead.

I do doubt though that they would have enough to supply all of their patients who couldn't afford them, but maybe prescription is the answer depending on the patients circumstances?
Can I respond, the GP practice have said they are not going to use any of their equipment because of possible contamination.

oppy

In a kind of backhanded way we are lucky, Sue has a heart problem which leaves her vulnerable to a stroke and or heart attack, so we have this sort of stuff already and because our son is type 1 diabetic and I am supposed to be type 2 we seem to have accumulated the rest of the stuff, but really for us it is how we feel

Last edited:

witzend

A friend gave me a BP monitor strapped around my wrist it blew its self up and checked pressure ever so often when I tried it when in doctors surgery after she had taken my BP it was way out so I'd not rely on one

2cv

I took my wrist bp monitor to a gp appointment to compare with his device, it came out very close.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:233)

maingate, channa, Edina, mariesnowgoose, wildebus, dunfillin, Derekoak, reiverlad, Clunegapyears, jacquigem, mistericeman, mjvw, hextal, Toffeecat, yeoblade, st3v3, izwozral, trevskoda, 955itriple, sparrks, Asterix, SimonM, Scotia, mofish, Fazerloz, Jayg, 2cv, POI Admin, yorkieowl, Nidge, Alberto, TeamRienza, Bigshug, Tonybvi, Robmac, mark61, Andysm, oppy, witzend, n brown, kensowerby, hmssnake, Rapido9, Mike White, JVG, Goggles, GinaRon, Boots, Floydster, Backin5, runnach, jeanette, rugbyken, scampa, mikejay, FULL TIMER, molly 2, Wooie1958, phase3begins, helen262, jagmanx, Steve C, keith49, Ribble, fiona68, ajb70, Dezi, DorsetDrifter, iampatman, sherry, Okta, Wully, undertaker, colinmd, yorkslass, trixie88, paulhelenwilko, ian1950, 1807truckman, Nabsim, barge1914, Farman, Yelto, Sharon the Cat, GreggBear, ironman, lthoel2, Herbenny, Debroos, toasty, number14, Martingrant, Livotlout, GWAYGWAY, britcoms, Carrerasax, kevlakes, bobj808, highlandron, richardstubbs, hank, Popey, zzr1400tim, Trotter, Biggarmac, in h, vtwinner, denmar, Paulajc, landoboguy, Justjack, ARDAS, Clummzie, Sky, r4dent, AvalonAdventurers, RoadTrek Boy, Tezza33, Chip, antiquesam, SHABBINS, delicagirl, Caz, robert webber, smg, alwaysared, Jean, QFour, I&MK, Linda, Allen, Tony Lee, jennyp19, Wildrock, maxsdad, charlie356, davidjlambert, horlicks, Su James, Somerled, frederico, davidbr, Neelie Mc, ChrisInNotts, royh28, RV2MAX, Ironjaws, Forcesixwindy, tugboat, Fdhadi, gipsy_jo, powerplus, guitarcamper, Stewpot, phillhend, davecumbria, mygrassisblue, TangoGypsy, Rob H, Homenaway, AllanD, TJBi, Hughendon, roadroamer, NorthS, Stoneyphil, b0p, MonasDelight, Winger, twink, Skiptonian, tadpole58, walpeter, murfyxt, davef, Geraldine, brakers, stirlingb, campervanannie, Tweedy, delphin, REC, RogerO, belbri, tribute11, HappyNessie, smycker, eddyt, Raptor107, betsy22, kangooroo, Monkeybrand, rustydog, Tookey, Jezz, Silver sprinter, Penny13, vwalan, Markd, jerrycan, Rond, gid7, MollyChausson, Bob, Gerhard, paul99, Silvergran, Russ1014, Shockingdog, ginfearsdad, Lightning, yorkscol, Robina, mgc, Oasis, wilfyboy, suem, harmy, Scampi30, Bouydog, wrp, StickyW, topchook, Matchlock, eeek, Hallmut, desidog, Nomad, Gadabout2, silverweed, Bougie, Chrissie Bov, Litlandy,