Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D Update.

Wooie1958

Must be pretty damned serious, it`s still down, there are unconfirmed reports that it`s a " Ransomware attack " :eek:

Wooie1958

This thread is for information about Garmin sat navs and in particular the Camper 760 series which a lot of members have and use.

Last edited:

Wooie1958

Update for Garmin Express ................................. 7.0.2.0

This will probably contain increased security updates due to the recent problems they`ve just had with the Ransomware attack o_O

Tonybvi

Still waiting to get connected back to the outside world - latest date is end August!! No landline, no broadband, no internet, no wifi and no mobile (no reception here so piggy back on wifi). Sending this from the nearest car park where I get a decent mobile signal so updating Garmin on my Mac will have to wait.

A very frustrated Tony

Wooie1958

You`ll be a millionaire Tony when you get all the compo for loss of connection o_O

How are you fixed for a borra :ROFLMAO:

Tonybvi

Guess what just to add to my frustration - both BT and Openreach compensation schemes have been suspended for the duration due to Covid 19!!

Tonybvi

At long last we got put back in communication with the outside world today! Garmin Express successfully updated

Wooie1958

Update for Garmin Express ................................. 7.1.0.0

Keep up to date folks especially after the recent ransomware attack because there will be the latest security patches and updates built into this latest version (y)

Tookey

Update for Garmin Express ................................. 7.1.0.0

Keep up to date folks especially after the recent ransomware attack because there will be the latest security patches and updates built into this latest version (y)
Wooie,

You seem like a fan, what is it about Garmin that you like?

I am sooo tired of reading reviews where the writer never seems to make up their mind about recommending TomTom or Garmin, none seem to commit and I can't believe they are that 'equal'

SimonM

I’m definitely a fan of Garmin. I’ve still got 4 of them to use. I’ve had Garmin for over 20 years - I’d be lost without them. ;)

Wooie1958

Wooie,

You seem like a fan, what is it about Garmin that you like?

I am sooo tired of reading reviews where the writer never seems to make up their mind about recommending TomTom or Garmin, none seem to commit and I can't believe they are that 'equal'

I`ve had sat navs ever since they first came out ( early 90`s ) and was devoted to TomTom having had several of them upgrading regular.

When my last one ( GO 520T ) started playing up i had a look round and decided not to spend too much so went for one of the chinese NozaTec sat navs.

It seemed good value at £40, it was considerably cheaper than the TomTom`s and i could pair a reversing camera to it.

I had great problems trying to load 3rd party POI`s to it but that wasn`t the end of the world because apart from that it seemed fine with the 7" screen.

It only lasted about 10 months then threw an almightly wobbly at the worst possible moment and we ended up in central Paris which is not good :eek:

I then decided to go back and spend some proper money on a new sat nav, the latest TomTom`s back then definitely would not let you load 3rd party POI`s onto them so that ruled them out in my mind.

A good search round the interweb brought up the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D with 7" screen and you could put all your dimensions weight, length, width and height into it, load 3rd party POI`s ( very easy to do and takes a minute or so ) and have Lifetime Map updates which seemed good to me.

I splashed out a good few hundred quid and bought one and basically i never looked back.

IMHO they are the dogs bollocks and do the job very well, Garmin customer services are the best i`ve had dealings with and nothing is too much trouble for them.

I`ve had it now for over 5 years and the only downside was the internal memory isn`t big enough and after the initial download from new it was showing 99% full and asking for a SD card so i put a good quality 32GB SDHC card in it and it`s be fine ever since.

You` shouldn`t have to buy an extra SDHC card to increase the memory in order to get the 4 free quarterly map updates ( which can be nearly 10GB each ) when you`ve spent the thick end of £300 on a brand new sat nav :mad:

When i upgrade it will be the latest large screen Garmin without hesitation due to my experience with it over the years.

No sat nav out there is perfect and it`s had it`s moments, there are times when i refuse to go down a road it recommends but it soon recalculates the route.

The other thing i do is to review any route calculated before blindly setting off and likewise i`ve re-routed it because i didn`t like the one it chose.

