Good or bad

COCKY

Free Member
Elie & The Royal Burgh of Earlsferry Community Council
19 hrs ·
Freedom Camping - Options Paper on Motorhome Use in Fife - Consultation Draft
In response to pressing concerns expressed by community groups in Fife and in consultation with Fife Council, Fife Coast & Countryside Trust (FCCT) have compiled an options paper to consider pressures arising from the increase of Motorhome users across Fife. The attached draft paper highlights challenges, opportunities, and risks with potential options for the future. We would be pleased to have your views and ideas on any of its contents by January 31st, 2020.
Comments can be fed back to:
Email: ask.us@fifecountryside.co.uk (please add Motorhome Consultation to the subject)
Telephone: 01592 656080
Address: FCCT (Motorhome Consultation) Hotpot Wynd, Dysart, Fife, KY12TQ”
Link: https://d1ssu070pg2v9i.cloudfront.net/…/Freedom-Camping-Opt…
For anyone wishing to see a hard copy of the document copies can be read at Elie Library.

Like the bit about PERMIT Parking and having to apply for a permit.

Funding would need to be secured for initial set up costs however if a charge was made for the permit it is envisaged that the scheme would become self-financing

Amazing that they are using up to date Caravan Site Regulations from 1960. Wonder how many MHs were about then. It's a bit like this rule of 6m between units. There is no such law it is just a recommendation by the various Caravan Clubs which all local authorities use.

Yes I found this an interesting and fairly fair read . I personally think that the days of free camping at popular sites are numbered and that some form of permit and /or charge/donation system to cover essential services(drains/water) will be required. £10 seems a bit steep ,£5 likely to get more support ?

Well I have to applaud Fife for what they are doing. First they know what they are talking about, because unlike others who simply put up signage and barriers they have done their research. I can only speak for myself but I have no problems paying £10 a night, but only if chemical waste management measures are in place.
I have only glanced over the report, but when I get a chance I will read in greater detail. Possibly East Lothian could take a leaf out of the Kingdoms book, and actually do something constructive for a change.
Another encouraging part of the report was we are not a problem to be dealt with, but we are contributors to Fifes local economy which should be harnessed.
When you compare this with Argyle and Bute charging a car £9 for 9 hours parking in Mull, Arrochar, and other locations its definitely a lot better.
Its good to know that they understand us, and the vehicles that we use.
A similar project is being done on Loch Ore, £10 a night with chemical and grey water waste disposal, and £12.50 with EHU.
Hopefully this might be the start of better times, well I hope so.
Fife is a Wonderfull part of Scotland, lets keep it that way.

I have just had a conversation with the person in charge of this, and I was impressed with both his level of knowledge and his support for changes towards “wild campers”. We both agreed that what’s required is a national policy, and this could be the start of a better situation up here. These proposals include the installation within Fife of several chemical and grey water waste points. I suggested that signs be put up at carparks with no waste points informing us where the nearest chemical waste point is. I also suggested that the council could contact local campsites to find out if they would welcome providing chemical waste facilities for a fee. I highlighted the situation at Loch Ore, but he knew the man in charge there and he was fully aware of what has been done there. I also suggested contacting Arran council who provide chemical waste facilities to see if they could advise further on this issue.
I felt that he sees us not as a problem, but as an opportunity. He also made an interesting point. He felt that at night that there was less chance of a carpark with Motorhomes being vandalised and misused, than a carpark that was empty. He definitely seemed to be thinking positively, and forward looking, unlike other parts of our country.
Also I phoned him but he was not available, but I left my mobile and he phoned back 20 minutes later. I reckon he is genuinely interested in what we think. So if you fancy a chat.
01592 656080

Last edited:
Someone told me bananas came from there. :unsure:
About time councils got the sensible head on for once and tried to bring monies in rather than chase folk away.

You are way to sensible Trev, fancy a job in East Lothian taking down barriers :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back