Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D Update.

Wooie1958

Anyone else noticed just how big the latest ( 4th quarter ) Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D update is :scared: When i first got it i connected to Garmin Express to start everything off and was surprised to find that once it had done the first installation / update the Internal Storage was showing red and nearly full :mad2: I followed the advice and put a 8GB micro SDHC in and let it decide which way to split the data which it duly did :hammer: It split it pretty evenly and left it with 3.26GB free on the Internal Storage and 3.50GB free on the Memory Card and both showing a healthy blue :dance: After this latest update there is now only 743MB free on the Internal Storage and still 3.50GB free on the Memory Card. That means the latest update was 2.517GB which has all gone on the Internal Storage and pushed it into the red again :mad2: I`ve had a look at the files but can`t work where all the extra data is :rolleyes2:
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

carol

I've just bought one...haven't a clue how to use it compared to my Tomtom. Any tips Wooie? 😕

Wooie1958

First job is to get Garmin Express and get it installed / updated. Then get the Garmin POI Loader and follow the instructions on here to put our POI`s on, it`s very easy.

maingate

First job is to get Garmin Express and get it installed / updated. Then get the Garmin POI Loader and follow the instructions on here to put our POI`s on, it`s very easy. I have got one and I bought the Garmin wireless reversing camera, which is tiny but very good. I cannot get updates on mine because I threw out my phone line and BT contract for phone and broadband. My mifi cannot handle huge downloads for some reason (neither can my Fon). I just pop up to the Daughters house and use her Virgin superfast broadband. :)

carol

First job is to get Garmin Express and get it installed / updated. Then get the Garmin POI Loader and follow the instructions on here to put our POI`s on, it`s very easy. I've got POIs on. I've been using it in conjunction with my Tomtom for long journeys, but can't do simple things like choose type of route as I do with the Tomtom, eg, fastest route, avoid motorways etc.

Wooie1958

I've got POIs on. I've been using it in conjunction with my Tomtom for long journeys, but can't do simple things like choose type of route as I do with the Tomtom, eg, fastest route, avoid motorways etc. Settings > Navigation > Calculation Mode ........................ Set the type of route you want then ...... Save. Settings > Navigation > Avoidances ............................... Tick the ones you want to avoid then ........ Save.

Wooie1958

I have got one and I bought the Garmin wireless reversing camera, which is tiny but very good. I cannot get updates on mine because I threw out my phone line and BT contract for phone and broadband. My mifi cannot handle huge downloads for some reason (neither can my Fon). I just pop up to the Daughters house and use her Virgin superfast broadband. :) Have you done the latest update ? I did mine earlier this evening. It wasn`t there last week.

Last edited:

carol

Settings > Navigation > Calculation Mode ........................ Set the type of route you want then ...... Save. Settings > Navigation > Avoidances ............................... Tick the ones you want to avoid then ........ Save. Thank you! 😊

Wooie1958

Just spoke to Garmin UK customer support 0808 238 0000 and they say i just need to put a larger SDHC in and reconnect it to Garmin Express, and it will sort things out :hammer: They recommend a 32GB SDHC which i`ve already ordered so when it comes i`ll pop it in and report back. I must say that Garmin UK customer support has to be the nicest / politest customer support i`ve ever spoken to :dance: He listened carefully to my questions and then answered by talking to me and not at or over me like a lot seem to do these days :mad2: My only complaint is that i had to wait 10 minutes in a queue for an adviser :sad: P.S. There is an update for Garmin Express, go to ................... Settings ( little cog ) > About > Check for Updates to Express The latest version is 4.1.28.0

Last edited:

Steve121

Just spoke to Garmin UK customer support 0808 238 0000 and they say i just need to put a larger SDHC in and reconnect it to Garmin Express, and it will sort things out :hammer: They recommend a 32GB SDHC which i`ve already ordered so when it comes i`ll pop it in and report back. I must say that Garmin UK customer support has to be the nicest / politest customer support i`ve ever spoken to :dance: He listened carefully to my questions and then answered by talking to me and not at or over me like a lot seem to do these days :mad2: My only complaint is that i had to wait 10 minutes in a queue for an adviser :sad: P.S. There is an update for Garmin Express, go to ................... Settings ( little cog ) > About > Check for Updates to Express The latest version is 4.1.28.0 On the one or two occasions I've phoned Garmin's (free) support line I've also found them very helpful. If only all help lines were like this.

Wooie1958

On the one or two occasions I've phoned Garmin's (free) support line I've also found them very helpful. If only all help lines were like this. How very true, life would be good :dance:

StevenJ

I haven't had time to charge it yet prior to updating , MH starter battery failed as well , tried one of those electronic jump starters and it wasn't up to the task so that's going back. Hopefully get satnav charged tomorrow and update it in the evening. Talking of customer service Amazon were brilliant about returning the jump starter , typed my number into the website , clicked call me and my phone rang instantly , a recorded message said I would be attended to as soon as possible , my computer screen updated informing me I had 1 minute to wait and a very helpful young man on the other end sorted out my problem. Very efficient.

StevenJ

Fully charged the garmin whilst at work today , plugged into the laptop opened garmin express , clicked a couple of buttons and the update was done in less than an hour. All went sweetly , I was lucky enough to have a spare 32gb card which I popped in first. I'm guessing that they say no bigger than 32gb because most devices can only read fat32 and apparently it is only stable up to 32gb, later operating systems such as win10 don't even give you the option to format in fat32. There are 3rd party programs around though that will format large drives / usb / memory cards in fat32 if required , I use one by verbatim called smartdisk fat32 tool. I only mention it because with the size of these updates we may require larger memory cards in the future and ( call me skeptical ) garmin will probably offer to sell us "specially designed" 64gb cards. :idea:

Wooie1958

How did the latest update split the data ? When i did it with an 8GB card in it put all the 2.51GB update onto the Internal Storage which put it back into the red :mad2: It left the Memory Card alone and is still only half full and showing a healthy blue. Apparently if i put a 32GB card in and reinstall the map it will split it better i.e. more evenly.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:10)