Gaslow cylinders

mariesnowgoose

I have been offered this pair of 7.3kg Gaslow cylinders today with all the hoses and fittings for £200.

I know zilch about Gaslow stuff.

a) Are they any good?
b) If they are, is that a reasonable price for them?

IMG_8746.jpg

The price I think is ok. Gas low allegedly have a 10 year life. There should be a date on the cylinders New 6kg cyl about £145 each. I think cheapest eBay twin full set up is £450. I think. Brian

There is a date code stamped somewhere (might be on the base?) - worth checking to see how much is remaining (think they have an official 10 year life?).
You can certainly use past the date (they don't self-destruct or anything) but the lower the official life less, the cheaper they should be.

I don't think £200 is an incredible bargain for them and they look pretty rough as well.
I bought a pair of bigger ones (althugh only one was official Gaslow) and a hose from a Forum Member for £140, and then bought a new filler kit for around £75 (IIRC), so overall a pretty similar deal in cost - but meant I had much newer pipework and the cylinder looked a lot nicer!

Check, your .locker size for fitting check date on bottle , i had a in locker fill point that worked ok for me , hang on to calor bottle as lpg can be hard to find in Scotland i had 1 x 6,kg gasit , did about 5 days winter heating on 24 ,7 having 1 of each is a good option .have a .look on gasit web site for for prices and other options .Charlie and Karen run vangas a gaslows business.

Sounds too much that to me, they look well battered. How did they get battered? My 12kg one is 12 years old and its like new as it never moves. Thats the whole point! Offer them a ton Marie.

Sounds too much that to me, they look well battered. How did they get battered? My 12kg one is 12 years old and its like new as it never moves. Thats the whole point! Offer them a ton Marie.

I think a polite thanks but no thanks might my best option, Barry.
Which I've now done...

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone, v. useful (y) :)

They are between 13 - 18yrs old, battered and way overpriced. I bought a secondhand but unused Gaslow R67 11kg for £80.

IMG_20210125_205045.jpg

I thought there was a problem finding self fill LPG outlets, and it is getting harder.

In terms of fitment space, this photo may be of some use?
The Yellow Gaslow is the 11kg Cylinder and the Red Calor is a 6kg Cylinder
1611668150968.png

As an aside, the condition of this Gaslow is much more like you should expect to see rather than the ones in the original posts picture as they are designed to be stuck in the locker and not taken out again.

Question ref dates .... So the cylinder is recommended to be retested after 10 years. Once tested, how is the next test date noted on the cylinder? The embossed 'test by' date is no longer applicable - is there an official label stuck over it with a new date?

According to Gaslow they are tested for 15 years. Looking closely at Marie's pic the manu date looks to be 1986 retest date 2001 so are quite old bottles if i am making the dates out right.
At £99 per bottle for a retest I would think they just send out another bottle.

Chainsaw Charlie (ex-WC) has established a full time business over the last couple of years supplying and fitting Gaslow products etc.
The jury seems to be out on this one? :unsure:
Charlie still does the Gaslow bottles and now has Autogas 2000 as well as Vangas Marie. Give him a shout if you have any queries.#
If I remember right the earlier Gaslow bottles were stamped for 15 years

Chainsaw Charlie (ex-WC) has established a full time business over the last couple of years supplying and fitting Gaslow products etc.
The jury seems to be out on this one? :unsure:

Charlie now owns Autogas Leisure 2000 so I reckon you should be able to fill up there if you are heading North.

There are quite a few outlets still going though as I found out in a recent thread.

Charlie still does the Gaslow bottles and now has Autogas 2000 as well as Vangas Marie. Give him a shout if you have any queries.#
If I remember right the earlier Gaslow bottles were stamped for 15 years

Sorry Neil - cross posting!

There is a 24 hour fill point on the Team Valley Trading Estate. you need to register a credit or debit card with them. Proctor is the name of the company.

If you want cheaper gas Marie, you can buy direct from thee Energas depot, also on TVTE. They are exchange bottles but cheaper than Calor.
Energas, Earlsway, TVTE. 0191 487 7797

Theere is no deposit required on bottles above 6 kg.

There is a 24 hour fill point on the Team Valley Trading Estate. you need to register a credit or debit card with them. Proctor is the name of the company.

If you want cheaper gas Marie, you can buy direct from thee Energas depot, also on TVTE. They are exchange bottles but cheaper than Calor.
Energas, Earlsway, TVTE. 0191 487 7797

Theere is no deposit required on bottles above 6 kg.

Thanks for that, Jim.

We have usually bought our exchange bottles from Energas in the past, they are very good.

Proctor - never heard about them 'til now, so really useful info, ta! (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back