From another Forum

vindiboy

QUOTE I've rung a few oil companies to no avail except Shell who indicate that winter blend diesel is delivered from the 15th November but of course the petrol stations do not know. Clearly I don't want to fill up the MH and brim the tank with summer diesel as if it does get really cold then I could have an issue. Guess I will wait a week and visit a busy station to ensure that l fill with winter blend. QUOTE " I copied this from another Forum, I have never heard that one before , Winter Diesel ? never heard of it , never had any problems with Diesel either, except paying for it sometimes hee hee,

QUOTE I've rung a few oil companies to no avail except Shell who indicate that winter blend diesel is delivered from the 15th November but of course the petrol stations do not know. Clearly I don't want to fill up the MH and brim the tank with summer diesel as if it does get really cold then I could have an issue. Guess I will wait a week and visit a busy station to ensure that l fill with winter blend. QUOTE " I copied this from another Forum, I have never heard that one before , Winter Diesel ? never heard of it , never had any problems with Diesel either, except paying for it sometimes hee hee,
You've never had an issue cos you've been buying winter blend in cold weather....

Didn’t know such a thing existed, I’ve always bought the cheapest diesel, never had any probs.

For front wheel drive vans I suspect that the proximity of fuel tanks to the engine and heat flow across them would be sufficient to stave off any real problems.
More modern engines 'spill" unused fuel back to the tank and this obviously helps.
Some engines even have thermostatically controlled fuel coolers to reduce overheating problems!
It's not likely to be a big deal as summer diesel is good down to -7°C anyway.
Chill out 😁😁

Last edited:
Winter diesel is critical is cold countries or if like me if you ski from the van. Winter diesel is made up of different mixes depending on the temperature of the market. Hence although it’s dearer if you ever take a van on a ski trip fill up with diesel up the mountain as the protection will be to say -30.

Problem used to be wax forming and clogging the fuel filters. Problem on farms filling up on farm storage tanks in early autumn and still using it in mid Winter.

For front wheel drive vans I suspect that the proximity of fuel tanks to the engine and heat flow across them would be sufficient to stave off any real problems.
More modern engines 'spill" unused fuel back to the tank and this obviously helps.
Some engines even have thermostatically controlled fuel coolers to reduce overheating problems!
It's not likely to be a big deal as summer diesel is good down to -7°C anyway.
Chill out 😁😁
Minus 16c some winters her,fuel sitting over night in that looks like a big lollypop,er if using red esp. ;)

I remember one year in Scotland (80's) when I was working for my Father in Law and it was freezing I had to light a fire under the fuel tank to get going, I still put a bit of petrol in when it is cold, you would be surprised how smooth it runs after

I remember one year in Scotland (80's) when I was working for my Father in Law and it was freezing I had to light a fire under the fuel tank to get going, I still put a bit of petrol in when it is cold, you would be surprised how smooth it runs after
We did that when we were working in Hungary and Romania, mind you the derv must have been at least 25% water anyway

Do you not remember Anika Rice bottom prancing around extolling the values of Esso non-gelling winter diesel . I do and it still pains me, to remember having to change my Golf's fuel filter when It turned solid at 0 degrees. One reason the diesel car was NOT popular in the 80's. Having to drive the service van abroad to unfreeze lorry fuel tanks with big tarpaulins, a petrol generator and a paraffin blower heater.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back