I try to keep this thread up to date because there are lots of members with Garmin sat navs and they appreciate posts about updates to Garmin Express which you need along with Garmin POI Loader all of which are free to download at Garmin.com.

The latest Garmin Camper 780 looks very temping but my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D is working fine so i`ll wait a bit longer before i upgrade.

Tookey

I`ve had sat navs ever since they first came out ( early 90`s ) and was devoted to TomTom having had several of them upgrading regular.

When my last one ( GO 520T ) started playing up i had a look round and decided not to spend too much so went for one of the chinese NozaTec sat navs.

It seemed good value at £40, it was considerably cheaper than the TomTom`s and i could pair a reversing camera to it.

I had great problems trying to load 3rd party POI`s to it but that wasn`t the end of the world because apart from that it seemed fine with the 7" screen.

It only lasted about 10 months then threw an almightly wobbly at the worst possible moment and we ended up in central Paris which is not good :eek:

I then decided to go back and spend some proper money on a new sat nav, the latest TomTom`s back then definitely would not let you load 3rd party POI`s onto them so that ruled them out in my mind.

A good search round the interweb brought up the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D with 7" screen and you could put all your dimensions weight, length, width and height into it, load 3rd party POI`s ( very easy to do and takes a minute or so ) and have Lifetime Map updates which seemed good to me.

I splashed out a good few hundred quid and bought one and basically i never looked back.

IMHO they are the dogs bollocks and do the job very well, Garmin customer services are the best i`ve had dealings with and nothing is too much trouble for them.

I`ve had it now for over 5 years and the only downside was the internal memory isn`t big enough and after the initial download from new it was showing 99% full and asking for a SD card so i put a good quality 32GB SDHC card in it and it`s be fine ever since.

You` shouldn`t have to buy an extra SDHC card to increase the memory in order to get the 4 free quarterly map updates ( which can be nearly 10GB each ) when you`ve spent the thick end of £300 on a brand new sat nav :mad:

When i upgrade it will be the latest large screen Garmin without hesitation due to my experience with it over the years.

No sat nav out there is perfect and it`s had it`s moments, there are times when i refuse to go down a road it recommends but it soon recalculates the route.

The other thing i do is to review any route calculated before blindly setting off and likewise i`ve re-routed it because i didn`t like the one it chose.

I try to keep this thread up to date because there are lots of members with Garmin sat navs and they appreciate posts about updates to Garmin Express which you need along with Garmin POI Loader all of which are free to download at Garmin.com.

The latest Garmin Camper 780 looks very temping but my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D is working fine so i`ll wait a bit longer before i upgrade.
Thank you for giving up your time for that response, it is appreciated (y)

You on commision? 😆

Wooie1958

Thank you for giving up your time for that response, it is appreciated (y)

You on commision? 😆

Sadly not :( i just tell it how it is :)

We`ll probably now get the usual suspects come on saying that sat navs are useless and a waste of money, good old fashioned paper maps are better value and never lets them down.

That`s fine by me, it`s their choice and their opinion but my money and my choice is to have a Garmin sat navs, i also have one in the car (y)

SimonM

Wooie has basically just typed everything for me to save me from doing it. I have the occasional hiccup with it, that’s never ever caused a problem in the UK. Perhaps the mapping supplied is a lot better. However, I do get a little bit more of a hiccup in France, and I’ll simply blame the company who supply their details. Yes, it definitely needs a good quality 32gb SD card. Then it’ll handle all you can throw at it.

Wooie1958

One of the problems as SimonM says mainly in France is that a lot of the minor rural roads do not have any size or weight restrictions on them o_O

So basically any size of vehicle can use them many of which start small and narrow then can get only just wide enough for a car never mind a motorhome :eek:

The Garmin is only doing it`s job of getting you from A to B and obviously will take you down a road it thinks it suitable dimension wise.

Thankfully they are a lot quieter than ours here in the UK so usually you get away with it so long as the wheels stay on the road width wise.

Tookey

Here because your researching?

Best video I've found on the 780/785

Considering the 785 for its camera then start this vid at 9 mins for some dashcam info/examples