Fuel additives

Have you considered having the engine chipped? I have no experience of it but have read it can improve mpg.

Think I’m getting around 25 mile to the gallon wae my lump I’ve had 30 on a long run wae the divers boot off. I’m always wary of oil and fuel additives never heard of that one though it’ll be interesting to see how you get on. A re map on an auto can be awkward. I had my new crafter done took from 140 to 178 auto gearbox didn’t like it so had it put back to factory settings.

Five ton tag loaded to the gunnels. It’s got a 2.3 fiat at 180 pulls like a train must have a turbo as big as the engine. I’m amazed what they can get out these modern engines.

Yep mine is 2.8 turbo knocking out 120bhp and will drop to 25mpg at 60mph, I could pull a higher gearing but was lucky to get a 11/43 diff as apossed to the city 8/41 which it came with giving it 2500rpm at 45mph, now I get 55mph at 2500rpm.

A friend of mine uses powerenhancer 2-EHN and swears by it he says. Maybe a comparison test between standard and premium diesel fuels might give you some idea.

A friend of mine uses powerenhancer 2-EHN and swears by it he says. Maybe a comparison test between standard and premium diesel fuels might give you some idea.
A compression test will show nout other that your rings/bore and valves are good, you would require a rolling road and about 10.000 pounds of test/ emission gear to find out, any saving will be eaten up by the cost of additives used.

Most if not all bottles are little more than snake, oil IMHO....

As for any sort of DIY road based comparison test...

GOOD LUCK....

There are so many variables involved you realistically haven't got a cat in hells chance of comparison....

Does anyone seriously think the major manufacturers would go to the lengths they do IF they could get away with just turning a bunch of folks loose in their motorhomes

A compression test will show nout other that your rings/bore and valves are good, you would require a rolling road and about 10.000 pounds of test/ emission gear to find out, any saving will be eaten up by the cost of additives used.
Come on Trev, are you reading these posts using linux?

Come on Trev, are you reading these posts using linux?

He's definitely talking in a Linux dialect, Terry! ;) :cool:

Back on subject, I swear by Costco Premium Diesel (which as most will know is the only kind diesel they sell).
Don't have any real scientific evidence to back it up, but car and camper seem to run better and use less fuel than they did before?

Good luck with the additive, Rog. Wonder if there any Costcos in Portugal? :unsure:

He's definitely talking in a Linux dialect, Terry! ;) :cool:

Back on subject, I swear by Costco Premium Diesel (which as most will know is the only kind diesel they sell).
Don't have any real scientific evidence to back it up, but car and camper seem to run better and use less fuel than they did before?

Good luck with the additive, Rog. Wonder if there any Costcos in Portugal? :unsure:
I use the Costco premium too and would agree with what you have found the only problem is my nearest Costco is 17 miles away.🤨

My old 2.8 JTD Ducato used to run smoother when I added a little 2 Stroke engine oil to the diesel. Didn't make much difference to the mpg but I could turn the radio down a bit. :LOL:

hi rog i use premium 245 by bg i chuck in a tin full every now and then seems to work as i have no probs at mot time
regards kev

Driving it carefully comes naturally to me after forty years tramping but we broke down in France two or three years ago, and the problem was a clogged EGR valve. Everybody since has said that I should ‘drive it like I stole it’ but I don’t always find it very easy to do that, it doesn’t come easily. So my main reason for trying a good quality fuel additive is, hopefully, it will systematically keep the whole engine clean and unclogged and running as well as I can reasonably expect.
The upcoming trip to the foreign seems to me like the ideal opportunity to put Hydra Maximus to the test and see if it is as good as the advertising blurb says it is. I should be able to get a realistic average mpg after the trip of 3.5K to 4 K over the three month period.

Driving it carefully comes naturally to me after forty years tramping but we broke down in France two or three years ago, and the problem was a clogged EGR valve. Everybody since has said that I should ‘drive it like I stole it’ but I don’t always find it very easy to do that, it doesn’t come easily. So my main reason for trying a good quality fuel additive is, hopefully, it will systematically keep the whole engine clean and unclogged and running as well as I can reasonably expect.
The upcoming trip to the foreign seems to me like the ideal opportunity to put Hydra Maximus to the test and see if it is as good as the advertising blurb says it is. I should be able to get a realistic average mpg after the trip of 3.5K to 4 K over the three month period.
I drive to the rev counter, not the speedo and have never had any bother with any diesel engined vehicle I have owned. Some people read that maximum torque is at a certain speed and drive in 5th or 6th gear at very low revs. I would never drive in a high gear at under 2,000 revs and would never drive in 6th gear unless I could run at 65-70 mph. Which means 6th gear was not used very often. 5th gear on a Motorway is a good way of cleaning out the top end of a diesel engine. Certain additives can help, Redex is an Upper Cylinder Lubricant (read the bottle).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back