Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D Update.

silverweed

I have a Garmin Nuvi 3790 which must be about eight years old now. It is the ultra thin one that looks a little like an old iPhone. It still works well although it’s not had any map updates as they were not free then. Not much problem in the UK and in France just occasionally I find we are driving in the middle of a field as it’s a new road. The only problem I find is that in summer and especially in France the unit gets very hot very quickly and has then crashed a number of times or frozen until cooled down. I don’t know if this is a unit problem or a battery problem, I always use it plugin as very short battery life. My question is do the newer models suffer at all with this problem. I do like a sat nav for the lane guidance and the speedo

Wooie1958

My Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D is a few years old now, the heat doesn`t seem to bother it at all whilst driving and i have it running all the time.

My motorhome is a low profile so has not got the overcab shading that some models have, the unit is in full sun most of the time.

I do however take it off the mount and put it in the shade when parked up along with the separate dash cam.

silverweed

Yes I too take it off dash when parked and switch off but when being used it gets too hot to hold often. Maybe a design problem as they did not make the ultra thin one again

Wooie1958

Mine gets quite warm on sunny days but never too hot to handle, on dull days you can feel it slightly warmer than the ambient temperature.

Makes no difference whether it`s working on a route or just running in the background.

Wooie1958

Update for Garmin Express ................... 6.16.1.0 :hammer:

There must be something nasty out there on the interweb ( but they`ll never admit it ) for them to put out another update so quick after the last one :scared:

These updates contain security patches, bug fixes and updates, they are not there just to be annoying like some of the members on here think :rolleyes2:

Please keep you sat navs up to date folks :hammer: it`s free to do and only takes up a little of your time :dance:

P.S.

Please don`t come on saying ......................

i`ve had my sat nav for a thousand years now, never updated and it still works fine, we`ve heard it all before.

Snapster

I have a Garmin Nuvi 3790 which must be about eight years old now. It is the ultra thin one that looks a little like an old iPhone. It still works well although it’s not had any map updates as they were not free then. Not much problem in the UK and in France just occasionally I find we are driving in the middle of a field as it’s a new road. The only problem I find is that in summer and especially in France the unit gets very hot very quickly and has then crashed a number of times or frozen until cooled down. I don’t know if this is a unit problem or a battery problem, I always use it plugin as very short battery life. My question is do the newer models suffer at all with this problem. I do like a sat nav for the lane guidance and the speedo
I have a 3790, can’t say I have ever noticed it crash or freeze and it’s been on the windscreen all the time in the UK and France for years, I also have a Nuvicam in the car, last week when I went out in the car I saw a message on the screen that it had shut itself down due to extreme temperatures. It was 38 outside and the car was in full sun all day.

So, I would say that unless temperatures are extreme, yours should be able to handle the heat without any adverse affects.

Wooie1958

I have a 3790, can’t say I have ever noticed it crash or freeze and it’s been on the windscreen all the time in the UK and France for years, I also have a Nuvicam in the car, last week when I went out in the car I saw a message on the screen that it had shut itself down due to extreme temperatures. It was 38 outside and the car was in full sun all day.

So, I would say that unless temperatures are extreme, yours should be able to handle the heat without any adverse affects.

My stand alone Garmin 760 LMT-D and Transcend DrivePro 220 coped well with the 34C+ we experienced a short while back in France.

I did however take them out of the sun as soon as we parked up because being a low profile they have no shade at all.

Wooie1958

Update for Garmin Express ............................ 6.17.0.0 :hammer:

Update for Garmin Software .......................... 5.60 :hammer:

Different procedure during the update process and you need to disconnect and reconnect the sat nav then it will apply the new software version :hammer:

Tonybvi

Thanks Woo. Just completed it on my Mac. It took less than half an hour so i hope its ok. I'm now running:

GE 6.17.0.0
760 v5.60
Maps Europe 2020.20

Tony

witzend

Yes I too take it off dash when parked and switch off but when being used it gets too hot to hold
My Garmin a 50LM packed up completely while in Greece. I found it mentioned on the net once at home that it sometimes happens as the battery fails from the heat I replaced the battery and its been ok now for a couple of years

Wooie1958

Update for Garmin Express ............................ 6.19.0.0

Small update as well, only took a minute or so.

Tonybvi

Bizarrely enough I’ve just updated to 6.19.1.0!!

Thanks for the pm by the way

Tony

Wooie1958

Big quarterly update available ........................................ Full Coverage of Europe 2020.30

It`s a big one, 9.7GB so it`ll take a while but wasn`t too bad on BT Infinity (y)

izwozral

Update for Garmin Express ................... 6.16.1.0 🔨

There must be something nasty out there on the interweb ( but they`ll never admit it ) for them to put out another update so quick after the last one :scared:

These updates contain security patches, bug fixes and updates, they are not there just to be annoying like some of the members on here think :rolleyes2:

Please keep you sat navs up to date folks 🔨 it`s free to do and only takes up a little of your time :dance:

P.S.

Please don`t come on saying ......................

i`ve had my sat nav for a thousand years now, never updated and it still works fine, we`ve heard it all before.

I have had my sat nav for 45 years, it mostly works fine but it does get me lost a few times. Physically it is looking a bit worn but it can still scream at me at full volume "I said turn right you deaf tw4t".

I'll put up with it though as it does the ironing. ;)